Re: [NTB] Re: .txt and .dat files open as empty documents

  • S Boe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2004
      From: John Zeman
      To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 3:52 PM
      Subject: [NTB] Re: .txt and .dat files open as empty documents

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "gumbie22000" <slboe@h...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the suggestion.
      >
      > I just renamed the notetab.ini and restarted NTL and I still have
      the
      > same problem. The two .txt files that open the first time you open
      > NTL(readme.txt and whatsnew.txt) appear as blank documents. I just
      > opened them with wordpad and I can view the text. I thought that I
      > had set NTL to display white text on a white background somehow,
      but
      > the cursor stays in the top left position meaning there is no text
      > there.
      > I have uninstalled and deleted the installation folder and
      > reinstalled again. Nothing seems to help.

      I have no answers for this, but here's what I would try if it
      happened to me.

      1. I'd try typing some text in one of those apparently blank files.
      I'd be very interested in whether I could see the text I typed or not.

      Very Interesting. I cannot type anything into any text document, new or preexisting. I get the same message in all instances (Replace Large Selection?). When I answer yes or no to this question, the message box disappears, no text is displayed, and the next key I hit brings this dialog box up again.

      2. I'd save the file with a new name to a temporary location then
      close and open it again with NTL to see if it still appeared empty.

      The document saves in the new location, but still appears the same in NTL.

      3. I'd hit the keyboard sequence of CTRL+A to select everything in
      the file and observe the results.

      Ctrl-A does nothing in these files.

      4. I'd create a new text file, type some text in it, and save it.
      When I'd close and reopen it, I'd pay close attention to what I could
      see.

      I cannot type anything into a new or preexisting document.

      I guess all I'm suggesting here is trying the process of
      elimination. I know of no reason why NoteTab light should not
      display files that are text. I assume this has been happening since
      your initial install of NTL, that it's never displayed text in .txt
      files or .dat files. If this is something that's just recently
      occurred, I'd look at the third party programs running in the
      background. Especially any I'd just installed or reconfigured.

      I have been using NTL for several years. It is the most functional and feature packed text editor that I have ever found. This problem started nearly two months ago. I can make no connection now as to any new software installation or reconfiguration that may have coincided with this issue.

      I know this isn't much, if any help, but it's the best I can come up
      with given the limited information here.

      John

      I am hoping that this narrows down the problem and with your help, I can be able to use NTL again. thanks, Steve

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor