Skip to search.

Re: [NTB] accent marks, pro versus light

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2004
      On 22/4/2004 21:10, John Lewis invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >My question is about *composing* a document using extended characters
      >like é ê è etc. In Notetab Light I can write a document in French and,
      >using the same keyboard shortcuts as MS-Word, type out accented
      >characters, for example, CTRL-' + e becomes é (accent aigue).
      >
      >Notetab Pro seems to have lost that feature. Is there a setting
      >somewhere I'm not finding, or am I out of luck? I have the NTPro accent
      >library from the website, but compared to keyboard shortcuts, this is a
      >very inconvenient way to compose in French.

      There's a FAR easier way to type accented characters than memorizing all
      those specific codes:

      Go to the Windows Control Panel and set up your keyboard to use the
      "US-International" layout (You might even set this up as an alternate
      keyboard -- say, listing the language as "French" but with the layout as
      "US-International")

      With this layout, you get the accented characters in the following way:
      - To get an acute accent, type an apostrophe (') before the letter.
      - To get a grave accent, type the grave accent mark (`) (the one under
      the tilde, on the top left of the keyboard) before the letter.
      - To get a circumflex accent, type the "hat" key (^) before the letter.
      - To get a letter with a tilde, type the tilde (~) before the letter.
      - To get a C with cedilla, type the apostrophe before the "c" (think of
      the cedilla as a "C" with an acute accent)
      - To get an umlaut, type a double quote (") before the letter.

      If the combination of accent+letter is deemed "valid" (like acute accent
      + a), Windows will output an accented letter (á). If it's an invalid
      combination (like acute + j) it will output to separate signs ('j). If
      you type a space after the special "accent key", you get the regular
      character of the accent key.

      It takes a little bit to get used to pressing the spacebar after the
      quotes and apostrophes, but it's still easier learing this
      almost-logical behavior than memorizing all those twenty-odd illogical
      codes.

      (Historical note: it took a long time for the Brazilian bureau of
      standards to come up with a Brazilian computer keyboard layout. For a
      number of reasons, including some rather questionable design decisions,
      the Portuguese layout never took off here, and most computers came with
      American layout keyboards until a few years ago. So most Brazilian
      computer users, including me, learned to type on the US-International
      keyboard layout. Fortunately, the Brazilian ABNT2 layout -- which is
      really very well designed, and a great improvement -- is finally pushing
      out the old US-International...)

      --
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      -=-=-