Re: [NTB] Notetab Pro and defaults...

  • Robert Romberger
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
      On 31 Mar 2004 at 14:23, felix peregrino wrote:

      Hey Felix!

      > Thanks for your suggestions. I like Jim's analogy about
      > house building and I'm working at getting the exercises he
      > laid out done. I am truly a neophyte at this. I set about
      > attempting to teach myself Perl a few years back, but I
      > couldn't get the path to the interpreter right, and I gave
      > up in frustration. I think it was basically because I
      > didn't understand the editor I was using (UltraEdit). This
      > time I intend to understand the basics of NoteTab Pro first,
      > and then get around to learning a language.

      I have a number of resources for teaching perl (I learned on my own, then
      took a class at college and helped teach perl to the teacher, I now tutor
      perl), but that is mostly off topic for this list. I'll send this one
      though, as it is really good for folks new to perl.

      http://learn.perl.org/ The site for people learning Perl.

      > NoteTab Pro has already solved some problems I had posting
      > to my blog, and so I'm already favorably predisposed toward
      > it. I use it several times a day. Jim's instruction about
      > how to set up a file is a good start for me. I really learn
      > by doing as far as technical things are concerned. I intend
      > to just keep on trying to follow his instructions and see
      > what happens.

      Probably the best advice anyone can give - learn by doing. Start small
      and work up to what you want to do.

      > I'm subbed to most of the NoteTab groups and read
      > everything thoroughly even though I don't understand much. I
      > don't gnow enough to even ask good questions yet, but that
      > will come once I get my first good inkling of the general
      > gist of things.

      You are asking great questions now. Everyone starts out not knowing
      anything - I still don't know everything, but I am still learning - and
      that can be difficult for those of us that have been using NoteTab for a
      while to remember that we were once there too. These lists are something I
      wish I had available to me when I first started using NoteTab. I wouldn't
      have taken nearly as long to learn NoteTab, and might actually know
      something about clips now.

      --
      Robert

      The leadership instinct you are born with is the backbone. You develop the
      funny bone and the wishbone that go with it. Elaine Agather
    • felix peregrino
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
        On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:53:37 -0800
        "Robert Romberger" <jestar@...> wrote:

        > I have a number of resources for teaching perl (I learned on my own, then
        > took a class at college and helped teach perl to the teacher, I now tutor
        > perl), but that is mostly off topic for this list. I'll send this one
        > though, as it is really good for folks new to perl.
        >
        > http://learn.perl.org/ The site for people learning Perl.

        Thanks, Robert, your enthusiasm has me reaching for my mouse.
        I'll check it out. :-)

        felix
        http://home.earthlink.net/~fe1ix/
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
          Hi Felix and Others,

          This might be a bit lengthy, but I feel I must come to NoteTab's
          rescue. <g> There are two key points below that I mention though
          that should help beginners tremendously, the main menu and
          NoteTab's Glossary. I have not throughly read all this thread (a
          group of messages on the same subject) of the other about using
          and understanding what is written for help with NoteTab, so I
          might repeat something.

          >I'm subbed to most of the NoteTab groups and read everything
          >thoroughly even though I don't understand much. I don't know
          >enough to even ask good questions yet, but that will come once I
          >get my first good inkling of the general gist of things.

          First off, NoteTab does not have/come with a tutorial. The Help
          file or Help off the main menu (the list of words across the top
          of NoteTab starting with File, Edit, Search...) of NoteTab is for
          reference. It never has been and never will be to teach somebody
          how to use the program from top to bottom. That would cover a few
          books to be sure. The reason I say that is because of the many
          things that people use it for and the many tools it has. For
          example, someone mentioned having to learn two things at once
          like NoteTab and HTML. I agree! If NoteTab's Help had to be
          written to teach HTML, it would be books in itself just for that.
          (One does not need to know books of information though to get
          started with HTML.)

          I have never read a help file or tutorial except for reference
          now and then. I found that when starting off with a computer they
          are too difficult to understand and by the time I knew a little
          bit about computer programs for Windows they were way too easy
          and did not tell me much. Actually, I find NoteTab's Help file
          one of the better ones and find it very useful for reference,
          because I tend to forget some of the Clip syntax that I don't use
          often. I purposely used "Clip" and "syntax" so you could flame me
          for using words that you have no idea whet they are like
          "delimiter."

          You'll find that they are often used words (terms) on the lists
          and in the Help file. I think it is the terminology that cause
          beginners to go into frenzies! (I do say that in a nice way -been
          there, done that). I remember what it was like trying to
          understand something when I had no clue whatsoever what often
          used words meant. The answer/solution for that is made simple in
          NoteTab, at least I think it is. Some of us got together a few
          years ago and wrote a glossary of terms for NoteTab. You can
          access it easily from the Help menu. When you are reading Help or
          on the lists and a term comes up that you do not know, simply
          look it up. We'd be here forevermore trying to explain every word
          that is not in the common everyday English language.

          I think a lot of people go at (approach) NoteTab the wrong way.
          They seem to expect it to know what they want to do which of
          course is impossible. You need to know what you want to do first
          and then try to find ways to do it with NoteTab.

          To get an overall understanding of any program, I always go to
          the main menu and start clicking to see what it has. Most the
          time I know what a lot of it does just because they are standard
          features in any Windows program. Take Copy, Cut, Delete, Paste,
          for instance and they are normally found under the edit menu. If
          I want to see certain bars, windows, and the like I go to the
          View menu. The File menu normally deals with opening, closing,
          saving, printing, files.

          In NoteTab you can click on an item in the main menu and then on
          an item (or a sub-menu and then an item in it) and press F1 to
          pull up the Help file for that item. It will also have the other
          items listed in that portion of the menu. That should be a great
          help for beginners along with the NoteTab Glossary. One user
          (perhaps Jonathan) once noted on the list that it was one of the
          best glossaries he had found in any program. It not only covers
          the terms used in NoteTab, but some of the related areas also.

          Happy Tab'n,
          Jody Adair

          NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
          http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com