Problem with network drives?

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2004
      Hi

      Just joined, although I've been using NoteTab for years.

      I've recently brought my computers up to date by installing all outstanding
      patches from MS. (OS is Windows 2000, now up to SP4 and with all other
      patches applied.)

      This went smoothly, but I've since found an incompatibility with NoteTab
      Light (4.90). I installed 4.95 a few minutes ago and the problem is still
      there.

      If I edit a text file using a network path - i.e.
      \\computer\drive\directory\filename - I get an error popup when I try to
      save it. The popup gives the file name, then "... was not successfully
      saved to disk. Size does not match (difference of nnnn bytes)." The number
      of bytes in the "difference" seems to be the full size of the text file.

      If I edit the same file using a mapped drive - i.e.
      <drive>:\directory\filename - the save works correctly.

      It doesn't seem to matter whether the target machine is running Windows 2000
      Pro or Windows 2003 Server, and I get the same symptoms from all my Windows
      2000 machines.

      Anyone else having this problem?

      Interestingly, the problem doesn't occur if the target machine is running
      Windows 98. However, there is a different problem (not new) where the
      file's modified date and time are not updated when the file's saved.

      Thanks in anticipation.

      Dave Smart
      Sydney, Australia

      ---
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2004
        Hi David,

        >If I edit a text file using a network path - i.e.
        >\\computer\drive\directory\filename - I get an error popup when I
        >try to save it. The popup gives the file name, then "... was not
        >successfully saved to disk. Size does not match (difference of
        >nnnn bytes)." The number of bytes in the "difference" seems to
        >be the full size of the text file.
        >
        >If I edit the same file using a mapped drive - i.e.
        ><drive>:\directory\filename - the save works correctly.

        The path with the double \\ won't work to the best of my
        knowledge. It is probable not a valid path. Try it in other
        programs and see if you still get the same error. You might try
        signing up for the NoteTab Off Topic list if you need more Help
        since this list is for the very basic use of NoteTab and not
        really for troubleshooting network problems.

        either of the links below. We use yahoogroups for the lists.
        Please read the following if you decide to sign up!

        If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do *not*
        post questions about NoteTab Clips and other scripting languages
        (such as RegExp, Perl, CGI, etc.) on the NoteTab Basic list.

        are for discussion of those programs.

        are a lot more flexible, for instance, Clips can be/and are
        welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thanks!

        Happy Topics,
        Jody

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        All Fookes Software mailing lists:
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • Robert Romberger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 12, 2004
          Jody wrote:

          >Hi David,
          >

          >>If I edit a text file using a network path - i.e.
          >>\\computer\drive\directory\filename - I get an error popup when I
          >>try to save it. The popup gives the file name, then "... was not
          >>successfully saved to disk. Size does not match (difference of
          >>nnnn bytes)." The number of bytes in the "difference" seems to
          >>be the full size of the text file.
          >>
          >>If I edit the same file using a mapped drive - i.e.
          >><drive>:\directory\filename - the save works correctly.
          >>

          >The path with the double \\ won't work to the best of my
          >knowledge. It is probable not a valid path. Try it in other
          >programs and see if you still get the same error. You might try
          >signing up for the NoteTab Off Topic list if you need more Help
          >since this list is for the very basic use of NoteTab and not
          >really for troubleshooting network problems.
          >
          >The most important thing to remember is please leave the NoteTab
          >Basic list for the *_very basic_* use of NoteTab. The other lists
          >are a lot more flexible, for instance, Clips can be/and are
          >welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

          Um...Not to slam you or anything, but your DOS is showing. The
          \\computer\drive\directory\filename path is a UNC (Universal Network
          Connection) path and is a valid style path name using Windows
          (especially NT, 2k, and XP). A better answer to the question would have
          been that UNC style paths are not supported at this time (maybe in the
          future?) and you should use the drive:\directory\filename instead, i.e.
          x:\directory\filename where x is the drive letter (mapped drive) of the
          local or network storage device. And this is a very basic question that
          concerns how NoteTab locates the files it is going to work on.

          Robert
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 12, 2004

            Thanks for the reply.

            The \\ file name format is standard MS network pathing.

            E.g. I'm currently editing (with NoteTab) "\\Server\drop zone\ntfree\ReadMe.txt" which is the ReadMe file from the NoteTab Light 4.95 distribution unzipped into an ntfree directory in the "drop zone" share of my home server. If I insert a single character and try to save the file, the pop-up says "difference of 8287 bytes" (which incidentally is the new size of the file, not the previous).

            Bizarrely, when I look at the directory (without dismissing the pop-up), the save has actually been done. When I return focus to the NoteTab window (with the pop-up still active), it gives me the "file has changed, reload it?" pop-up. Answering yes to that loads the changed file.

            The problem doesn't happen if I edit the file with Notepad (or anything else that I've tried), and NoteTab 4.90 used to be fine until I brought Windows 2000 Pro up to the latest patch level from Microsoft about a week ago.

            If I map the "drop zone" network share as (say) drive K: - i.e. I'm now editing "K:\ntfree\ReadMe.txt" - the save works as I would expect it to. (Always mapping network shares to drive names is not an option, however, as I have far more shares than there are drive letters.)

            Thanks for the mention of the other discussion lists. I'm not sure from the names of them which one would be the best one to discuss this problem (i.e. it's not a clip or script problem, and doesn't seem off-topic for NoteTab). I'll try the "scripts" list first to see what develops.

            Dave S

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 12, 2004
              Robert

              (I'd already sent my reply to Jody before your message arrived. Thank you for your follow-up.)

              The problem I'm having is that it used to work fine.

              NoteTab 4.90 was happily editing files using either UNC naming or mapped drives until about a week ago.

              Then I brought Windows 2K Pro up to date by applying all the latest patches from Microsoft. Now I'm getting this behaviour from NoteTab 4.90 and 4.95 when editing using UNC naming. I don't get an error from Notepad or Arachnophilia which are the other text editors I routinely use on server shares.

              It looks like a minor incompatibility between NoteTab and Windows 2000 which has been brought to light by the patch installation. (Note that I certainly don't want to back the patches out, as the only problem I've had is this one.)

              At Jody's suggestion, I'm going to re-post my message on the Scripts list.

              Dave S