Re: Re: [NTB] how2 make two columns out of one

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2004
      DCat: (followup)

      If you've got the Office suite then Excel might be your best option for
      arranging columnar data by "hand" - ie. not using a clip with programmed
      rules. Again if this needs clarification use the Off-Topic list.

      Open your single-column file in Notetab, open a blank worksheet in Excel.
      Select-All in Notetab, copy, then paste in Excel
      ... rearrange columns to your hearts content in Excel using its tools
      (copy/paste/drag to extend data series etc, etc, etc)
      When it looks "right".
      Select-All in Excel, copy, then paste in Notetab

      Turn on [show non-printing characters] since each column will be separated
      by a TAB character. Using various Find/Replace passes you can convert these
      back to spaces etc to get column alignment.

      If this (alignment) is an issue, you could pad all lines with a string of
      otherwise unused character (say '=') then replace when done with spaces.

      By flipping back and forth between Excel and Notetab to use each's
      capabilities, amazing things can be done quite simply. Throw in use of
      Notetab's regular expressions (well worth experimenting with) for
      Find/Replace as needed and there is no limit to the ways that lists can be
      transformed!

      Regards ... Alec