Re: Regular Expression Question

  • Hugo Paulissen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
      > How do I search for a period (.) at the beginning of a line and
      replace it
      > with an asterisk (*)? I want to replace all of them in a document.

      Hello James,

      You don't need a regular Expression for that. Just look for "^P." (^P
      stands for paragraph mark) and replace with "^P*".

      Note: If the period appears at the beginning of the file you may have
      to replace that manually.

      Help says:
      The Find and Replace dialog boxes accept tokens to represent special
      characters:
      ^T = Tab ($09)
      ^B = Page break ($0C)
      ^P = Paragraph (carriage-return/line-feed pair)

      The following are not available in NoteTab Pro:
      ^C = Carriage-return ($0D)
      ^L = Line-feed ($0A)

      Hugo

      Come over to the clips list if you still need that regex ;-)
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2004
        Hugo Paulissen wrote:

        >> How do I search for a period (.) at the beginning of a line and
        >
        > replace it
        >
        >> with an asterisk (*)? I want to replace all of them in a document.
        >

        > Hello James,
        >
        > You don't need a regular Expression for that. Just look for "^P." (^P
        > stands for paragraph mark) and replace with "^P*".
        >
        > Note: If the period appears at the beginning of the file you may have
        > to replace that manually.
        > Regards,
        >
        > Hugo
        >
        > Come over to the clips list if you still need that regex ;-)

        James,

        I struggle with Regexp every time I try to use it in the Find box or in
        a script. 'Goto', Help > Help Topics > Index, scroll down to REGEXP.

        Help indicates, to find matches at the beginning of a line use a leading
        caret.

        Caret (^)
        Matches at the beginning of a line only. A ^ occurring ANYWHERE in the
        match expression (except within a character class) is interpreted in
        this manner. This allows meaningful use of ^ in combination with
        grouping or alternation (see below).

        Help also indicates, match a literal character, enter the character with
        a leading backslash

        Backslash (\)
        Followed by a single character matches that character. For example, '\*'
        matches an asterisk, '\\' matches a backslash, '\$' matches a dollar
        sign, etc.

        To answer your question, I think, you you would use something like the
        following.

        On the Find side use, asterisk\backslash\period; ^\.
        on the Replace side you would
        use only a single asterisk; *

        hrs