Re: [NTB] Easy way to combine several html files

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2004
      On 24/4/2004 05:25, Daniel Prince invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >Is there an easy way to combine several html files with NoteTab
      >standard? For example if I had these files:
      >
      >story part 01.htm
      >story part 02.htm
      >story part 03.htm
      >story part 04.htm
      >story part 05.htm
      >story part 33.htm
      >
      >What is the easiest way to combine them into one html file? Thank you
      >in advance for all replies.

      Well, let's see... I have done that a number of times. My technique is a
      little bit different form John Zeman's, but the result is the same.

      First thing is to join all files into one big file. There's any number
      of ways to do that.
      One way is to use the COPY command on the system command-line, but it is
      a little error-prone if you aren't careful.
      Another, easier way, is to open all files in Notetab, designate the
      "part 1" file as a "Paste Board" and go through all the other files, in
      order, keying Ctrl-A (Select All) and Ctrl-C (Copy) in sequence.

      Then you go back to the beginning of the big file and start searching
      for the </body> tag. Every time you find this tag, select everything
      from it to the following <body> tag -- INCLUDING both tags. Delete the
      selection. Search for the next </body> tag. And so forth.
      (Of course, you shouldn't delete the very last </body> tag, only the
      ones in the middle of the file).

      After that, you should have a consolidated HTML file.

      However, you should be aware that there are a few specific things which
      cause problems in the new file -- even if the original "part" files were
      perfectly good, valid HTML. You should check the new file with HTMLTidy
      and a HTML validator to see if there is any problem.

      --
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      -=-=-