Converting a word document for e-mail use

  • Shel Milligan
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 17, 2004
      I am trying to develop an e-mail product profile for my clients. I
      have created what I want as a Word document. The documents includes
      a header section, two columns of information and a picture of the
      product being profiled at the bottom of one of the columns.

      When I e-mail this document it appears with all the foremating
      countiuous and column breaks. The result looks unfinished.

      I have been told that I should be able to use a text editor to
      correct this problem.

      Is notetab the one? Will it work? And how do I get started? I am a
      fairly experienced user of Word, but have no experience with a text
      editor. Finally, I can't seem to find any documentation on how to
      use Notetab.

      Any help would be welcome.

      Shel
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 17, 2004
        On 17/4/2004 21:42, Shel Milligan invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

        >I am trying to develop an e-mail product profile for my clients. I
        >have created what I want as a Word document. The documents includes
        >a header section, two columns of information and a picture of the
        >product being profiled at the bottom of one of the columns.
        >
        >When I e-mail this document it appears with all the foremating
        >countiuous and column breaks. The result looks unfinished.
        >
        >I have been told that I should be able to use a text editor to
        >correct this problem.
        >
        >Is notetab the one? Will it work? And how do I get started? I am a
        >fairly experienced user of Word, but have no experience with a text
        >editor. Finally, I can't seem to find any documentation on how to
        >use Notetab.

        OK. Well, the problem, as I see it, is that you are trying to use Word
        as a HTML editor. Only, WinWord was NOT designed for that. It actually
        outputs rather bad HTML code (very bloated and not very forgiving of
        variations on the user's computer and/or browser).

        The thing is, many of the Word features have no equivalent in HTML, or
        they have to be done in radically different ways to work, so when Word
        exports your document to HTML, it usually will turn off those features.
        Take columns for instance. There is no ready-made way in HTML to do
        multicolumn text. There are ways to achieve similar results (as long as
        you don't want the text to flow automatically from one column to the
        other) by using tables (old, no-longer-recommended way) or positioned
        DIVs (recommended, modern way). The details of how to do that are
        outside the scope of this list, however.

        Now, if you DO understand HTML, you could take the crappy HTML exported
        by Word and fix it with a text editor, like Notetab (which is really
        good for that, since it has a number of features that help a lot for
        coding HTML). But, if you are NOT familiar with HTML, you will probably
        be better off with a visual WYSIWYG HTML editor, like Dreamweaver or
        FrontPage. Most of the better ones are rather expensive, though.

        If you are in a budget, you might wish to take a look at the FREE nVu
        editor. It's still in early beta stage, but it's an improved version of
        the Mozilla HTML editor, which has been around for a couple years, so
        it's actually very stable, only not as feature-rich as Dreamweaver or
        Frontpage at this point. You can download it at

        http://www.nvu.com/download.html

        --
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 18, 2004
          Yes, NEVER use Word to create HTML for the reasons described below!
          WYSIWYGs are an alternative but some of them can also produce bloated,
          awkward code. But short of learning how to code properly yourself, this
          is your best bet.

          Be aware though that an HTML e-mail won't display properly if someone
          has mail set up for plain text only. (Personally I prefer to send and
          receive all messages in plain text.)

          sisterscape

          http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 18, 2004
            I have found the BEST way to convert a WORD document to HTML is simply
            copy the TEXT to the clipboard, paste it into NoteTab, and use Note
            Tab's converter. Once the Text is converted, you can then add any
            graphics or additional coding readily.

            --
            ``

            Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

            Genealogy is the art of the living haunting the dead,
            If we persist perhaps they will become annoyed
            and tell us what REALLY happened.
            ~~~~
          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 18, 2004
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:
              > I have found the BEST way to convert a WORD document to HTML is
              simply
              > copy the TEXT to the clipboard, paste it into NoteTab, and use
              Note
              > Tab's converter. Once the Text is converted, you can then add any
              > graphics or additional coding readily.
              >
              > --
              > ``
              >
              > Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

              I agree Jeff, that's the way I do it too.

              Then with CSS it's usually a simple matter to apply the formatting
              and alignment you want.

              John
            • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 18, 2004
                On 18/4/2004 14:49, Jeff Scism invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                > I have found the BEST way to convert a WORD document to HTML is
                > simply copy the TEXT to the clipboard, paste it into NoteTab, and
                > use Note Tab's converter. Once the Text is converted, you can then
                > add any graphics or additional coding readily.

                Hmm, *kinda.* For short texts, or texts with very little previous
                formatting, this is a good approach -- just forget about any Word
                formatting and start again from scratch.

                However, when I have to work with long, formatted texts, redoing all
                the previous formatting by hand ends up being a LOT of tedious work.
                For instance, sometimes I have to convert texts with lots of highlited
                words and senteces (usually in italics) scattered throughout the text.
                In these cases, I begin by exporting a "filtered HTML" file from Word
                (it's not good enough, but it's *way* better than the unfiltered
                full-of-proprietary-crap HTML that Word exports by default) and start
                cleaning up the crud by using the replace function, alternating it
                with HTMLTidy. It takes a few iterations, but it's still less work
                than doing the entire thing by hand.

                I even have a custom clip macro which does a "first pass" cleanup,
                taking out the most common bloat that Words inserts...

                --
                Marcelo de Castro Bastos

                -=-=-
                ... Smile, its the second best thing you can do with your lip
                * TagZilla 0.049
              • Ron Cummings
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 19, 2004
                  Hope these links will help, Shel.

                  http://www.bestfoot.com/notetab/html/htmlmenu.shtml

                  http://www.notetab.com/

                  Good luck,

                  Ron Cummings

                  P.S. NoteTab Light is free.

                  ********************************
                  I am trying to develop an e-mail product profile for my clients. I
                  have created what I want as a Word document. The documents includes
                  a header section, two columns of information and a picture of the
                  product being profiled at the bottom of one of the columns.

                  When I e-mail this document it appears with all the foremating
                  countiuous and column breaks. The result looks unfinished.

                  I have been told that I should be able to use a text editor to
                  correct this problem.

                  Is notetab the one? Will it work? And how do I get started? I am a
                  fairly experienced user of Word, but have no experience with a text
                  editor. Finally, I can't seem to find any documentation on how to
                  use Notetab.

                  Any help would be welcome.

                  Shel

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bauke P. de Vries
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 26, 2004
                    Hello Marcelo de Castro Bastos,

                    I saw your mail with the link to NVU.com. I downloaded it, but cannot
                    find a 'help' or userguide to get started. Is there any written help
                    available and if there is, where?

                    Thanks in advance,

                    Met vriendelijke groet,
                    Bauke P. de Vries.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 26, 2004
                      Hi Bauke,

                      Please take this thread (Converting a word document for e-mail use) to
                      the NoteTab OffTopic list. Thanks!

                      You may sign up for the different discussion lists from either of
                      the links below. Please read the following if you decide to sign
                      up!

                      If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do *not*
                      post questions about Clips and other scripting languages (such as
                      RegExp, Perl, VB, etc.) on the Basic list. More difficult tasks
                      should be posted on the Clips or Scripts lists. HTML should be
                      posted on the HTML list and Off Topic discussion takes place on
                      that list. Easy Thumbnails, Easy Imager, and Album Express list
                      are for discussion of those programs. The most important thing to
                      remember is please leave the Basic list for the *very basic* use
                      of NoteTab. The other lists are a lot more flexible for instance
                      Clips can be/and are welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (Useful Libraries and Clips for
                      NoteTab, an excellent text and HTML editor): http://www.notetab.net