RE: [NTB] Retaining Open Files After Reboot?

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
      Kevin,
      This doesn't address NT's issue, but I think I have a thought for you with
      your RAM usage.

      Do a search on Tweaks for your OS. There are .vbs sripts that let you click
      on them to release RAM without having to reboot. I have one set for my RAM
      amount and it works well.

      Here's the page: http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/harddrive/2.shtml

      Perhaps this will help?
      Christine

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
        First off, thanks to everyone who answered me first time 'round. It's
        much appreciated.

        However, to clarify this time (~Big Smile~) I'm using Windows 98 SE
        (happily, by the by) and have full control over all aspects of my
        computer... (And a fair handle on how to use it, I guess.)

        I tried what was suggested--both renaming and totally removing
        the .ini file from my NoteTab Pro folder.

        That worked fine through *one* reboot (shut off at night and booting
        next morning) as I recall...

        Hasn't worked probably 9 times out of 10, though.

        In other words, I've done that over and over (and over again (the
        renaming) to try and get it to 'stick.'

        I have to say that it's very frustrating, as I often work with 20 to
        30 open files that I'd like to 'find' next go 'round... (Lordy, I
        even thought about starting to keep a handwritten list. But I'd
        forget every single time...)

        I'm going to have to figure some way to recall where things are. I
        have subfolder upon subfolder I work with and files from literally
        dozens, so I can't say how confusing and annoying it is not to be
        able to have the essential files open when I need 'em.

        I'm strongly considering reverting to using the free version--and
        then pull things over to Pro when I really need the features (which
        have certainly paled for me during all this frustration). At least I
        never have these problems with that version of the software. (It
        still makes me chuckle that the free version has less bugs than the
        pro version... ~Big Smile~)

        Any other suggestions? Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall? Could
        there be some other reason I'm having such a *bad* time with the
        software?

        Or maybe somebody can suggest a similar software I could try in place
        of NoteTab Pro? (I think I'm getting a tad desperate now. LOL. Can't
        believe I'd ever think of giving up on NoteTab, but this has me
        pulling my hair out...)

        Anyway, the defaulting to the systray cleared up, although the
        software *never* opens first time 'round. (I don't ever double-click
        the icon anymore, as that *never* seemed to open it properly--in case
        anybody here cares. I'd always right-click and select Open, as that
        worked better. But now that *never* works the first time I try it. It
        takes twice every time to open it... A sure sign my Open files will
        be gone, by the by...)

        Thanks again for all the help. It's appreciated.

        ~~KevinR
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
          KevinR wrote:

          > First off, thanks to everyone who answered me first time 'round. It's
          > much appreciated.
          >
          > However, to clarify this time (~Big Smile~) I'm using Windows 98 SE
          > (happily, by the by) and have full control over all aspects of my
          > computer... (And a fair handle on how to use it, I guess.)
          >
          > I have to say that it's very frustrating, as I often work with 20 to
          > 30 open files that I'd like to 'find' next go 'round...
          >
          > I'm strongly considering reverting to using the free version--and
          > then pull things over to Pro when I really need the features (which
          > have certainly paled for me during all this frustration).
          >
          > Any other suggestions? Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall? Could
          > there be some other reason I'm having such a *bad* time with the
          > software?
          >
          > Or maybe somebody can suggest a similar software I could try in place
          > of NoteTab Pro? (I think I'm getting a tad desperate now. LOL. Can't
          > believe I'd ever think of giving up on NoteTab, but this has me
          > pulling my hair out...)
          >
          > Thanks again for all the help. It's appreciated.
          >
          > ~~KevinR

          KevinR,

          I've followed this string but not too closely. I wonder if I could
          suggest that you list, to the best of your knowledge, the individual
          things you've tried to get NTPro to work as it should.

          To have the continual trouble you're having is extremely unusual. Pro
          is one of the most stable pieces of software on my computer. If we
          could view a compiled list we might see additional items to check and
          verify. Sorry you're having trouble.

          hrs
        • Larry Thomas
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
            Hi Kevin,

            At 06:22 PM 1/15/04 -0000, you wrote:

            >First off, thanks to everyone who answered me first time 'round. It's
            >much appreciated.
            >
            >However, to clarify this time (~Big Smile~) I'm using Windows 98 SE
            >(happily, by the by) and have full control over all aspects of my
            >computer... (And a fair handle on how to use it, I guess.)
            >
            >I tried what was suggested--both renaming and totally removing
            >the .ini file from my NoteTab Pro folder.
            >
            >That worked fine through *one* reboot (shut off at night and booting
            >next morning) as I recall...
            >
            >Hasn't worked probably 9 times out of 10, though.

            I have looked at Jim and Jody's reply to your previous post and it seems
            fairly simple enough but I will suggest one more thing. Go to the menu bar
            and select View/Options and then go to the General tab. You should have
            "Reload Open Documents" checked. You should NOT have "Allow Multiple
            Instances" checked. If you do allow multiple instances then it is possible
            for the last instance to write to the ini and that will cause it to be the
            new default. That is, if you open NoteTab once with your favorite files
            open and then open a second instance with other files you are editing, you
            can lose your settings to the second instance if you close it last. Each
            instance of NoteTab writes to the ini file with its cirrent settings when
            it is terminated and if you have more than one open, then you have to be
            careful to leave the one open that has the settings you want until all of
            the other instances are closed or it will be replaced by the settings of
            the last one you close. I hope that is not too confusing to you.

            Otherwise, I cannot think of anything that Jim or Jody has not told you to do.

            By the way, there are two settings on the general tab that are opposed to
            each other. If you check one then the other will be unchecked.

            "Reload Open Documents" or "Load Favorites on Startup" - you can only have
            one checked at one time. If you check one the other will become unchecked.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • Kevin Royal
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
              Thanks, Larry...

              Actually, I already 'reasoned out' that multiple instance thing
              and have made sure it's OFF. (Good for others here to note,
              though!)

              Yep, I also realize that the open and favorites are a one-only
              choice, too...

              Darn it. This is a big pain. LOL.

              Everybody has lovely ideas for me to try, but unfortunately I'm
              still muddled (and currently trying to work with *both* versions
              of NoteTab open at once... ROFL).

              I appreciate the thoughts, though, Larry.

              ~~KevinR

            • Charles M. Raine
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                Hi Kevin:

                On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:09:55 -0800 (PST), Kevin Royal wrote:
                >Everybody has lovely ideas for me to try, but unfortunately I'm
                >still muddled (and currently trying to work with *both* versions of
                >NoteTab open at once... ROFL).

                I think I may have figured out what you problems are...

                1. You are running short of MEMORY (RAM).
                2. Running both versions of NoteTab only increases that possibility. You
                also mentioned using a graphic program which you said will max out your
                ram, and cause a reboot.
                3. If you Reboot without closing NoteTab it will not have saved the
                information related to your open files!

                I just bought another 512 MB of ram and it works wonders!

                Charlie R.
              • Larry Thomas
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                  Hi Charles and Kevin,

                  At 08:20 PM 1/15/04 -0600, you wrote:
                  >Hi Kevin:
                  >
                  >On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:09:55 -0800 (PST), Kevin Royal wrote:
                  >>Everybody has lovely ideas for me to try, but unfortunately I'm
                  >>still muddled (and currently trying to work with *both* versions of
                  >>NoteTab open at once... ROFL).
                  >>

                  >I think I may have figured out what you problems are...
                  >
                  >1. You are running short of MEMORY (RAM).
                  >2. Running both versions of NoteTab only increases that possibility. You
                  >also mentioned using a graphic program which you said will max out your
                  >ram, and cause a reboot.
                  >3. If you Reboot without closing NoteTab it will not have saved the
                  >information related to your open files!
                  >
                  >I just bought another 512 MB of ram and it works wonders!
                  >
                  >Charlie R.

                  WARNING!! Kevin says he is using Windows 98 the same as I am. Windows 98
                  will not use any RAM above 128 Megabytes. I have Windows XP on another
                  Drive in a Drive tray and one of these days, I will install it into my
                  computer and move all of my programs over to it but until then I can only
                  us 128 Megs of the one Gigabyte of RAM that I have now. It causes my ATI
                  All-In-Wonder to freeze up my system if I try to use the video recording
                  features built into the card. So he can upgrade to 128 Megs if he does not
                  already have that much RAM but he should not add more unless he is also
                  going to a higher version of Windows that will support the extra RAM.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  lrt@... e¿ê
                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                    Kevin:

                    > However, to clarify this time (~Big Smile~) I'm using Windows 98 SE
                    > (happily, by the by) and have full control over all aspects of my
                    > computer... (And a fair handle on how to use it, I guess.)

                    Charles' idea about memory being the problem is valid, but in Win9x my
                    experience was always that running out of resources became an issue long
                    before memory (RAM) caused problems.

                    Just to make sure either or both is not was causing your problems - can you
                    confirm that you have Resource Meter (from the Win98 distro) and/or one of
                    TClockEx, ProcessMonitor, TaskInfo2003 (all freeware or light nags - just
                    Google) running to show whether it is a shortage of Resources causing your
                    problem?

                    It would be worth retrying what ever causes your failure symptoms under a
                    *very* light load. ie - close all other apps and make sure nothing not
                    required is being invoked at startup and see if you get the same or
                    different problems.

                    Addressing two of your specific problems:

                    > I'm going to have to figure some way to recall where things are. I
                    > have subfolder upon subfolder I work with and files from literally
                    > dozens, so I can't say how confusing and annoying it is not to be
                    > able to have the essential files open when I need 'em.

                    As a workaround until the main problem gets solved - could you build a
                    Favorites list that includes all the files you want to be able to access and
                    use QuickList to select from for the file/files you want to work on?

                    SysTray icon for Notetab: When I was using Win98 I always had problems
                    getting this feature to work consistently too - others have reported similar
                    problems. Usually clicking the option off/on (OK'ing between each in
                    Options) seems to help but long term I found it more useful to just leave
                    Notetab on the taskbar.

                    This also allows you (if you want to open a file from Windows Explorer) to
                    drag the file(s) on to the TaskBar-Notetab button - wait a second or two -
                    Notetab window gets restored - drop it/them into Notetab. Note: I didn't
                    discover this till after switching to Win2K so I'm not posiitive it will
                    work in Win9x

                    Long term: Get Win2K or WinXP - the time you save in not having to reboot
                    never mind the other advantages will be so gooood :-)

                    Regards ... Alec

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                              On 15 Jan 2004 at 18:22, KevinR wrote:

                              > Anyway, the defaulting to the systray cleared up, although the
                              > software *never* opens first time 'round. (I don't ever double-click
                              > the icon anymore, as that *never* seemed to open it properly--in case
                              > anybody here cares. I'd always right-click and select Open, as that
                              > worked better. But now that *never* works the first time I try it. It
                              > takes twice every time to open it... A sure sign my Open files will
                              > be gone, by the by...)

                              You are really starting me to think that you are experiencing hard disk
                              errors through fragmentation of actual physical errors. When was the last
                              time you did a scandisk and a defrag? It sounds like NT is trying to write
                              to the disk, but something isn't allowing it to do so consistently. Why
                              this is happenning to NTP and not the lite version may have more to do with
                              where on the disk the program files are being written to. Try the scandisk
                              and defrag first, then see if NTP starts saving your settings properly.

                              --
                              Robert

                              Thought for the day: If man does his best what else is there? George S.
                              Patton