Re: [NTB] text editing corruption bug

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 28, 2004
      Hi Marcelo,

      >>You are getting borderline for the size of the file and the
      >>amount of RAM you have. For NoteTab to work properly, you should
      >>have at least twice as much RAM as you do the file loaded. When I
      >>say "work properly" I do not mean that things like you are
      >>experiencing will start happening, but that it won't perform as
      >>it is designed to. If you have a lot of other things going on,
      >>you might shut some of them down.
      >>
      >Uh, Jody...
      >p said the file being edited was around 100 *kilo*bytes, and the
      >computer had around 256 *mega*bytes.

      Uh, sorry, a minor oversight. <g>

      Take care,

      and even thou doest err some!
      http://clean-funnies.com
      http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
    • lists@thegoldenear.org
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
        thanks for the feedback

        > Check to make sure you don't have another application trying to
        > steal the focus like a browser trying to refresh automatically.

        how would that explain the problem I'm seeing?

        > You might also try shutting down everything else when you know
        > you will be working in NoteTab for awhile; perhaps there is a
        > conflict somewhere.

        the only other application that could possibly have been running at the same time is Mozilla. I
        don't see how they could be conflicting

        > A long shot would be to try a new ini file if you are still using
        > the same one from versions back. (NoteTab.ini found in its main
        > folder.)

        what aspects of the ini file contents changed between 4.92 and 4.95?

        > The input control (riched32.dll) could be corrupt, but I'm
        > surprised this is happening on both machines.

        as you say, seems unlikely between 2 different versions of Windows

        > If it continues and you can't get it figured out, I'd just fall
        > back to 4.92

        if this is a problem in NoteTab itself, that option wouldn't help fix NoteTab. I'm heartened though
        by the fact no-one else seems to recognise this problem

        > or try out NoteTab Pro Trial 4.95. Since you are
        > working with different web sites and machines, I'd certainly do
        > that anyway.

        the various organisations I support can't afford to buy more software than their Windows
        licence and anything else absolutely essential. and most people anyway only use NoteTab on
        very rare occasions - they're not particularly computer literate. I prefer to use the same
        software as them so that I'm in parity with them

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
          Hi p,

          >thanks for the feedback

          You are most welcome! If you want to pick this up on the OffTopic
          list, maybe somebody can help out over there. I would try
          changing out the riched32.dll anyway. It is usually the problem
          when weird things like this is going on. There's a link in the
          yahoogroups footer to get to the Off Topic list. This list is for
          the Basic discussion of the use of NoteTab only. -jody

          either of the links below. We use yahoogroups for the lists.
          Please read the following if you decide to sign up!

          If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do *not*
          post questions about NoteTab Clips and other scripting languages
          (such as RegExp, Perl, CGI, etc.) on the NoteTab Basic list.

          are for discussion of those programs.

          are a lot more flexible, for instance, Clips can be and are
          welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          >> Check to make sure you don't have another application trying to
          >> steal the focus like a browser trying to refresh automatically.
          >
          >how would that explain the problem I'm seeing?
          >
          >> You might also try shutting down everything else when you know
          >> you will be working in NoteTab for awhile; perhaps there is a
          >> conflict somewhere.
          >
          >the only other application that could possibly have been running
          >at the same time is Mozilla. I don't see how they could be
          >conflicting
          >
          >> A long shot would be to try a new ini file if you are still using
          >> the same one from versions back. (NoteTab.ini found in its main
          >> folder.)
          >
          >what aspects of the ini file contents changed between 4.92 and 4.95?
          >
          >> The input control (riched32.dll) could be corrupt, but I'm
          >> surprised this is happening on both machines.
          >
          >as you say, seems unlikely between 2 different versions of Windows
          >
          >> If it continues and you can't get it figured out, I'd just fall
          >> back to 4.92
          >
          >if this is a problem in NoteTab itself, that option wouldn't help
          >fix NoteTab. I'm heartened though by the fact no-one else seems
          >to recognise this problem
          >
          >> or try out NoteTab Pro Trial 4.95. Since you are working with
          >> different web sites and machines, I'd certainly do that anyway.
          >
          >the various organisations I support can't afford to buy more
          >software than their Windows licence and anything else absolutely
          >essential. and most people anyway only use NoteTab on very rare
          >occasions - they're not particularly computer literate. I prefer
          >to use the same software as them so that I'm in parity with them

          Happy Tab'n,