Copy from clipboard

  • Thomas Wayne Biddy
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
      Hi,

      I am wondering how to set it up to transfer contents of the
      clipboard? You can ctrl+c and it inserts the selection into a
      document but I just do not know how to do it.

      Thank you,
      Thomas
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
        Thomas,
        At 07:59 AM 4/3/2004, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >I am wondering how to set it up to transfer contents of the
        >clipboard? You can ctrl+c and it inserts the selection into a
        >document but I just do not know how to do it.

        CTRL+C COPIES the highlighted item TO the clipboard.

        To PASTE it back into a document FROM the clipboard,

        Position the cursor where you want the clipboard contents to be placed and....

        If you are a typist, do a CTRL+V

        or...

        If you are a mousist, right click for the pop up context menu then left click on paste.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Julie G
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
          Hi,

          >I am wondering how to set it up to transfer contents of the
          >clipboard? You can ctrl+c and it inserts the selection into a
          >document but I just do not know how to do it.

          In addition to what Larry said, there's also a Pasteboard option which can
          be turned on @ file|document|use as pasteboard which will then
          automatically paste any text contents copied to the clipboard into the
          pasteboard document.

          Julie
        • Jason Waugh
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
            Julie G wrote:

            > In addition to what Larry said, there's also a Pasteboard option which can
            > be turned on @ file|document|use as pasteboard which will then
            > automatically paste any text contents copied to the clipboard into the
            > pasteboard document.

            Additionally, CTRL-P turns this on, and you can also right click the
            tray icon (if you have NoteTab minimized to the tray) and there is a
            menu option to turn on Paste Board.

            Jason
            http://tools.remixer.com
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
              It's actually SHIFT+CTRL+P. CTRL+P invokes the print dialog box :-).

              Julie

              At 02:10 PM 4/3/2004 -0500, Jason Waugh wrote:
              >Julie G wrote:
              >
              > > In addition to what Larry said, there's also a Pasteboard option which can
              > > be turned on @ file|document|use as pasteboard which will then
              > > automatically paste any text contents copied to the clipboard into the
              > > pasteboard document.
            • Barry Karas
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
                Can the pasteboard option be used for other applications? I've used
                Highlight + Ctrl + (X,C, and/or V) for years and another option in this
                case is just confusing.

                Barry Karas

                At 02:10 PM 04/03/04, you wrote:
                >Julie G wrote:
                >
                > > In addition to what Larry said, there's also a Pasteboard option which can
                > > be turned on @ file|document|use as pasteboard which will then
                > > automatically paste any text contents copied to the clipboard into the
                > > pasteboard document.
                >

                >Additionally, CTRL-P turns this on, and you can also right click the
                >tray icon (if you have NoteTab minimized to the tray) and there is a
                >menu option to turn on Paste Board.
                >

                >Jason
                >http://tools.remixer.com

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Thomas Wayne Biddy
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
                  You have all helped. Thank you.

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Wayne Biddy" <t_biddy@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I am wondering how to set it up to transfer contents of the
                  > clipboard? You can ctrl+c and it inserts the selection into a
                  > document but I just do not know how to do it.
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  > Thomas
                • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
                    On 3/4/2004 17:02, Barry Karas invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

                    >Can the pasteboard option be used for other applications? I've used
                    >Highlight + Ctrl + (X,C, and/or V) for years and another option in this
                    >case is just confusing.

                    Well, it is an internal Notetab function, but it monitors the Windows
                    clipboard for *anything* that gets put there (well, at least anything
                    that can be understood as text, at least), so it can be used with text
                    you copied/cut from other applications. It doesn't work the other way,
                    though.

                    For instance, I use it to consolidate very long text pieces (like
                    fanfiction) I get from mailing lists or Usenet. Works like this:
                    - I activate the "pasteboard" function in a document in Notetab (usually
                    an empty document, but sometimes I use it to append text to an existing
                    document)
                    - I open my e-mail program (Mozilla Mail).
                    - For each message I want to consolidate (let's say, for the sake of
                    argument, that each message is a chapter from a story), I go Ctrl-A
                    (select All), Ctrl-C (copy).
                    - Notetab will notice the changed Windows Clipboard content and paste it
                    automatically -- without stealing focus, by the way, so I don't have to
                    switch programs back and forth. This happen without user intervention.
                    - Go to next message, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C again and so forth until the last
                    chapter.
                    - When I finish, I go back to Notetab. All those messages are now a
                    single text message.
                    There remains some minor text editing to do (mainly erasing the message
                    headers, footers, signatures, taglines and such). It helps a lot that I
                    have setup Notetab to insert a custom "separator" line (Paste Board
                    Divider, in Notetab parlance) between two successive pastes -- I
                    deliberately chose a sequence of characters that I don't expect ocurring
                    often inside regular text. So, I just have to search for that sequence
                    and I end up right in the breakpoints.

                    Another thing that helps a bit is to set up a Paste Sound -- so you can
                    have feedback on whether Notetab REALLY has captured the text you have
                    just copied to the clipboard.

                    Both custom settings can be found on the View/Options/Tools dialog.

                    --
                    Marcelo de Castro Bastos

                    -=-=-
                    ... Don't believe in miracles, expect them.
                    * TagZilla 0.049