Re: Cursor and Text Drop When Editing

  • S or J
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
      Hi John and Jody

      Thank you for your time in responding to my problem.
      Despite using NoteTab Light for more than a year, I only
      used a limited number of its features and am very much
      a tyro as I realized while looking through the great advice
      in this group. Will certainly continue to monitor help here.

      After experimenting with the problem in NoteTab, I
      resurrected the text editor I had been using for these files
      by running it in XP's compatability mode. NotePad+ dates
      back to the 95 era or earlier, and definitely acts flaky under
      XP even in 95 compatibility mode. (Opening its help menu
      shut down the program, so I removed it from the XP machine
      today.)

      But first, the cursor and text drop was reproduced in NotePad+
      so it would appear that XP does not deal well with text editors
      containing some particular snippet of code from earlier days.
      Perhaps has something to do with text editors not having a right
      margin when not in word wrap mode. XP's fault.

      The otherwise excellent features in NoteTab will keep it as my
      default XHTML editor.

      As for my editing task, selected data from a number of metalworking
      groups is filed in some 78 subject files and cleaned up for some
      spelling and line formatting and removal of quotes and redundant
      info already in other messages. Line breaks, while not exceeding
      7 inches, have to be subjective to keep the spirit and readability
      and comprehension clear in sometimes tech-speak. Consequently
      line breaks have to be manually inserted one by one.

      Have done this for several years for my own reference purposes
      and then made the files freely available to the groups' members on a
      non commercial private site.

      Thanks again for your comments.

      Regards
      Steve