"Icon in System Tray" goes away

  • HixJimson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2004
      Sometime before I upgraded to Notetab Free 4.95, I noticed that at
      random intervals, the Notetab icon would disappear from the system
      tray. If I reopen NoteTab and go to View/Options, the "Icon in
      System Tray" box is still checked. If I uncheck it and click OK,
      and then reopen Options and click the system tray option again and
      click OK, it then reemerges in the system tray. For a while.

      I have a 2GHz Athlon, 512MB, XPPro with sp1 and all the latest
      upgrades. MS Office 2003, AutoCAD 2004, and a bunch of other
      random "stuff" is installed. I'm not sure what other info might be
      useful.

      Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2004
        XP will hide icons when they are 'inactive' by their (Microsoft's)
        standards...

        [1] Right-click the taskbar and choose Properties.
        [2] In the Task bar and Start Menu properties, 'Hide Inactive Icons' is
        probably checked.
        [3] Go to 'Customize' and find the NoteTab icon.
        [4] Change the 'Hide when Inactive' to 'Always Show' and see if that helps.

        Brian

        Sometime before I upgraded to Notetab Free 4.95, I noticed that at
        random intervals, the Notetab icon would disappear from the system
        tray. If I reopen NoteTab and go to View/Options, the "Icon in
        System Tray" box is still checked. If I uncheck it and click OK,
        and then reopen Options and click the system tray option again and
        click OK, it then reemerges in the system tray. For a while.

        I have a 2GHz Athlon, 512MB, XPPro with sp1 and all the latest
        upgrades. MS Office 2003, AutoCAD 2004, and a bunch of other
        random "stuff" is installed. I'm not sure what other info might be
        useful.

        Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Don Daugherty
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2004
          > Sometime before I upgraded to Notetab Free 4.95, I noticed that at
          > random intervals, the Notetab icon would disappear from the system
          > tray. If I reopen NoteTab and go to View/Options, the "Icon in
          > System Tray" box is still checked. If I uncheck it and click OK,
          > and then reopen Options and click the system tray option again and
          > click OK, it then reemerges in the system tray. For a while.
          >
          > I have a 2GHz Athlon, 512MB, XPPro with sp1 and all the latest
          > Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

          Maybe it gets moved into the "hidden" group after a while. If so, clicking
          the little < icon at the left of the tray should reveal it.
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2004
            Dan:

            If the problem isn't Brian's suggestion (hide less frequently used tray
            icons in XP) its probably worth noting that this problem has been reported
            more than once in versions prior to and (I believe including) 4.95 in both
            Free and Pro versions on Win9x and WinNT+ (ie 2K and XP both).

            AFAIK the only solution is the one you've already been using: resetting the
            options in Notetab Options.

            Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2004
              Hi,

              I appreciate your efforts, Brian and Alec. I have few task bar
              icons, so I don't hide them at all. I wish it was that easy a fix.

              If this is a reported bug, I guess I'll have to live with it. This
              problem is the only thing that has proved to be a problem with an
              otherwise stellar product.

              Thanks again, guys.

              Jim

            • naloloa
              Message 6 of 6 , May 27, 2004
                Don't ask me how it works, but if you inactivate pnp, the icons
                don't disappear from the task bar. See
                http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm for a free little program to do that.