Re: Make "Save" button ask where to put file?

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Clueless in Seattle"
      <clueless_seattle@y...> wrote:
      > I've got a "Save Document" button on my NTP toolbar -- it looks
      like
      > a little floppy disk -- and when I click it it saves my new files
      > the NTP program folder. Not what I had in mind.
      >
      > Is there I way I can configure that button so it will ask me which
      > folder I want to save a new file in, and then show me a browsing
      > window of my D: drive (where I store all my data files) so I can
      > select the appropriate folder?

      You can go to VIEW/OPTIONS and then on the FILES tab, near the
      bottom, set D:\ as your default save to directory.

      Myself I prefer to enable the checkbox just above it called "Match
      Directory".

      You can do more sophisticated things with clips, but of course this
      is the wrong forum to go into detail about them.

      John
    • james.homme@highmark.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
        Hi,
        How do I move Notetab Pro from one computer to another? I'd like to get it
        off of my home computer, where I hardly ever use it, onto my work
        computer, where I now have Notetab Light. If I remember correctly, I am
        not allowed to have two copies running on separate computers.

        Thanks.

        Jim

        James D Homme, Manager, Assistive Technology,
        Bender Consulting Services, Inc.
        Phone: 412-787-8567,
        E-mail: jhomme@...
        Web: http://www.benderconsult.com/
        Competitive Jobs Mean Freedom
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
          Hi Jim,

          Please write me at: jody@... Thanks!

          >How do I move Notetab Pro from one computer to another? I'd like
          >to get it off of my home computer, where I hardly ever use it,
          >onto my work computer, where I now have Notetab Light. If I
          >remember correctly, I am not allowed to have two copies running
          >on separate computers.

          Sincerely,
          Jody Adair

          NoteTab Text and HTML Editors
          MailBag Assistant; image software...

          Our CDs are loaded software and extra help!
          http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
          http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm

          My NoteTabbers Assistant Page
          Clips, Libraries, Outlines, and more...
          http://www.notetab.net
        • clueless in seattle
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...> wrote:

            > You can go to VIEW/OPTIONS and then on the FILES tab, near the
            > bottom, set D:\ as your default save to directory.
            >
            > Myself I prefer to enable the checkbox just above it called "Match
            > Directory".

            What does "Match Directory" do?

            If I create a new file, then which directory would the "Save" command
            choose for a "match"?

            > You can do more sophisticated things with clips, but of course this
            > is the wrong forum to go into detail about them.

            And we know what happens to those foolhardy enough to drift off-topic
            here don't we?
          • clueless in seattle
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...> wrote:

              > You can go to VIEW/OPTIONS and then on the FILES tab, near the
              > bottom, set D:\ as your default save to directory.
              >
              > Myself I prefer to enable the checkbox just above it called "Match
              > Directory".

              Well, I changed to "Match Directory" and then created a file I wanted
              to save in my "Politics, Religion and Philosophy" folder, after I
              clicked the "Save" button on the toolbar, and then did a search, I
              found the file in my "D:\Computers" directory.

              So we're getting closer, but still no cigar.

              Is there a way to get my toolbar "Save" button to invoke "Save As..."?

              Or perhaps I'm going at this from the wrong direction. When I click
              on the "New Document" button is there a way to get it to ask me which
              folder to put the file in?
            • clueless in seattle
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                OK, scratch all of the above. Let's start over.

                I've monkeyed around with the "Save Document" and "Save as..."
                buttons on my toolbar and it finally hit me how to describe what it
                is I want:

                I want the "Save" button on my NTP toolbar to behave like
                the "Save" button on my Word 97 toolbar, i.e., like this:

                1. I click the "Save" button the first time after creating a
                new file, it will open the browsing window allowing me to name the
                file and select or create a folder to place it in.

                2. Thereafter, each time I click the "Save" button, it will
                automatically re-save the file under the previously selected filename
                and folder name.

                So, can I get the "Save" button in NTP to work like the "Save" button
                in Word 97?

                If not, on which list should I post a request to have this feature
                added to the next release of NTP?
              • John Zeman
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                  <clueless_seattle@y...> wrote:

                  > I want the "Save" button on my NTP toolbar to behave like
                  > the "Save" button on my Word 97 toolbar, i.e., like this:
                  >
                  > 1. I click the "Save" button the first time after creating a
                  > new file, it will open the browsing window allowing me to name the
                  > file and select or create a folder to place it in.
                  >

                  > 2. Thereafter, each time I click the "Save" button, it will
                  > automatically re-save the file under the previously selected
                  filename
                  > and folder name.
                  >
                  > So, can I get the "Save" button in NTP to work like the "Save"
                  button
                  > in Word 97?

                  I must not be understanding you correctly clueless, for what you're
                  asking for IS the default behavior of the "Save" command (including
                  saving by way of the toolbar icon).

                  What are you seeing that I don't?

                  "Match Directory" just means NoteTab will use the directory of your
                  current active document, as the default directory for any additional
                  documents you want to open. That is, if you have a file from
                  D:\Documents open and active in NoteTab, if you click Open again,
                  you'll be in the D:\Documents directory. If you switch to another
                  open file in NoteTab that's in another directory, then that directory
                  becomes the default. In other words, it kind of follows you around,
                  wherever your current active document is stored, will be the default
                  directory for opening other files.

                  John
                • Ugly Person
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                    > >How do I move Notetab Pro from one computer to another? I'd like
                    > >to get it off of my home computer, where I hardly ever use it,
                    > >onto my work computer, where I now have Notetab Light. If I
                    > >remember correctly, I am not allowed to have two copies running
                    > >on separate computers.

                    Actually that's a pretty standard rule for most non-freeware programs.
                    Luckily I learned from my experience that NoteTab is pretty transportable
                    and if you copy the whole NoteTab directory from one location to another it
                    will most likely work. It's always worked for me.

                    Mind you, the best way is to just re-install it. You DID save the setup
                    program when you first unlocked the "wrapper" program, didn't you? But as I
                    said, the other way works almost as well.

                    -Sean