Re: [NTB] .txt and .dat files open as empty documents

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
      gumbie,
      If I have followed this thread correctly and I have been so busy at
      other things, I may have missed something. But I think you said this
      started about 2 months ago. Since it works on all computers but yours,
      I would search to see what I did just before this started. Another
      program was installed? Check to see what is running in the background.
      (these have been suggested previously) but since it works on all other
      computers it must be something causing this to happpen that is only on
      your computer.

      You might have to save your data and format the hard drive re-install
      NoteTab and see if now works properly, then replace all the programs one
      by one with data and check to see if NoteTab is still operational. When
      it ceases to be operational you will have found the cause. Lots of
      work, yes, another solution would be to replace the computer and put
      NoteTab on the new one and go through the same basic procedure. You
      have already uninstalled and re-installed NoteTab. Or you might try
      partitioning the hard drive and putting notetab in its own partition if
      you are good at that sort of thing. Again you would have to do a backup
      of your data just in case you make an error partitioning the hard drive
      and all you have to do is hit yes when you meant to hit no or somthing
      similar. I know that I have been down that road and it is very easy to
      hit one wrong key and wipe out everything.

      . As the first step, however, I think that I would look back and see
      what programs that I had installed about the time this started and at
      least remove all those programs and try to see if NoteTab works then.
      How much space do you have left on your hard drive. I have seen
      problems begin when it was almost used up because a lot of programs
      write to the hard drive and removing it when it has finished, but if
      there is no room or not enough room for the program to do this strange
      things can happen.
      Ed