Remove lines with keywords?

  • Palladin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hi all,
      This is my first post. I hope it's acceptable.
      My question involves whether NoteTab has the ability to remove
      lines from a text file that contain a certain keyword, or string.
      What I'm doing is compiling a Hosts file to block certain undesirable
      sites from being downloaded to my PC. If I redirect my PC to itself
      when a certain site is being called on, undesirable sites can be blocked. I won't go too heavy into it, but for more info, a good place is:

      http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

      Anyway, here is a brief sample of what my Hosts file looks like:

      127.0.0.1 backupdvd.info
      127.0.0.1 backwebtechnologies.rsc01.net
      127.0.0.1 bad-credits.net
      127.0.0.1 bad.a6.squally7845tabs.us
      127.0.0.1 badboss.tv
      127.0.0.1 badcredithistorycreditcard.com
      127.0.0.1 baden24.ivwbox.de
      127.0.0.1 badlands.112.2o7.net

      There's thousands of these "hosts", or websites, in my Hosts file.
      What I need NoteTab to do is remove all host entries that contain
      a certain word, or "string" that I specify, because I have another
      filter method based on keywords, and I want to slim my huge Hosts
      file down, for speed of access purposes. So far I have not been able
      to figure out how to do it with my NoteTab, but I feel N.T. can do it.
      For instance, if I specify that NoteTab remove all entries that contain
      the word "bad" from the list above, NoteTab would delete or separate from the list 6 of the 8 hosts, starting at- 127.0.0.1 bad-credits.net.
      There will be around 200 of these keywords I will use to pare down
      my very large Hosts file. If I could specify all 200 strings in the same
      operation, that would be even better, but I'll settle for one at a time.
      Is any of this possible with NoteTab? And if so, how? Thanks, Billy

      Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
        Hi Palladin,

        >This is my first post. I hope it's acceptable. My question
        >involves whether NoteTab has the ability to remove lines from a
        >text file that contain a certain keyword, or string.

        You need a Clip to do what you want. I'm copying the Clips list
        where you need to sign up for and continue with this on that
        list. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA You
        might want to post right away and mention that the word "bad"
        given in your example can be anywhere in the domain, not just
        starting with it. So, both the following lines would be deleted.
        If it needs to be when they only start with "theSearch.String.us"
        let us know.

        127.0.0.1 badboss.tv
        127.0.0.1 bossbad.tv

        >Anyway, here is a brief sample of what my Hosts file looks like:
        >
        >127.0.0.1 backupdvd.info
        >127.0.0.1 backwebtechnologies.rsc01.net
        >127.0.0.1 bad-credits.net
        >127.0.0.1 bad.a6.squally7845tabs.us
        >127.0.0.1 badboss.tv
        >127.0.0.1 badcredithistorycreditcard.com
        >127.0.0.1 baden24.ivwbox.de
        >127.0.0.1 badlands.112.2o7.net
        >
        >There's thousands of these "hosts", or websites, in my Hosts
        >file. What I need NoteTab to do is remove all host entries that
        >contain a certain word, or "string" that I specify, because I
        >have another filter method based on keywords, and I want to slim
        >my huge Hosts file down, for speed of access purposes. So far I
        >have not been able to figure out how to do it with my NoteTab,
        >but I feel N.T. can do it. For instance, if I specify that
        >NoteTab remove all entries that contain the word "bad" from the
        >list above, NoteTab would delete or separate from the list 6 of
        >the 8 hosts, starting at- 127.0.0.1 bad-credits.net.
        >There will be around 200 of these keywords I will use to pare
        >down my very large Hosts file. If I could specify all 200 strings
        >in the same operation, that would be even better, but I'll settle
        >for one at a time. Is any of this possible with NoteTab? And if
        >so, how? Thanks, Billy

        Happy Clip'n!

      • Rob Henrichon
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
          Hello All,

          Is there a method to saving bookmarks in a file when you close it out?
          When I reopen the file - the bookmarks are gone. They are so helpful when coding - there must be a way.

          Thanks for all help!

          Regards,

          Rob Henrichon
          Ontrack Interactive Media
          129 Spruce St.
          Rutland, VT. 05701

          Voice: 802-236-2038
          Email: ontrack100@...
          >This is my first post. I hope it's acceptable. My question
          >involves whether NoteTab has the ability to remove lines from a
          >text file that contain a certain keyword, or string.

          You need a Clip to do what you want. I'm copying the Clips list
          where you need to sign up for and continue with this on that
          list. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA You
          might want to post right away and mention that the word "bad"
          given in your example can be anywhere in the domain, not just
          starting with it. So, both the following lines would be deleted.
          If it needs to be when they only start with "theSearch.String.us"
          let us know.

          127.0.0.1 badboss.tv
          127.0.0.1 bossbad.tv

          >Anyway, here is a brief sample of what my Hosts file looks like:
          >
          >127.0.0.1 backupdvd.info
          >127.0.0.1 backwebtechnologies.rsc01.net
          >127.0.0.1 bad-credits.net
          >127.0.0.1 bad.a6.squally7845tabs.us
          >127.0.0.1 badboss.tv
          >127.0.0.1 badcredithistorycreditcard.com
          >127.0.0.1 baden24.ivwbox.de
          >127.0.0.1 badlands.112.2o7.net
          >
          >There's thousands of these "hosts", or websites, in my Hosts
          >file. What I need NoteTab to do is remove all host entries that
          >contain a certain word, or "string" that I specify, because I
          >have another filter method based on keywords, and I want to slim
          >my huge Hosts file down, for speed of access purposes. So far I
          >have not been able to figure out how to do it with my NoteTab,
          >but I feel N.T. can do it. For instance, if I specify that
          >NoteTab remove all entries that contain the word "bad" from the
          >list above, NoteTab would delete or separate from the list 6 of
          >the 8 hosts, starting at- 127.0.0.1 bad-credits.net.
          >There will be around 200 of these keywords I will use to pare
          >down my very large Hosts file. If I could specify all 200 strings
          >in the same operation, that would be even better, but I'll settle
          >for one at a time. Is any of this possible with NoteTab? And if
          >so, how? Thanks, Billy

          Happy Clip'n!

          Yahoo! Groups Links