Re: [NTB] RegExp in replacing?

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
      At 11:02 PM 2/4/04 -0800, Ben B wrote:
      >On Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004
      >Bauke P. de Vries wrote regarding "RegExp in replacing?";
      >
      >> I would like to be able to replace for instance every string of 18
      >> spaces with a tab and in the second run all strings of 17 spaces and so on.
      >
      >Hi Bauke,
      >
      >I'm certain NoteTab can do what you want, but as Sheri said in her
      >(spammish??) message it might be better to use a clip (which might or
      >might not include regexps).
      >
      >However, as our beloved moderator frequently reminds us, this list is
      >strictly for discussion of the very basic use of NoteTab (and I suspect
      >this thread is already on thin ice).
      >
      >On the other hand, if you'd like to repost your question, perhaps in
      >greater detail, on the Clips list <ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com> you're
      >sure to get a solution.

      Here is information on subscribing to some of the other lists:

      CANNED MESSAGE FROM MY HELPER FILE:
      ===================================
      Discussion of clips and how to write and use them is a subject reserved for
      the NoteTab Clips list. Jody Adair also prefers that technical topics such
      as regular expressions and how to write scripts also go to the Clips list
      or the Scripts list. The basic list is for discussion of the basic
      features of NoteTab for new users. You can join the other lists by sending
      an empty post to which ever list or lists that apply to the subject of your
      post:

      The NoteTab Clips List............ ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      The NoteTab Scripts List.......... ntb-Scripts-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      The NoteTab HTML List............. ntb-HTML-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      The NoteTab Off-Topic List........ ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Jody also has set up a web page on his site to subscribe to or unsubscribe
      from the lists at:

      If you want to reply with a clip to someone on the basic list and you do
      not know whether he is on the Clips list or not, you can post your message
      and clips to the Clips list and Cc: to the person you are replying to.

      This message is provided for informational purposes only and it is not a
      put down or rebuke of anyone. I am a listmember the same as you are and I
      sometimes forget which list I am posting to and accidentally post a clip to
      the basic list which Jody Adair has asked us not to do. Then I do one of
      two things. 1.) I freeze up and hope nobody notices that I screwed up. 2.)
      I choke on my own spit while I type up an apology to the list for the
      mistake. This message is mainly for new listmembers who may see a clip
      posted to the list and think that it is ok when it is not. The policy is
      to avoid giving new users the impression that this list and NoteTab is for
      programmers and causing them to unsubscribe because they do not want be
      forced to learn programming to use NoteTab. Nothing could be farther from
      the truth and we want everyone to know that you can find much to love about
      this program with out ever using clips. Clips are just the icing on the
      cake and we love to show them off. So Jody set up the Clips list so us
      programmers can do just that. I have this message in a helper.otl file and
      I paste it into my replies occassionally to help Jody Adair out because I
      know how busy he is. We really do appreciate it when you limit your posts
      to the correct list for the subject material.

      Thank you.

      END OF CANNED MESSAGE FROM MY HELPER FILE:

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Ben B <benb_i26up@x> wrote:

        > I'm certain NoteTab can do what you want, but as Sheri said in her
        > (spammish??) message it might be better to use a clip (which might

        I sure would like to know what made it spammish? Since I read
        messages for this group online, under ordinary circumstances I
        wouldn't even know what you talking about. Fortunately another
        member emailed me. My previous message was ontopic and to the point.
        I hope this false positive doesn't have blacklisting consequences.
        Maybe there there is a group settings that need to be tweaked. Jody?

        Sheri
      • John C Bullas (TRG: Univ. of Southampton)
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
          At 12:58 05/02/2004, Sheri wrote:

          have emailled the listowner how to turn off this poxy spam detector yahoo
          think actually works!!!

          John
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
            Sheri wrote:

            > Re: [NTB] RegExp in replacing?
            > From:
            > "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...>
            > Date:
            > Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:58:17 -0000
            > To:
            > notetab@yahoogroups.com
            > To:
            > notetab@yahoogroups.com
            >
            >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Ben B <benb_i26up@x> wrote:
            >
            >>I'm certain NoteTab can do what you want, but as Sheri said in her
            >>(spammish??) message it might be better to use a clip (which might
            >

            >I sure would like to know what made it spammish? Since I read
            >messages for this group online, under ordinary circumstances I
            >wouldn't even know what you talking about. Fortunately another
            >member emailed me. My previous message was ontopic and to the point.
            >I hope this false positive doesn't have blacklisting consequences.
            >Maybe there there is a group settings that need to be tweaked. Jody?
            >
            >Sheri

            Sheri,

            I don't know where the Spam tag came from, but, the previous, and last
            message had attachments. I thought these lists were supposed to cull
            messages with attachments, or, at least, remove the attached.

            The last message, the one I examined contained an attachment, consisting
            of the message itself. Each attachment, in turn, contained an
            attachment of itself.

            I went back 3 levels and all contained the same thing.

            hrs
          • Marcel
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
              In fear of going too far oftopic.
              I have the basic Notetab. Do I have a benefit if I also make myself a
              member on the Clips list? Or is the clips functionality not entirely
              supported with the free version?

              greetings,
              Marcel de Jong

            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
                Hi Marcel,

                At 04:29 PM 2/5/04 +0100, you wrote:
                >In fear of going too far oftopic.
                >I have the basic Notetab. Do I have a benefit if I also make myself a
                >member on the Clips list? Or is the clips functionality not entirely
                >supported with the free version?
                >
                >greetings,
                >Marcel de Jong

                It does not matter what version of NoteTab you have, freeware or shareware
                or none (although it would help you if you have a version to try things
                on). The lists (all of them) are free to anyone to join and participate in
                subject to the list rules which you receive in the welcome letter from Jody
                when you subscribe. Things such as: Do not promote a competitor's product
                on the list. Do not use bad language. Do not engage in personal attacks
                on other listmembers and so forth and so on. Otherwise feel free to post
                questions about NoteTab and clips to the proper lists. You can subscribe
                or unsubscribe to any of the lists as often as you wish and you can change
                your member settings as often as you wish. You can do these things by
                email only or you can go to the website for each list and do the same or
                you can do both.

                Regards,

                Larry
                lrt@... e¿ê
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
                  Hi Sheri and Others,

                  I don't know what the requirements are for "spammish," but Alice
                  t... mentioned how to turn it off on the Off Topic list, so I
                  will do so. It is a group setting, so I'll have to do it for each
                  one. I'll get to it when I find some time. We have been just
                  disapproving SPAM in the past so you all never saw it. Actually,
                  Julie G. has been doing it for us for the past half year or so -
                  thanks Julie!

                  >> I'm certain NoteTab can do what you want, but as Sheri said in
                  >> her (spammish??) message it might be better to use a clip
                  >> (which might
                  >
                  >I sure would like to know what made it spammish? Since I read
                  >messages for this group online, under ordinary circumstances I
                  >wouldn't even know what you talking about. Fortunately another
                  >member emailed me. My previous message was ontopic and to the
                  >point. I hope this false positive doesn't have blacklisting
                  >consequences. Maybe there there is a group settings that need to
                  >be tweaked. Jody?

                  Happy Tab'n,
                  Jody Adair

                  NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
                  http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                • Julie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
                    Coming soon to an email list near you (if it didn't take the first time)!

                    >Maybe there there is a group settings that need to be tweaked. Jody?
                    >
                    >Sheri
                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
                      John:

                      Your email which did not get treated as spam contains this header:

                      Sheri's which was marked as spam and converted to an attachment contains
                      this:

                      Other pseudo-spams from other yahoo-groups also seem to have this
                      "SFLAG=OPENRELAY" tag in the X-eGroups-Rocket-Track.

                      You said:
                      > have emailled the listowner how to turn off this poxy spam detector
                      > yahoo think actually works!!!

                      Could you publish it here so I can pass it on to other lists/listowners. I'd
                      had a look at the links from the page yahoo refernces:
                      indicates it could be turned off per list.

                      I hadn't thought to check the two lists I "own" for a way to turn it off on
                      a per list basis since I only have them for personal use.

                      If you found something could you post it here so it can be passed on?

                      Regards ... Alec

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
                        On Thursday, Feb 05, 2004
                        Marcel wrote regarding "Question about clips in basic notetab (was: Re: [NTB] RegExp in replacing?)";

                        > I have the basic Notetab. Do I have a benefit if I also make myself a
                        > member on the Clips list? Or is the clips functionality not entirely
                        > supported with the free version?

                        Marcel,

                        I believe the Light version supports clips. There is a comparison chart
                        at <http://www.notetab.com/chart.php> Note that all three versions are
                        "Programmable" which (I think) refers to the clip functions.

                        The Light version doesn't support "Clipbars", but that's a different
                        (though related) function.

                        Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

                        HTH
                        Ben B