Re: [NTB] Cannot save setting

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
      Hi Ulrich,

      Welcome to the group!

      >I'm using Notetab Light V 4.95 on Win XP Home Edition. In general
      >I think it is really a fine editor but unfortunately I recognized
      >that it is not designed for Win XP, as it saves its settings
      >resp. the inifile notetab.ini in the program directory. When I'm
      >a restricted user I have no writing permission for this directory
      >and the settings are not saved.

      It is designed for XP. It is your administrator preventing you
      from being able to change and remember the settings.

      Yes, it is certainly designed for XP (Win95/98/ME/2000/NT/XP) Do
      you have Windows documentation that states if a program uses an
      INI file to stores its settings that it is not an XP uses an INI
      file to store settings does not mean it is not designed for XP.
      Many users of computers much desire INI files over the system
      registry. I understand that you have restrictions from writing to
      the INI file. That is up to the administrator/company rules, etc.
      to allow and disallow that.

      However, we have a feature to "Store Settings in Registry" under
      the Advanced tab in View | Options. If you do not see the
      "Advanced" tab in Options, check the box to "Show Advanced
      Features" in the View tab. That's it; it should fix you right up!

      >I applied a common workaround: Install into an additional
      >directory Programme2. Till now this helped for all other programs
      >but not for Notetab: Although Notetab.ini is writable now (I can
      >save it manually when I load it into any editor) the settings are
      >not saved. Does anybody know a solution for this problem?

      I don't know if this would apply but, maybe NoteTab was open when
      you saved the INI file. You might try saving it as !NoteTab.ini
      (that would be !NotePro.ini for Pro users) in like Notepad with
      the exclamation mark in it and restart or start NoteTab. It will
      know to use that file instead of the w/o the "!". You can do that
      with the program open or closed. FYI, NoteTab normally writes to
      the INI file on shutdown.

      There are other ways in NoteTab to get around the writing to the
      INI file because of restrictions though. Using Clips and
      commandline could be done for instance. Please sign up for the
      Clips list if you'll be doing something else other than "Store
      settings in Registry."

      either of the links below. We use yahoogroups for the lists.
      Please read the following if you decide to sign up!

      If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do *not*
      post questions about NoteTab Clips and other scripting languages
      (such as RegExp, Perl, CGI, etc.) on the NoteTab Basic list.

      are for discussion of those programs.

      are a lot more flexible, for instance, Clips can be and are
      welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thanks!

      >Kind regards - Ulrich Bangert

      Happy Clip'n!

    • Ulrich Bangert
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2004
        Hallo Jody,
        thank you for immeditate response!

        As I'm using Notetab on my private computer, I'm my own administrator. I
        applied the workaround I mentioned earlier to make the ini-file writable
        to a restricted user. But this didn't help, although I can save the
        ini-file now when I load it into Notetab which means that this file is
        writable.

        I think it is OK to store the settings in an ini-file but on Win XP the
        ini-files should be stored in "Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
        data". In the meantime I noticed that Notetab also stores an ini-file
        there named ntl.ini. But this file only contains the information
        "PollForNews".

        Saving the setting in the registry didn't help neither. I suppose the
        problem is, that a restricted user has no writing permission to the
        registry.

        I also tried to rename Notetab.ini to !Notetab, but Notetab renames this
        file back when it is started.

        Do you have any other idea how to fix this problem? I find the reopen
        list very useful and regret it much that I cannot use it.

        Thanks for your help and kind regards - Ulrich

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2004
          Hi Ulrich,

          >thank you for immeditate response!

          I'm slower on the weekend. :)

          >As I'm using Notetab on my private computer, I'm my own
          >administrator. I applied the workaround I mentioned earlier to
          >make the ini-file writable to a restricted user. But this didn't
          >help, although I can save the ini-file now when I load it into
          >Notetab which means that this file is writable.

          If you would please, answer this over on the ntb-OffTopic list,
          or perhaps the Clips list. This list is for the very basic use of
          NoteTab and we'll be getting out of that area.

          I suppose I'm missing something here, but if you are the admin
          then why don't you give full permissions for yourself for
          NoteTab? If you are just saying that you should be able to do it
          as a restricted user, OK, we'll look into that. :)

          We haven't updated NoteTab for a little while because of doing
          other programs. Most or all of our other software the data folder
          can be set to wherever the user wants it. I assume NoteTab will
          follow suit. :) There are ways to get around it now though.

          >I think it is OK to store the settings in an ini-file but on Win XP the
          >ini-files should be stored in "Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
          >data". In the meantime I noticed that Notetab also stores an ini-file
          >there named ntl.ini. But this file only contains the information
          >"PollForNews".

          NoteTab's command-line allows for choice of INI files and
          locations. You can store your INI file in a location that you can
          write to. Edit it and use the command-line to start NoteTab with
          the INI file. You need to use the short DOS path like the
          following with your paths of course. You put the command-line in
          your shortcut. For the benefit of those that don't know how here
          it is...

          Right click over shortcut, choose Properties, click on the
          shortcut tab, and put it in there. Example:

          Target: "E:\NoteTab Pro\495\NotePro.exe" /ini=F:\NOTETA~2\NotePro.ini
          Start in: E:\NoteTab Pro\495\

          Look under "Command-line Parameters" in Help for more examples and
          command-line switches/arguments to use.

          Also, you might want to change where NoteTab looks for its
          supports files such as the Clipbook Library and Clipbar files. If
          they are in a different location than where you start NoteTab,
          then enter that location in View | Options | Advanced | Support
          Files Location.

          >Saving the setting in the registry didn't help neither. I suppose the
          >problem is, that a restricted user has no writing permission to the
          >registry.

          That's odd. I'll do some testing with that. (I do that on one of
          the family computers; I don't want to add all that junk to mine.
          On second thought, I'll do it on my son's, I don't like doghouses
          in the summertime. <bg>)

          >I also tried to rename Notetab.ini to !Notetab, but Notetab
          >renames this file back when it is started.

          Yes, that is what it is suppose to do. NoteTab first looks for
          !NotePro.ini (or !NoteTab.ini in NoteTab Standard/Light) and if
          found it opens with that file and deletes the one that it was
          using last. (You can use an INI file by another name if you
          specify that in the command-line. If you rename the executable
          (NotePro.exe) then an INI file will be made by that name.

          np.ini would create and use np.ini

          >Do you have any other idea how to fix this problem? I find the
          >reopen list very useful and regret it much that I cannot use it.

          I think that's about it. If you need to reply in detail, please
          take it over to the Clips or OffTopic list. Thanks!

          Happy Tab'n,