Re: [NTB] .txt and .dat files open as empty documents

  • gumbie22000
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26, 2004
      Thanks for the suggestion.

      I just renamed the notetab.ini and restarted NTL and I still have the
      same problem. The two .txt files that open the first time you open
      NTL(readme.txt and whatsnew.txt) appear as blank documents. I just
      opened them with wordpad and I can view the text. I thought that I
      had set NTL to display white text on a white background somehow, but
      the cursor stays in the top left position meaning there is no text
      there.
      I have uninstalled and deleted the installation folder and
      reinstalled again. Nothing seems to help.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
      > Gumbie:
      >
      > Unless you *deliberately* chose to put configuration data in the
      registry
      > (an install time option which can be changed in Notetab-View-
      Options) the

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2004
        Hi gumbie,

        >I just renamed the notetab.ini and restarted NTL and I still have
        >the same problem. The two .txt files that open the first time
        >you open NTL(readme.txt and whatsnew.txt) appear as blank
        >documents. I just opened them with wordpad and I can view the
        >text. I thought that I had set NTL to display white text on a
        >white background somehow, but the cursor stays in the top left
        >position meaning there is no text there.

        NoteTab's cursor always opens there if the file is reopened or
        reloaded. If it stays there when you hold down your mouse key and
        drag it down, then, hmmm, try reinstalling riched32.dll. If it
        drags and text is selected, then try changing the colors like you
        mentioned. (I'd reinstall the dll if all else fails. Rename your
        current riched32.dll first like I mentioned the other day (if
        Windows will allow it). You can probably get away with making a
        copy of it in case you want to fall back to it.

        Happy Tab'n,

      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2004
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "gumbie22000" <slboe@h...> wrote:
          > Thanks for the suggestion.
          >
          > I just renamed the notetab.ini and restarted NTL and I still have
          the
          > same problem. The two .txt files that open the first time you open
          > NTL(readme.txt and whatsnew.txt) appear as blank documents. I just
          > opened them with wordpad and I can view the text. I thought that I
          > had set NTL to display white text on a white background somehow,
          but
          > the cursor stays in the top left position meaning there is no text
          > there.
          > I have uninstalled and deleted the installation folder and
          > reinstalled again. Nothing seems to help.

          I have no answers for this, but here's what I would try if it
          happened to me.

          1. I'd try typing some text in one of those apparently blank files.
          I'd be very interested in whether I could see the text I typed or not.

          2. I'd save the file with a new name to a temporary location then
          close and open it again with NTL to see if it still appeared empty.

          3. I'd hit the keyboard sequence of CTRL+A to select everything in
          the file and observe the results.

          4. I'd create a new text file, type some text in it, and save it.
          When I'd close and reopen it, I'd pay close attention to what I could
          see.

          I guess all I'm suggesting here is trying the process of
          elimination. I know of no reason why NoteTab light should not
          display files that are text. I assume this has been happening since
          your initial install of NTL, that it's never displayed text in .txt
          files or .dat files. If this is something that's just recently
          occurred, I'd look at the third party programs running in the
          background. Especially any I'd just installed or reconfigured.

          I know this isn't much, if any help, but it's the best I can come up
          with given the limited information here.

          John
        • S Boe
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 30, 2004
            >I just renamed the notetab.ini and restarted NTL and I still have
            >the same problem. The two .txt files that open the first time
            >you open NTL(readme.txt and whatsnew.txt) appear as blank
            >documents. I just opened them with wordpad and I can view the
            >text. I thought that I had set NTL to display white text on a
            >white background somehow, but the cursor stays in the top left
            >position meaning there is no text there.

            NoteTab's cursor always opens there if the file is reopened or
            reloaded. If it stays there when you hold down your mouse key and
            drag it down, then, hmmm, try reinstalling riched32.dll. If it
            drags and text is selected, then try changing the colors like you
            mentioned. (I'd reinstall the dll if all else fails. Rename your
            current riched32.dll first like I mentioned the other day (if
            Windows will allow it). You can probably get away with making a
            copy of it in case you want to fall back to it.

            Happy Tab'n,
            Jody Adair
            I just completed a search for riched32.dll and found no such file on my harddrive. I then searched for rich*.dll and found a riched20.dll in my windows system folder.

            I just went to the web and downloaded a copy of this file to my windows system directory and guess what, NTL works again. Thank you

          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2004
              gumbie,
              If I have followed this thread correctly and I have been so busy at
              other things, I may have missed something. But I think you said this
              started about 2 months ago. Since it works on all computers but yours,
              I would search to see what I did just before this started. Another
              program was installed? Check to see what is running in the background.
              (these have been suggested previously) but since it works on all other
              computers it must be something causing this to happpen that is only on
              your computer.

              You might have to save your data and format the hard drive re-install
              NoteTab and see if now works properly, then replace all the programs one
              by one with data and check to see if NoteTab is still operational. When
              it ceases to be operational you will have found the cause. Lots of
              work, yes, another solution would be to replace the computer and put
              NoteTab on the new one and go through the same basic procedure. You
              have already uninstalled and re-installed NoteTab. Or you might try
              partitioning the hard drive and putting notetab in its own partition if
              you are good at that sort of thing. Again you would have to do a backup
              of your data just in case you make an error partitioning the hard drive
              and all you have to do is hit yes when you meant to hit no or somthing
              similar. I know that I have been down that road and it is very easy to
              hit one wrong key and wipe out everything.

              . As the first step, however, I think that I would look back and see
              what programs that I had installed about the time this started and at
              least remove all those programs and try to see if NoteTab works then.
              How much space do you have left on your hard drive. I have seen
              problems begin when it was almost used up because a lot of programs
              write to the hard drive and removing it when it has finished, but if
              there is no room or not enough room for the program to do this strange
              things can happen.
              Ed