  • John C Bullas
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      Good Day

      I would appreciate your combined expert advices on this one...

      I am a road safety researcher collecting lots of CSV files like the
      example in the directory given above..... (in the files area)

      I want to translate/combine them into a single flat file for further
      analysis, one row per data file) no modification of the contents is
      required just transposition and combination of the contents of many
      CSV files into one flat file (CSV)

      The output needs to be able to accomodate inputs at twice the
      resolution with up to 6 seconds of data (see the vert_layout.csv
      vertical layout with extra time points)

      It looked like (g)awk could "walk the talk" however having visited
      this page......

      http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/html_mono/gawk.html

      .... I am running scared (I am NOT a programmer) ;)

      HOWEVER anyone man (or woman) enough to assist me in greater detail
      in doing this task with notetab will be rewarded accordingly with a
      few international beer/wine vouchers via paypal and a mentiuon in my
      PhD!

      I have no budget for what I need as I am funding the research out of
      my own pocket :(

      I am really struggling here to get the job done...

      Best Regards

      John C Bullas
      http://www.soton.ac.uk/~johnb/
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        I am not familiar with CSV files, but it appears they are ASCII plain
        text documents so I would think each CSV file could be a topic within
        a NoteTab outline flat file. If that is done however (and I'm sure
        it would be fairly easy to do with a clip) the next question in my
        mind is how you would be able to parse the CSV info from within an
        outline flat file? Have you manually tried copying and pasting a
        couple CSV files into a NoteTab outline? If you haven't, you might
        give that a try first to see if it's what you want, and if it is,
        post a question in the Clips section here (
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/messages ) to get some help
        on building a clip to import all the CSV files into an outline.

        John

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John C Bullas" <j.c.bullas@s...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
          Hi John,

          I replied from my support address where you wrote, but he it is on the list.

          I take it you want to merge them, insert one after another. You
          can use Document | Insert File... assuming you have exported them
          into a regular text file. or download my DirStuff Library. You
          wan the Append To File... and/or the Append To Directory Clips...
          If that is not what you want I suggest that you sign up for my
          Clips discussion mailing list. Do not discuss Clips on this list,
          please!!!

          http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

          We do not support our freeware. We simply do not have the
          resources to provide help for our freeware. I'm sorry!

          I run (with the help of moderators;) quite a few discussion mailing
          lists for our products on yahoogroups.com You can get fast,
          courteous, and useful help on them.

          You may sign up for the different discussion lists from either of
          the links below. Please read the following if you decide to sign
          up!

          If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do *not*
          post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
          Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips or
          Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
          Topic discussion takes place on that list. Easy Thumbnails, Easy
          Imager, and Album Express list are for discussion of those
          programs. The most important thing to remember is please leave
          the Basic list for the *very basic* use of NoteTab. The other
          lists are a lot more flexible for instance Clips can be/and are
          welcomed on the HTML list. Thanks!!!

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (Useful Libraries and Clips for
          NoteTab, an excellent text and HTML editor): http://www.notetab.net

          >I would appreciate your combined expert advices on this one...
          >
          >I am a road safety researcher collecting lots of CSV files like the
          >example in the directory given above..... (in the files area)
          >
          >I want to translate/combine them into a single flat file for further
          >analysis, one row per data file) no modification of the contents is
          >required just transposition and combination of the contents of many
          >CSV files into one flat file (CSV)
          >
          >The output needs to be able to accomodate inputs at twice the
          >resolution with up to 6 seconds of data (see the vert_layout.csv
          >vertical layout with extra time points)

          See ya in the funnies!

          http://www.clean-funnies.com

          you missed a good joke! 8D

        • Don Passenger
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
            all you want to do is take regular files and read a bunch of them into
            one flat file?
            how do you want them separated?

            This is a topic for the clips list I suppose, so post it over there or
            email me directly.
            Could easily be done with perl or a clip, probably with access etc.

            John C Bullas wrote:

            > Good Day
            >
            > I would appreciate your combined expert advices on this one...
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
              hi
              the program below converts it to text
              Sam Francke

              Email to: s.j.francke@...
              Homepage: http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

              Address to send a postcard:
              Sam Francke
              Arendlaan 41
              3853 SB Ermelo
              The Netherlands

              THANKYOU DAVE
              > I would appreciate your combined expert advices on this one...
              >
              > I am a road safety researcher collecting lots of CSV files like the
              > example in the directory given above..... (in the files area)
              >
              > I want to translate/combine them into a single flat file for further
              > analysis, one row per data file) no modification of the contents is
              > required just transposition and combination of the contents of many
              > CSV files into one flat file (CSV)
              >
              > The output needs to be able to accomodate inputs at twice the
              > resolution with up to 6 seconds of data (see the vert_layout.csv
              > vertical layout with extra time points)
              >
              > It looked like (g)awk could "walk the talk" however having visited
              > this page......
              >
              > http://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/html_mono/gawk.html
              >
              > .... I am running scared (I am NOT a programmer) ;)
              >
              > HOWEVER anyone man (or woman) enough to assist me in greater detail
              > in doing this task with notetab will be rewarded accordingly with a
              > few international beer/wine vouchers via paypal and a mentiuon in my
              > PhD!
              >
              > I have no budget for what I need as I am funding the research out of
              > my own pocket :(
              >
              > I am really struggling here to get the job done...
              >
              > Best Regards
              >
              > John C Bullas
              > http://www.soton.ac.uk/~johnb/

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • John C Bullas (TRG: Univ. of Southampton)
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
                At 12:24 03/02/2004, you wrote:
                >hi
                >the program below converts it to text

                I am trying to work out if it will extract text with common leading
                characters and transpose it
                into a table with a single leading line of column field names

                John