Replace MS Notepad doesn't work on my Windows 2000 Professional

  • dawolfbr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2004
      Hi.

      I'm trying to make notetab to replace MS Notepad, but it's simply not
      working:

      1) I click Help -> Replace MS Notepad
      2) I get a dialog box asking for confirmation. I click "Yes"
      3) I get a dialog box stating that this feature may fail due to
      Windows File Protection (WFP) and that Windows may ask to restore the
      original MS Notepad...

      The thing is I don't get this message from windows and the
      replacement simply doesn't work.

      I'm the only user of my machine and I am Administrator, so what's
      goin on?

      Please someone help me!

      TIA,

      Er Galvão Abbott
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2004
        Er,

        At 03:15 PM 6/10/2004, you wrote:
        >Hi.
        >
        >I'm trying to make notetab to replace MS Notepad, but it's simply not
        >working:

        Go to http://jimbow.com/ and download "All about replacing Notepad" and see if it will help you.

        Depending on how your system is set up and how many copies of Notepad are on your drive, it can sometimes be frustrating.

        The WFP error screen doesn't always show up when you make the changes.

        I suspect that once you figure out what is involved you will be able to fix it manually in a matter of minutes.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2004
          On 10/6/2004 19:15, dawolfbr invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

          >Hi.
          >
          >I'm trying to make notetab to replace MS Notepad, but it's simply not
          >working:
          >
          >1) I click Help -> Replace MS Notepad
          >2) I get a dialog box asking for confirmation. I click "Yes"
          >3) I get a dialog box stating that this feature may fail due to
          >Windows File Protection (WFP) and that Windows may ask to restore the
          >original MS Notepad...
          >
          >The thing is I don't get this message from windows and the
          >replacement simply doesn't work.
          >
          >I'm the only user of my machine and I am Administrator, so what's
          >goin on?

          OK. What's happening is that Windows *is* silently restoring the
          original MS Notepad.
          In order to successfully replace MS Notepad, you have to do the following:

          1. If your Notetab "thinks" you have replaced MS Notepad, execute
          "Restore MS Notepad." This will reset the system to the initial expected
          state.
          2. Search for "Notepad.*" in all subfolders under the Windows folder
          (usually C:\WINNT). You may have to turn on the display of hidden/system
          files to find all instances.
          3. Either rename or delete the "Notepad.exe" file you will find in the
          "dllcache" folder.
          4. Open Notetab and execut the "Replace MS Notepad" command.
          5. Windows will complain that the file has been changed and ask for the
          original Windows CD. Click "Cancel" (or whatever is the option it
          displays at this time). It will complain some more, but that's OK.
          6. Done!

          --
          Marcelo de Castro Bastos
          -=-=-
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2004
            Perfect!

            Thanks a lot!

            Best regards.

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            <mcblista@t...> wrote:
            > On 10/6/2004 19:15, dawolfbr invited the wrath of the gods by
            saying:

            > >Hi.
            > >
            > >I'm trying to make notetab to replace MS Notepad, but it's simply
            not
            > >working:
            > >
            > >1) I click Help -> Replace MS Notepad
            > >2) I get a dialog box asking for confirmation. I click "Yes"
            > >3) I get a dialog box stating that this feature may fail due to
            > >Windows File Protection (WFP) and that Windows may ask to restore
            the
            > >original MS Notepad...
            > >
            > >The thing is I don't get this message from windows and the
            > >replacement simply doesn't work.
            > >
            > >I'm the only user of my machine and I am Administrator, so what's
            > >goin on?
            > >

            > OK. What's happening is that Windows *is* silently restoring the
            > original MS Notepad.
            > In order to successfully replace MS Notepad, you have to do the
            following:

            > 1. If your Notetab "thinks" you have replaced MS Notepad, execute
            > "Restore MS Notepad." This will reset the system to the initial
            expected
            > state.
            > 2. Search for "Notepad.*" in all subfolders under the Windows
            folder
            > (usually C:\WINNT). You may have to turn on the display of
            hidden/system
            > files to find all instances.
            > 3. Either rename or delete the "Notepad.exe" file you will find in
            the
            > "dllcache" folder.
            > 4. Open Notetab and execut the "Replace MS Notepad" command.
            > 5. Windows will complain that the file has been changed and ask for
            the
            > original Windows CD. Click "Cancel" (or whatever is the option it
            > displays at this time). It will complain some more, but that's OK.
            > 6. Done!
            >
            > --
            > Marcelo de Castro Bastos
            > -=-=-
            > ... A day for firm decisions!!! Or is it?
            > * TagZilla 0.049
          • felix peregrino
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 12, 2004
              On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:25:53 -0700
              Jim Hall <jehall@...> wrote:

              > Go to http://jimbow.com/ and download "All about replacing Notepad" and see if it will help you.

              The WMP box never came up, but after I downloaded and went through the procedure per your instructions on XP, somehow it worked and I'm getting NoteTab instead of NotePad.

              Thanks Jim.

              felix
              http://home.earthlink.net/~fe1ix/