Re: [NTB] text editing corruption bug

  • lists@thegoldenear.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
      thanks for the feedback

      > Check to make sure you don't have another application trying to
      > steal the focus like a browser trying to refresh automatically.

      how would that explain the problem I'm seeing?

      > You might also try shutting down everything else when you know
      > you will be working in NoteTab for awhile; perhaps there is a
      > conflict somewhere.

      the only other application that could possibly have been running at the same time is Mozilla. I
      don't see how they could be conflicting

      > A long shot would be to try a new ini file if you are still using
      > the same one from versions back. (NoteTab.ini found in its main
      > folder.)

      what aspects of the ini file contents changed between 4.92 and 4.95?

      > The input control (riched32.dll) could be corrupt, but I'm
      > surprised this is happening on both machines.

      as you say, seems unlikely between 2 different versions of Windows

      > If it continues and you can't get it figured out, I'd just fall
      > back to 4.92

      if this is a problem in NoteTab itself, that option wouldn't help fix NoteTab. I'm heartened though
      by the fact no-one else seems to recognise this problem

      > or try out NoteTab Pro Trial 4.95. Since you are
      > working with different web sites and machines, I'd certainly do
      > that anyway.

      the various organisations I support can't afford to buy more software than their Windows
      licence and anything else absolutely essential. and most people anyway only use NoteTab on
      very rare occasions - they're not particularly computer literate. I prefer to use the same
      software as them so that I'm in parity with them

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
        Hi p,

        >thanks for the feedback

        You are most welcome! If you want to pick this up on the OffTopic
        list, maybe somebody can help out over there. I would try
        changing out the riched32.dll anyway. It is usually the problem
        when weird things like this is going on. There's a link in the
        yahoogroups footer to get to the Off Topic list. This list is for
        the Basic discussion of the use of NoteTab only. -jody

        either of the links below. We use yahoogroups for the lists.
        Please read the following if you decide to sign up!

        If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do *not*
        post questions about NoteTab Clips and other scripting languages
        (such as RegExp, Perl, CGI, etc.) on the NoteTab Basic list.

        are for discussion of those programs.

        are a lot more flexible, for instance, Clips can be and are
        welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        >> Check to make sure you don't have another application trying to
        >> steal the focus like a browser trying to refresh automatically.
        >
        >how would that explain the problem I'm seeing?
        >
        >> You might also try shutting down everything else when you know
        >> you will be working in NoteTab for awhile; perhaps there is a
        >> conflict somewhere.
        >
        >the only other application that could possibly have been running
        >at the same time is Mozilla. I don't see how they could be
        >conflicting
        >
        >> A long shot would be to try a new ini file if you are still using
        >> the same one from versions back. (NoteTab.ini found in its main
        >> folder.)
        >
        >what aspects of the ini file contents changed between 4.92 and 4.95?
        >
        >> The input control (riched32.dll) could be corrupt, but I'm
        >> surprised this is happening on both machines.
        >
        >as you say, seems unlikely between 2 different versions of Windows
        >
        >> If it continues and you can't get it figured out, I'd just fall
        >> back to 4.92
        >
        >if this is a problem in NoteTab itself, that option wouldn't help
        >fix NoteTab. I'm heartened though by the fact no-one else seems
        >to recognise this problem
        >
        >> or try out NoteTab Pro Trial 4.95. Since you are working with
        >> different web sites and machines, I'd certainly do that anyway.
        >
        >the various organisations I support can't afford to buy more
        >software than their Windows licence and anything else absolutely
        >essential. and most people anyway only use NoteTab on very rare
        >occasions - they're not particularly computer literate. I prefer
        >to use the same software as them so that I'm in parity with them

        Happy Tab'n,