Notetab slower load on xp than 98

  • James Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2004
      On my Win98se Notablite takes .5 seconds to load.

      On my WinXP, the same computer optimized for speed, Notablite takes 2
      full seconds to load: 4 times slower.

      My other programs such as MS Word 2000 take the same time to load in
      both operating systems.

      System is 256 megs ram, 900 mhz with tons of disk space.

      What's up with this? Why so slow.

      James
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2004
        James,

        At 09:37 AM 7/11/2004, you wrote:

        >On my Win98se Notablite takes .5 seconds to load.
        >
        >On my WinXP, the same computer optimized for speed, Notablite takes 2
        >full seconds to load: 4 times slower.
        >
        >My other programs such as MS Word 2000 take the same time to load in
        >both operating systems.
        >
        >System is 256 megs ram, 900 mhz with tons of disk space.
        >
        >What's up with this? Why so slow.

        You probably have something wrong with your XP installation.

        All of your aps should load faster in XP.

        NoteTab Lite and Pro both load in < .5 seconds on my XP machine.

        Word and Excel load in < 1 second.

        Have you checked to see if your XP drive is badly fragmented?

        You might want to check and see if you are unknowingly running a bunch of adware/spyware.

        You might want to try swapping out your RAM with some known good RAM sticks ( the POST RAM test is not always 100% accurate)

        It wouldn't hurt to increase your RAM to 512MB either.

        Just some thoughts,

        Jim
      • bbinder79
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2004
          > You probably have something wrong with your XP installation.
          >
          > All of your aps should load faster in XP.

          I wouldn't say that...(maybe many cases)...XP doesn't run every
          process in the same memory space in the same fashion that 9x did.
          This means that a new thread process occurs in RAM for the app
          can stay running and the OS can remain stable. Because of this, XP
          sometimes takes a bit longer to load apps. It also tries to mix
          speed and stability, whereas 98 just tried to be fast.

          I used to tell that to others and they kinda shrugged it off. So I'd
          constantly load Word and close it and load it and close it, etc.
          Guess which OS would start to constantly crash Word over and over
          again, and lose valuable system resources? Now guess which one
          didn't exhibit the same behavior?

          > NoteTab Lite and Pro both load in < .5 seconds on my XP machine.
          >
          > Word and Excel load in < 1 second.

          Word also takes advantage of caching on machines too. The first
          program load is normally the slowest after initial boot. From then
          on, Word and other MS programs are much faster.

          Also realize that if you run NoteTab like I do, I expect slower load
          times because I have about 20 documents that it has to search for to
          build my accessed file list at the top for my tabs.

          I can understand the post, but when did 2 seconds become that big a
          deal?

          Brian