Cannot save setting

  • Ulrich Bangert
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
      Hallo,
      I'm using Notetab Light V 4.95 on Win XP Home Edition. In general I
      think it is really a fine editor but unfortunately I recognized that it
      is not designed for Win XP, as it saves its settings resp. the inifile
      notetab.ini in the program directory. When I'm a restricted user I have
      no writing permission for this directory and the settings are not saved.
      I applied a common workaround: Install into an additional directory
      Programme2. Till now this helped for all other programs but not for
      Notetab: Although Notetab.ini is writable now (I can save it manually
      when I load it into any editor) the settings are not saved. Does anybody
      know a solution for this problem?
      Kind regards - Ulrich Bangert
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2004
        Hi Ulrich,

        Welcome to the group!

        >I'm using Notetab Light V 4.95 on Win XP Home Edition. In general
        >I think it is really a fine editor but unfortunately I recognized
        >that it is not designed for Win XP, as it saves its settings
        >resp. the inifile notetab.ini in the program directory. When I'm
        >a restricted user I have no writing permission for this directory
        >and the settings are not saved.

        It is designed for XP. It is your administrator preventing you
        from being able to change and remember the settings.

        Yes, it is certainly designed for XP (Win95/98/ME/2000/NT/XP) Do
        you have Windows documentation that states if a program uses an
        INI file to stores its settings that it is not an XP uses an INI
        file to store settings does not mean it is not designed for XP.
        Many users of computers much desire INI files over the system
        registry. I understand that you have restrictions from writing to
        the INI file. That is up to the administrator/company rules, etc.
        to allow and disallow that.

        However, we have a feature to "Store Settings in Registry" under
        the Advanced tab in View | Options. If you do not see the
        "Advanced" tab in Options, check the box to "Show Advanced
        Features" in the View tab. That's it; it should fix you right up!

        >I applied a common workaround: Install into an additional
        >directory Programme2. Till now this helped for all other programs
        >but not for Notetab: Although Notetab.ini is writable now (I can
        >save it manually when I load it into any editor) the settings are
        >not saved. Does anybody know a solution for this problem?

        I don't know if this would apply but, maybe NoteTab was open when
        you saved the INI file. You might try saving it as !NoteTab.ini
        (that would be !NotePro.ini for Pro users) in like Notepad with
        the exclamation mark in it and restart or start NoteTab. It will
        know to use that file instead of the w/o the "!". You can do that
        with the program open or closed. FYI, NoteTab normally writes to
        the INI file on shutdown.

        There are other ways in NoteTab to get around the writing to the
        INI file because of restrictions though. Using Clips and
        commandline could be done for instance. Please sign up for the
        Clips list if you'll be doing something else other than "Store
        settings in Registry."

        either of the links below. We use yahoogroups for the lists.
        Please read the following if you decide to sign up!

        If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do *not*
        post questions about NoteTab Clips and other scripting languages
        (such as RegExp, Perl, CGI, etc.) on the NoteTab Basic list.

        are for discussion of those programs.

        are a lot more flexible, for instance, Clips can be and are
        welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thanks!

        >Kind regards - Ulrich Bangert

        Happy Clip'n!

      • Ulrich Bangert
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2004
          Hallo Jody,
          thank you for immeditate response!

          As I'm using Notetab on my private computer, I'm my own administrator. I
          applied the workaround I mentioned earlier to make the ini-file writable
          to a restricted user. But this didn't help, although I can save the
          ini-file now when I load it into Notetab which means that this file is
          writable.

          I think it is OK to store the settings in an ini-file but on Win XP the
          ini-files should be stored in "Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
          data". In the meantime I noticed that Notetab also stores an ini-file
          there named ntl.ini. But this file only contains the information
          "PollForNews".

          Saving the setting in the registry didn't help neither. I suppose the
          problem is, that a restricted user has no writing permission to the
          registry.

          I also tried to rename Notetab.ini to !Notetab, but Notetab renames this
          file back when it is started.

          Do you have any other idea how to fix this problem? I find the reopen
          list very useful and regret it much that I cannot use it.

          Thanks for your help and kind regards - Ulrich

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2004
            Hi Ulrich,

            >thank you for immeditate response!

            I'm slower on the weekend. :)

            >As I'm using Notetab on my private computer, I'm my own
            >administrator. I applied the workaround I mentioned earlier to
            >make the ini-file writable to a restricted user. But this didn't
            >help, although I can save the ini-file now when I load it into
            >Notetab which means that this file is writable.

            If you would please, answer this over on the ntb-OffTopic list,
            or perhaps the Clips list. This list is for the very basic use of
            NoteTab and we'll be getting out of that area.

            I suppose I'm missing something here, but if you are the admin
            then why don't you give full permissions for yourself for
            NoteTab? If you are just saying that you should be able to do it
            as a restricted user, OK, we'll look into that. :)

            We haven't updated NoteTab for a little while because of doing
            other programs. Most or all of our other software the data folder
            can be set to wherever the user wants it. I assume NoteTab will
            follow suit. :) There are ways to get around it now though.

            >I think it is OK to store the settings in an ini-file but on Win XP the
            >ini-files should be stored in "Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
            >data". In the meantime I noticed that Notetab also stores an ini-file
            >there named ntl.ini. But this file only contains the information
            >"PollForNews".

            NoteTab's command-line allows for choice of INI files and
            locations. You can store your INI file in a location that you can
            write to. Edit it and use the command-line to start NoteTab with
            the INI file. You need to use the short DOS path like the
            following with your paths of course. You put the command-line in
            your shortcut. For the benefit of those that don't know how here
            it is...

            Right click over shortcut, choose Properties, click on the
            shortcut tab, and put it in there. Example:

            Target: "E:\NoteTab Pro\495\NotePro.exe" /ini=F:\NOTETA~2\NotePro.ini
            Start in: E:\NoteTab Pro\495\

            Look under "Command-line Parameters" in Help for more examples and
            command-line switches/arguments to use.

            Also, you might want to change where NoteTab looks for its
            supports files such as the Clipbook Library and Clipbar files. If
            they are in a different location than where you start NoteTab,
            then enter that location in View | Options | Advanced | Support
            Files Location.

            >Saving the setting in the registry didn't help neither. I suppose the
            >problem is, that a restricted user has no writing permission to the
            >registry.

            That's odd. I'll do some testing with that. (I do that on one of
            the family computers; I don't want to add all that junk to mine.
            On second thought, I'll do it on my son's, I don't like doghouses
            in the summertime. <bg>)

            >I also tried to rename Notetab.ini to !Notetab, but Notetab
            >renames this file back when it is started.

            Yes, that is what it is suppose to do. NoteTab first looks for
            !NotePro.ini (or !NoteTab.ini in NoteTab Standard/Light) and if
            found it opens with that file and deletes the one that it was
            using last. (You can use an INI file by another name if you
            specify that in the command-line. If you rename the executable
            (NotePro.exe) then an INI file will be made by that name.

            np.ini would create and use np.ini

            >Do you have any other idea how to fix this problem? I find the
            >reopen list very useful and regret it much that I cannot use it.

            I think that's about it. If you need to reply in detail, please
            take it over to the Clips or OffTopic list. Thanks!

            Happy Tab'n,