Re: [NTB] Re: Shortcut key so eliminate the Toolbar

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2004
      At 05:04 PM 5/9/04 -0000, you wrote:

      >I also noticed that the file Shortcuts.DAT is being
      >arbitrarily changed in its extention to .TXT
      >and other things, so obviously there are some
      >shenannigans? going on.

      I can tell you that this is why the shortcut is not working! Shortcuts.dat
      MUST have that exact file name or it will not work period. How are you
      saving this file? There is a file Shortcuts.dat that is place in tthe
      folder when you install NoteTab. All you have to do is open the file, edit
      it and click the save button to resave it. Then close NoteTab and restart
      it again and your shorcuts should work.

      Try closing NoteTab and using Windows Explorer to rename Shortcuts.txt to
      Shortcuts.dat and then restart NoteTab and see if that does the trick.

      If you save a file using the Save As option and you leave off the
      extension, NoteTab will save the file with a .txt extension. I have also
      had problems on occasion when NoteTab has added the .txt extension to a
      file that I saved with the correct extension. In that case, I would get
      Shortcuts.dat.txt which, again, would cause the feature to fail. I would
      see the name on the document tab and I would just click the right mouse
      button on the tab and select "Rename" and then rename it to the correct
      extension and close it.

      HELP FILE AGAIN:

      There is one more simple thing that you can do. When you see a menu item
      or a page on the options settings just press F1. This brings up the
      context sensitive help for that item and is much faster to get to it than
      the way I said in my last post to you.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • treeline12345
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2004
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

        > I can tell you that this is why the shortcut is not working!
        Shortcuts.dat
        > MUST have that exact file name or it will not work period. How are
        you
        > saving this file? There is a file Shortcuts.dat that is place in
        tthe
        > folder when you install NoteTab. All you have to do is open the
        file, edit
        > it and click the save button to resave it. Then close NoteTab and
        restart
        > it again and your shorcuts should work.
        >
        > Try closing NoteTab and using Windows Explorer to rename
        Shortcuts.txt to
        > Shortcuts.dat and then restart NoteTab and see if that does the
        trick.

        > If you save a file using the Save As option and you leave off the
        > extension, NoteTab will save the file with a .txt extension. I
        have also
        > had problems on occasion when NoteTab has added the .txt extension
        to a
        > file that I saved with the correct extension. In that case, I
        would get
        > Shortcuts.dat.txt which, again, would cause the feature to fail. I
        would
        > see the name on the document tab and I would just click the right
        mouse
        > button on the tab and select "Rename" and then rename it to the
        correct
        > extension and close it.

        I had noticed that. Thanks for your reply. I did make sure
        the Shortcuts.DAT file was named properly and all that.
        It did not make any difference. It just does not take.

        > HELP FILE AGAIN:
        >
        > There is one more simple thing that you can do. When you see a
        menu item
        > or a page on the options settings just press F1. This brings up the
        > context sensitive help for that item and is much faster to get to
        it than
        > the way I said in my last post to you.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Larry
        > lrt@n... e¿ê

        Thanks for your suggestions. Cut sig!
        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2004
          Hi treeline12345,

          I cannot find a message with you stating what version of NoteTab
          you are using. Shortcuts.dat only works in the registered
          versions of NoteTab: Pro, Std, but not Light. It is stated in the
          last sentence in the Shortcuts.dat file's ;comments and the Help
          file entry which is the same. Sorry for not catching that earlier
          if that is the problem. You can download a trial version of Pro
          via: http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=notetab

          If you haven't used the 30 day trial in Light, assuming you are
          running it, you can from the main menu. It's been so long since I
          looked at that I forgot the menu. For some reason View is coming
          to mind.

          If you have Light, at the very least, we all had a the list
          members had a good discussion to read to find out how to use it. :)
          I hope you didn't waste too much time on it; more than you had to
          spare.

          >I had noticed that. Thanks for your reply. I did make sure
          >the Shortcuts.DAT file was named properly and all that.
          >It did not make any difference. It just does not take.

          Happy Tab'n,

        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2004
            At 12:49 AM 5/11/04 -0500, you wrote:
            >Hi treeline12345,
            >
            >I cannot find a message with you stating what version of NoteTab
            >you are using. Shortcuts.dat only works in the registered
            >versions of NoteTab: Pro, Std, but not Light. It is stated in the
            >last sentence in the Shortcuts.dat file's ;comments and the Help
            >file entry which is the same. Sorry for not catching that earlier
            >if that is the problem. You can download a trial version of Pro
            >via: http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=notetab

            I am sorry that I missed this. I do not see it in the Shortcuts.dat file.

            ; This file is used to redefine keyboard shortcuts in
            ; NoteTab's main menu. Each line takes a single shortcut
            ; assignment, with the first value representing the
            ; shortcut, followed by a space, and then the menu item
            ; as shown below. You can place a semi-colon in front of
            ; a key assignment to deactivate it or remove it from the
            ; file completely to switch back to NoteTab's default.

            The above comment is in my copy of the Shortcuts.dat file with no mention
            of such a limitation. I do see the information at the end of the section
            of the help file that covers this topic though. It is practically a little
            after thought right at the very end of the section. Very very easy for
            anyone to overlook. Eric should upgrade the comparison chart to cover it.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
            Message 5 of 6 , May 11, 2004
              Hi Larry & treeline12345,

              >> I cannot find a message with you stating what version of
              >> NoteTab you are using. Shortcuts.dat only works in the
              >> registered versions of NoteTab: Pro, Std, but not Light. It is
              >> stated in the last sentence in the Shortcuts.dat file's
              >> ;comments and the Help file entry which is the same. Sorry for
              >> not catching that earlier if that is the problem. You can
              >> download a trial version of Pro via:
              >> http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=notetab
              >
              >I am sorry that I missed this. I do not see it in the
              >Shortcuts.dat file.

              My bad; I copy/pasted the Help contents into Shortcuts.dat

              >Eric should upgrade the comparison chart to cover it.

              Yes, I will let him know. That is a great reason to buy NoteTab
              if one wants to change keyboard shortcuts. I don't use them much,
              but I did make an Alt+X that does the Tools | Validate HTML for
              me. It's great for me know when doing a lot of validation
              bringing all my older web pages up to date so to speak. The HTML
              signup link is in my sigline. :)

              Happy html'n!

              www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 6 , May 11, 2004
                Hi Jody,

                At 10:29 AM 5/11/04 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi Larry & treeline12345,
                >
                >Yes, I will let him know. That is a great reason to buy NoteTab
                >if one wants to change keyboard shortcuts. I don't use them much,
                >but I did make an Alt+X that does the Tools | Validate HTML for
                >me. It's great for me know when doing a lot of validation
                >bringing all my older web pages up to date so to speak. The HTML
                >signup link is in my sigline. :)

                My favorite shortcut is one to toggle the left clipbook panel open or
                closed without closing the clipbook editor the way F4 does. If I have
                clips with long lines, it frequently allows me to see the code better with
                less wrapping of lines. I like that a lot when I am writing clips.

                Ctrl+F12 Tools/ClipBook Properties/Hide Clipbook

                Regards,

                Larry
                lrt@... e¿ê