Re: [NTB] .txt and .dat files open as empty documents

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26, 2004
      Hi gumbie,

      >I just renamed the notetab.ini and restarted NTL and I still have
      >the same problem. The two .txt files that open the first time
      >you open NTL(readme.txt and whatsnew.txt) appear as blank
      >documents. I just opened them with wordpad and I can view the
      >text. I thought that I had set NTL to display white text on a
      >white background somehow, but the cursor stays in the top left
      >position meaning there is no text there.

      NoteTab's cursor always opens there if the file is reopened or
      reloaded. If it stays there when you hold down your mouse key and
      drag it down, then, hmmm, try reinstalling riched32.dll. If it
      drags and text is selected, then try changing the colors like you
      mentioned. (I'd reinstall the dll if all else fails. Rename your
      current riched32.dll first like I mentioned the other day (if
      Windows will allow it). You can probably get away with making a
      copy of it in case you want to fall back to it.

      Happy Tab'n,

    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2004
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "gumbie22000" <slboe@h...> wrote:
        > Thanks for the suggestion.
        >
        > I just renamed the notetab.ini and restarted NTL and I still have
        the
        > same problem. The two .txt files that open the first time you open
        > NTL(readme.txt and whatsnew.txt) appear as blank documents. I just
        > opened them with wordpad and I can view the text. I thought that I
        > had set NTL to display white text on a white background somehow,
        but
        > the cursor stays in the top left position meaning there is no text
        > there.
        > I have uninstalled and deleted the installation folder and
        > reinstalled again. Nothing seems to help.

        I have no answers for this, but here's what I would try if it
        happened to me.

        1. I'd try typing some text in one of those apparently blank files.
        I'd be very interested in whether I could see the text I typed or not.

        2. I'd save the file with a new name to a temporary location then
        close and open it again with NTL to see if it still appeared empty.

        3. I'd hit the keyboard sequence of CTRL+A to select everything in
        the file and observe the results.

        4. I'd create a new text file, type some text in it, and save it.
        When I'd close and reopen it, I'd pay close attention to what I could
        see.

        I guess all I'm suggesting here is trying the process of
        elimination. I know of no reason why NoteTab light should not
        display files that are text. I assume this has been happening since
        your initial install of NTL, that it's never displayed text in .txt
        files or .dat files. If this is something that's just recently
        occurred, I'd look at the third party programs running in the
        background. Especially any I'd just installed or reconfigured.

        I know this isn't much, if any help, but it's the best I can come up
        with given the limited information here.

        John
      • S Boe
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 30, 2004
          >I just renamed the notetab.ini and restarted NTL and I still have
          >the same problem. The two .txt files that open the first time
          >you open NTL(readme.txt and whatsnew.txt) appear as blank
          >documents. I just opened them with wordpad and I can view the
          >text. I thought that I had set NTL to display white text on a
          >white background somehow, but the cursor stays in the top left
          >position meaning there is no text there.

          NoteTab's cursor always opens there if the file is reopened or
          reloaded. If it stays there when you hold down your mouse key and
          drag it down, then, hmmm, try reinstalling riched32.dll. If it
          drags and text is selected, then try changing the colors like you
          mentioned. (I'd reinstall the dll if all else fails. Rename your
          current riched32.dll first like I mentioned the other day (if
          Windows will allow it). You can probably get away with making a
          copy of it in case you want to fall back to it.

          Happy Tab'n,
          Jody Adair
          I just completed a search for riched32.dll and found no such file on my harddrive. I then searched for rich*.dll and found a riched20.dll in my windows system folder.

          I just went to the web and downloaded a copy of this file to my windows system directory and guess what, NTL works again. Thank you

        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
            gumbie,
            If I have followed this thread correctly and I have been so busy at
            other things, I may have missed something. But I think you said this
            started about 2 months ago. Since it works on all computers but yours,
            I would search to see what I did just before this started. Another
            program was installed? Check to see what is running in the background.
            (these have been suggested previously) but since it works on all other
            computers it must be something causing this to happpen that is only on
            your computer.

            You might have to save your data and format the hard drive re-install
            NoteTab and see if now works properly, then replace all the programs one
            by one with data and check to see if NoteTab is still operational. When
            it ceases to be operational you will have found the cause. Lots of
            work, yes, another solution would be to replace the computer and put
            NoteTab on the new one and go through the same basic procedure. You
            have already uninstalled and re-installed NoteTab. Or you might try
            partitioning the hard drive and putting notetab in its own partition if
            you are good at that sort of thing. Again you would have to do a backup
            of your data just in case you make an error partitioning the hard drive
            and all you have to do is hit yes when you meant to hit no or somthing
            similar. I know that I have been down that road and it is very easy to
            hit one wrong key and wipe out everything.

            . As the first step, however, I think that I would look back and see
            what programs that I had installed about the time this started and at
            least remove all those programs and try to see if NoteTab works then.
            How much space do you have left on your hard drive. I have seen
            problems begin when it was almost used up because a lot of programs
            write to the hard drive and removing it when it has finished, but if
            there is no room or not enough room for the program to do this strange
            things can happen.
            Ed