Re: [NTB] Cannot save setting

  • Ulrich Bangert
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2004
      Hallo Jody,
      thank you for immeditate response!

      As I'm using Notetab on my private computer, I'm my own administrator. I
      applied the workaround I mentioned earlier to make the ini-file writable
      to a restricted user. But this didn't help, although I can save the
      ini-file now when I load it into Notetab which means that this file is
      writable.

      I think it is OK to store the settings in an ini-file but on Win XP the
      ini-files should be stored in "Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
      data". In the meantime I noticed that Notetab also stores an ini-file
      there named ntl.ini. But this file only contains the information
      "PollForNews".

      Saving the setting in the registry didn't help neither. I suppose the
      problem is, that a restricted user has no writing permission to the
      registry.

      I also tried to rename Notetab.ini to !Notetab, but Notetab renames this
      file back when it is started.

      Do you have any other idea how to fix this problem? I find the reopen
      list very useful and regret it much that I cannot use it.

      Thanks for your help and kind regards - Ulrich

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2004
        Hi Ulrich,

        >thank you for immeditate response!

        I'm slower on the weekend. :)

        >As I'm using Notetab on my private computer, I'm my own
        >administrator. I applied the workaround I mentioned earlier to
        >make the ini-file writable to a restricted user. But this didn't
        >help, although I can save the ini-file now when I load it into
        >Notetab which means that this file is writable.

        If you would please, answer this over on the ntb-OffTopic list,
        or perhaps the Clips list. This list is for the very basic use of
        NoteTab and we'll be getting out of that area.

        I suppose I'm missing something here, but if you are the admin
        then why don't you give full permissions for yourself for
        NoteTab? If you are just saying that you should be able to do it
        as a restricted user, OK, we'll look into that. :)

        We haven't updated NoteTab for a little while because of doing
        other programs. Most or all of our other software the data folder
        can be set to wherever the user wants it. I assume NoteTab will
        follow suit. :) There are ways to get around it now though.

        >I think it is OK to store the settings in an ini-file but on Win XP the
        >ini-files should be stored in "Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
        >data". In the meantime I noticed that Notetab also stores an ini-file
        >there named ntl.ini. But this file only contains the information
        >"PollForNews".

        NoteTab's command-line allows for choice of INI files and
        locations. You can store your INI file in a location that you can
        write to. Edit it and use the command-line to start NoteTab with
        the INI file. You need to use the short DOS path like the
        following with your paths of course. You put the command-line in
        your shortcut. For the benefit of those that don't know how here
        it is...

        Right click over shortcut, choose Properties, click on the
        shortcut tab, and put it in there. Example:

        Target: "E:\NoteTab Pro\495\NotePro.exe" /ini=F:\NOTETA~2\NotePro.ini
        Start in: E:\NoteTab Pro\495\

        Look under "Command-line Parameters" in Help for more examples and
        command-line switches/arguments to use.

        Also, you might want to change where NoteTab looks for its
        supports files such as the Clipbook Library and Clipbar files. If
        they are in a different location than where you start NoteTab,
        then enter that location in View | Options | Advanced | Support
        Files Location.

        >Saving the setting in the registry didn't help neither. I suppose the
        >problem is, that a restricted user has no writing permission to the
        >registry.

        That's odd. I'll do some testing with that. (I do that on one of
        the family computers; I don't want to add all that junk to mine.
        On second thought, I'll do it on my son's, I don't like doghouses
        in the summertime. <bg>)

        >I also tried to rename Notetab.ini to !Notetab, but Notetab
        >renames this file back when it is started.

        Yes, that is what it is suppose to do. NoteTab first looks for
        !NotePro.ini (or !NoteTab.ini in NoteTab Standard/Light) and if
        found it opens with that file and deletes the one that it was
        using last. (You can use an INI file by another name if you
        specify that in the command-line. If you rename the executable
        (NotePro.exe) then an INI file will be made by that name.

        np.ini would create and use np.ini

        >Do you have any other idea how to fix this problem? I find the
        >reopen list very useful and regret it much that I cannot use it.

        I think that's about it. If you need to reply in detail, please
        take it over to the Clips or OffTopic list. Thanks!

        Happy Tab'n,