Re: [NTB] FireFox

  • jelkscabaniss@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
      "Dennis" wrote:
      > > Anyone had success with FireFox in Browsers.dat? I've got the
      > > following:
      > >
      > > [moz]
      > > Command="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -width
      799 -
      > > height 599 -browser"
      > > UseDDE=0
      >
      > I was just having the same problem. I changed the,
      > -browser
      > -nohome
      > and problem was fixed.

      Hmm, doesn't work for me. As a matter of fact, "-nohome" brings up
      my home page (go figure), whereas at least "-browser" took the HTML
      document in NTP and displayed it in Firefox (albeit in "canvas mode"
      only).

      Any ideas?

      /Jelks
    • Lee Underwood
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
        I am having the same problem, except it opens Google to search for my HTML
        directory. I have the following in Browsers.dat (in addition to IE):

        [moz]
        Command=firefox.exe -nohome
        UseDDE=0

        Any other suggestions?

        Lee

        At 4/1/04 12:10 PM, Dennis wrote:

        >On Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 16:51, jelkscabaniss@... wrote:
        >
        > > Anyone had success with FireFox in Browsers.dat? I've got the
        > > following:
        > >
        > > [moz]
        > > Command="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -width 799 -
        > > height 599 -browser"
        > > UseDDE=0
        >
        >I was just having the same problem. I changed the,
        >
        >-browser

        >-nohome
        >
        >and problem was fixed.
        >

        > > (I left the label as [moz] just in case I move back. I also
        > > tried 'UseDDE=1' and the subsequent defaults, but no go.)
        > >
        > > Instead of the normal FireFox, I just get a very limited
        > > FireFox "canvas" -- no menu, toolbars, address box, no context menu,
        > > no nothing except the window itself, the canvas, and a scroll bar.
        > >
        > > I tried several variations of the 'Command=...' line, but without
        > > success. Anyone here have any luck?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >

        >--
        >Dennis

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
          On Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 17:22, Lee Underwood wrote:

          > I am having the same problem, except it opens Google to search for my
          > HTML directory. I have the following in Browsers.dat (in addition to
          > IE):
          >
          > [moz]
          > Command=firefox.exe -nohome
          > UseDDE=0
          >
          > Any other suggestions?

          Try removing the browser.dat file altogether. That should work if you
          have Firefox set as your default browser.

          --
          Dennis
        • Lee Underwood
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
            I renamed the Browser.dat file, restarted NoteTab Pro and it still doesn't
            work. Any other ideas?

            Lee

            At 4/1/04 05:52 PM, Dennis wrote:

            >On Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 17:22, Lee Underwood wrote:
            >
            > > I am having the same problem, except it opens Google to search for my
            > > HTML directory. I have the following in Browsers.dat (in addition to
            > > IE):
            > >
            > > [moz]
            > > Command=firefox.exe -nohome
            > > UseDDE=0
            > >
            > > Any other suggestions?
            >
            >Try removing the browser.dat file altogether. That should work if you
            >have Firefox set as your default browser.
            >
            >--
            >Dennis

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
              Lee Underwood wrote:

              > I renamed the Browser.dat file, restarted NoteTab Pro and it still
              doesn't
              > work. Any other ideas?
              >
              > Lee

              Lee,

              I looked on Mozilla's FireFox page and couldn't find a command line
              parameter list. Some, not all, of Mozilla's will work.

              The best I can do is with the browsers.dat excerpt below. I doesn't
              show the toolbars or menues, it does however display html or/and text
              very quickly and after all, displaying/testing a webpage is what the
              function is for.

              It, also, opens a window for each page you inspect, that's not ideal but
              it's a no frills window and should use less ram than a full browser window.

              [ffb]
              Command=C:\M_FireFox\FireFox.exe -height 598 -width 798 -browser
              UseDDE=0
              Application=FireFox
              DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
              Topic=WWW_OpenURL
              Topic_New=WWW_OpenURL

              hrs
            • Dennis
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                On Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 19:15, Lee Underwood wrote:

                > I renamed the Browser.dat file, restarted NoteTab Pro and it still doesn't
                > work. Any other ideas?

                Nope. Those two things worked here for me.

                --
                Dennis
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Hi Lee and Others,

                  I don't think you will come to a solution with any of the
                  Mozilla, Firebird, NetScape, etc. browsers that is going to work
                  on all machines. Some people get lucky, but most not. You've
                  pretty much wore it out for the NoteTab Basic list. If you still
                  want to try to get it going, please take it over to the Off Topic
                  list. Please see my signature line to subscribe to it. TIA!!! Or
                  go to the following link for all the lists sign on/off.

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                  >I renamed the Browser.dat file, restarted NoteTab Pro and it
                  >still doesn't work. Any other ideas?
                  >>
                  >> Try removing the browser.dat file altogether. That should
                  >> work if you have Firefox set as your default browser.

                  Happy Topics,
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                  All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • Don - htmlfixit.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                    Dennis wrote:

                    > On Thursday, April 01, 2004 at 17:22, Lee Underwood wrote:
                    >

                    >>I am having the same problem, except it opens Google to search for my
                    >>HTML directory. I have the following in Browsers.dat (in addition to
                    >>IE):

                    a while back we came up with a clip that opened the current notetab doc
                    in firefox ... seach the archives for a copy in clips
                  • jelkscabaniss@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                      "Don - htmlfixit.com" wrote:
                      > a while back we came up with a clip that opened the current
                      > notetab doc in firefox ... seach the archives for a copy in
                      > clips

                      Well, I found the clip, but I found something even better.

                      From Jody, last November (regarding Fire*bird*, but same beast more
                      or less, different name):

                      I use Avantbrowser (an IE shell) as my default browser, and thus
                      when I pressed CTRL+T in NTP, the current doc would open in it. The
                      two alternates (toolbar icons, or F8 and Shift+F8) were set up in
                      Browsers.dat as Firebird and Opera. Well after reading Jody's
                      message (above URL), I put the command line for Firefox ...

                      "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" ^**

                      into the "Custom Launch" box in View | Options | Tools, and changed
                      the "Main Browser" (View | Options | Internet) to be Avant (which is
                      described in Browsers.dat).

                      So I can now bring up the document in Firefox via CTRL+T, or press
                      F8 to bring it up in Avant, or Shift+F8 to bring it up in Opera.

                      I'm happy!

                      And I'll shut up now, since I see Jody is telling us to "move it"
                      and I'd like to stay in his good graces -- at least for the time
                      being -- especially now that he helped solved my problem almost four
                      months before I asked! :)

                      /Jelks
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
                        Hi Jelks and Others,

                        Actually, this would have been better on the Clips or even more
                        so on the HTML List. (Once we leave the realm of MS Internet
                        Explorer; we went advanced, beyond basic <big grin>.)

                        I really didn't read all the thread that close. I didn't know you
                        just wanted to get the page open. Yes, Custom Launch should have
                        done it and a Clip basically using the commandline that goes in
                        Custom Launch. It can see how to be done in the regular Help
                        under Clip Basics: Using the Clipbook to launch other programs.
                        (If you cannot figure it out from there using the "^**" example,
                        please do sign up for the Clips list or download my Clip
                        tutorial. It'll be covered in the first or second lesson with
                        very little geek speak if any at all. <g>

                        The following is a download for a Clipbook programming tutorial
                        designed to walk you through Clip writing. It includes "Getting
                        Started" (which is a web page with a number of images displaying
                        different parts of NoteTab that deals with Clipbooks), making a
                        Clipbook Library, adding Clips, and editing Clips, on to more
                        difficult Clip writing. Be sure to read the Introduction also.
                        Open ClipTut.clb and then click on the ClipTut.otl Outline Clip
                        to open the Outline.

                        All the contents of the zip files go in NoteTab's Libraries
                        folder. http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip

                        You can also sign up for the NoteTab Clips List to get answers to
                        Clip questions, but please do not post there concerning the
                        tutorial. NoteTab Clips Subscribe & Edit Options:

                        Subscribe, unSubscribe, Options

                        > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" ^**
                        >
                        >into the "Custom Launch" box in View | Options | Tools, and changed
                        >the "Main Browser" (View | Options | Internet) to be Avant (which is
                        >described in Browsers.dat).
                        >
                        >So I can now bring up the document in Firefox via CTRL+T, or press
                        >F8 to bring it up in Avant, or Shift+F8 to bring it up in Opera.
                        >
                        >I'm happy!
                        >
                        >And I'll shut up now, since I see Jody is telling us to "move it"
                        >and I'd like to stay in his good graces -- at least for the time
                        >being -- especially now that he helped solved my problem almost four
                        >months before I asked! :)

                        Happy Clip'n!

                      • Don - htmlfixit.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
                          jelkscabaniss@... wrote:
                          > "Don - htmlfixit.com" wrote:
                          >
                          >>a while back we came up with a clip that opened the current
                          >>notetab doc in firefox ... seach the archives for a copy in
                          >>clips
                          >

                          > Well, I found the clip, but I found something even better.
                          >
                          >>From Jody, last November (regarding Fire*bird*, but same beast more
                          > or less, different name):

                          > I use Avantbrowser (an IE shell) as my default browser, and thus
                          > when I pressed CTRL+T in NTP, the current doc would open in it. The
                          > two alternates (toolbar icons, or F8 and Shift+F8) were set up in
                          > Browsers.dat as Firebird and Opera. Well after reading Jody's
                          > message (above URL), I put the command line for Firefox ...
                          >
                          > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" ^**

                          Yes we came accross that at the same time. It worked for half the
                          people. I was the other half :-)
                          between the clip and that however, I think most of us got it going.
                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
                            This works for me:

                            my browsers.dat entry:
                            [Firefox]
                            Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

                            I'm using Tabbrowser extensions and on its options page - Advanced:
                            Enable/Disable DDE support by needs automatically = ON

                            FWIW: On the same page I have:
                            Open tabs instead of windows for
                            New windows opened by Other Applications = ON

                            I suspect the Enable/Disable DDE option is the critical one.

                            (see extensions:
                            http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/alpha.html#tbe )
                            Let me know whether it works for you

                            Regards ... Alec