Re: [NTB] Re: Make "Save" button ask where to put file?

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi Clueless,

      I also use John's suggestion (enable the checkbox just above it called "Match
      Directory"). That's quite handy. Setting the D drive as default may be
      useful too.

      To get a browsable window every time, however, why not select "Save as"
      instead of "Save". You can invoke "Save as" by pressing Ctrl+Shift+S

      HTH

      Ray Shapp
    • R Shapp
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Clueless,

        I should have added that you can invoke "Save as" another way by
        right-clicking on the file's tab.

        Ray Shapp
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
          At 01:39 AM 3/2/04 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Clueless,
          >
          >I should have added that you can invoke "Save as" another way by
          >right-clicking on the file's tab.
          >
          >Ray Shapp

          I only use "Save as" when I want another copy of the file in a different
          location from the original or under another name. If you use "Save as" on
          a new unsave file, I guess it is ok but if you forget and use it on a
          previously saved file, you can end up with a bunch of copies of the same
          file and lose track of some of them. The original is not overwritten or
          deleted unless you happen to select it in the "Save as" dialog or you
          manually delete it.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Cyberspace Publishing
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
            At 02:35 AM 03/02/2004 -0600, you wrote:
            >At 01:39 AM 3/2/04 -0500, you wrote:
            > >Hi Clueless,
            > >
            > >I should have added that you can invoke "Save as" another way by
            > >right-clicking on the file's tab.
            > >
            > >Ray Shapp
            >
            >I only use "Save as" when I want another copy of the file in a different
            >location from the original or under another name. If you use "Save as" on
            >a new unsave file, I guess it is ok but if you forget and use it on a
            >previously saved file, you can end up with a bunch of copies of the same
            >file and lose track of some of them. The original is not overwritten or
            >deleted unless you happen to select it in the "Save as" dialog or you
            >manually delete it.
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Larry

            That's SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for every Windows program that I
            am aware of - Mac and Linux, too. In fact, I know of none that don't do it
            that way.

            Cheers,
            Tom