Re: Make "Save" button ask where to put file?

  • clueless in seattle
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...> wrote:

      > You can go to VIEW/OPTIONS and then on the FILES tab, near the
      > bottom, set D:\ as your default save to directory.
      >
      > Myself I prefer to enable the checkbox just above it called "Match
      > Directory".

      What does "Match Directory" do?

      If I create a new file, then which directory would the "Save" command
      choose for a "match"?

      > You can do more sophisticated things with clips, but of course this
      > is the wrong forum to go into detail about them.

      And we know what happens to those foolhardy enough to drift off-topic
      here don't we?
    • clueless in seattle
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...> wrote:

        > You can go to VIEW/OPTIONS and then on the FILES tab, near the
        > bottom, set D:\ as your default save to directory.
        >
        > Myself I prefer to enable the checkbox just above it called "Match
        > Directory".

        Well, I changed to "Match Directory" and then created a file I wanted
        to save in my "Politics, Religion and Philosophy" folder, after I
        clicked the "Save" button on the toolbar, and then did a search, I
        found the file in my "D:\Computers" directory.

        So we're getting closer, but still no cigar.

        Is there a way to get my toolbar "Save" button to invoke "Save As..."?

        Or perhaps I'm going at this from the wrong direction. When I click
        on the "New Document" button is there a way to get it to ask me which
        folder to put the file in?
      • clueless in seattle
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          OK, scratch all of the above. Let's start over.

          I've monkeyed around with the "Save Document" and "Save as..."
          buttons on my toolbar and it finally hit me how to describe what it
          is I want:

          I want the "Save" button on my NTP toolbar to behave like
          the "Save" button on my Word 97 toolbar, i.e., like this:

          1. I click the "Save" button the first time after creating a
          new file, it will open the browsing window allowing me to name the
          file and select or create a folder to place it in.

          2. Thereafter, each time I click the "Save" button, it will
          automatically re-save the file under the previously selected filename
          and folder name.

          So, can I get the "Save" button in NTP to work like the "Save" button
          in Word 97?

          If not, on which list should I post a request to have this feature
          added to the next release of NTP?
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "clueless in seattle"
            <clueless_seattle@y...> wrote:

            > I want the "Save" button on my NTP toolbar to behave like
            > the "Save" button on my Word 97 toolbar, i.e., like this:
            >
            > 1. I click the "Save" button the first time after creating a
            > new file, it will open the browsing window allowing me to name the
            > file and select or create a folder to place it in.
            >

            > 2. Thereafter, each time I click the "Save" button, it will
            > automatically re-save the file under the previously selected
            filename
            > and folder name.
            >
            > So, can I get the "Save" button in NTP to work like the "Save"
            button
            > in Word 97?

            I must not be understanding you correctly clueless, for what you're
            asking for IS the default behavior of the "Save" command (including
            saving by way of the toolbar icon).

            What are you seeing that I don't?

            "Match Directory" just means NoteTab will use the directory of your
            current active document, as the default directory for any additional
            documents you want to open. That is, if you have a file from
            D:\Documents open and active in NoteTab, if you click Open again,
            you'll be in the D:\Documents directory. If you switch to another
            open file in NoteTab that's in another directory, then that directory
            becomes the default. In other words, it kind of follows you around,
            wherever your current active document is stored, will be the default
            directory for opening other files.

            John
          • Ugly Person
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              > >How do I move Notetab Pro from one computer to another? I'd like
              > >to get it off of my home computer, where I hardly ever use it,
              > >onto my work computer, where I now have Notetab Light. If I
              > >remember correctly, I am not allowed to have two copies running
              > >on separate computers.

              Actually that's a pretty standard rule for most non-freeware programs.
              Luckily I learned from my experience that NoteTab is pretty transportable
              and if you copy the whole NoteTab directory from one location to another it
              will most likely work. It's always worked for me.

              Mind you, the best way is to just re-install it. You DID save the setup
              program when you first unlocked the "wrapper" program, didn't you? But as I
              said, the other way works almost as well.

              -Sean