Retaining Open Files After Reboot?

  • KevinR
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 8, 2004
      Hello! I'm a newbie to the list (recommended to me by a friend).

      I've got both NT pro and NT light. I find it rather *annoying* that
      my light version seems to be less problematic (buggy?) than the light
      version...

      I'm in the habit of opening various files and leaving them open.
      After a reboot, my light version will still have those files open.
      But the pro will not.

      I've tried changing the options repeatedly to no avail.

      I also like to default my NT to the systray. The light version holds
      this default (as checked in the options), but the pro version simply
      does *not* do so.

      It's annoying as all get-out to me, frankly. I hate having to write
      up a list of the files I had open to work with. And I work with
      images in a graphics program that frequently will max out my ram and
      require a reboot...

      Any suggestions?

      And *why* would the free version work better than the paid version?
      (Yep, I realize there's a lot more going on with pro, but still...)

      ~~KevinR
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
        Kevin,

        At 06:08 AM 1/9/2004 +0000, you wrote:

        >Hello! I'm a newbie to the list (recommended to me by a friend).

        Welcome to the user's list which is of the users, by the users, and for the users.

        >I've got both NT pro and NT light. I find it rather *annoying* that
        >my light version seems to be less problematic (buggy?) than the light
        >version...

        It isn't when things are right.

        >I'm in the habit of opening various files and leaving them open.
        >After a reboot, my light version will still have those files open.
        >But the pro will not.

        It sure will :-)

        >I've tried changing the options repeatedly to no avail.
        >
        >I also like to default my NT to the systray. The light version holds
        >this default (as checked in the options), but the pro version simply
        >does *not* do so.

        Yeah it does :-)

        >It's annoying as all get-out to me, frankly. I hate having to write
        >up a list of the files I had open to work with. And I work with
        >images in a graphics program that frequently will max out my ram and
        >require a reboot...
        >
        >Any suggestions?

        Yup, 2 and one of them should fix you up.

        First from what you have described, I would guess that are running Win 98 and just might have backed up NoteTab Pro on a CD and recopied it back to your hard drive in which case the NotePro.ini file is write protected and NoteTab Pro is unable to update it with your option changes.

        Whether that was the case or not, that is still the most probable problem.

        You can either change the read only attribute on the C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini file or simply delete it and let NoteTab Pro create a new one which it will be able to update.

        The second is that you might be running 2K or XP and not have administrative rights in which case you will not be able to make changes to files in the C:\Program Files directory. If that is the case, either change your user permissions or simply copy the entire C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro directory into the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data directory and run NoteTab Pro from there.

        >And *why* would the free version work better than the paid version?
        >(Yep, I realize there's a lot more going on with pro, but still...)

        It doesn't work better, it works different because it uses a different internal "engine".

        Regards,

        Jim
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
          Hi KevinR,

          >Hello! I'm a newbie to the list (recommended to me by a friend).

          Smart friend and welcome! :)

          >I've got both NT pro and NT light. I find it rather *annoying*
          >that my light version seems to be less problematic (buggy?) than
          >the light version...

          Light vs. Light <bg>

          >I'm in the habit of opening various files and leaving them open.
          >After a reboot, my light version will still have those files open.
          >But the pro will not.
          >
          >I've tried changing the options repeatedly to no avail.
          >
          >I also like to default my NT to the systray. The light version
          >holds this default (as checked in the options), but the pro
          >version simply does *not* do so.

          Check to see if your NotePro.ini got marked Read-only somehow. If
          you are not the system administrator or do not have the rights
          setup correctly to give NoteTab the write capability, fix that.
          An alternative is to use the Advanced feature to store settings
          in the registry. (I figure you know the options, but for others
          they are: General | Reload Open Documents and View | Icon in
          System Tray, and optionally General | Close to System Tray.

          If that does not fix you up, try the following...

          I'd first try opening NoteTab's INI file found in its main folder
          (NoteTab.ini for Std/Light). Retype over a letter so that it
          creates a state of needing to be saved. Simply save the file with
          an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini) in front of it
          and restart NoteTab. Restart NoteTab.

          If that does not work, try a new INI file by renaming the current
          so you can save your settings by going back to the original if it
          doesn't help. If you want to create a new INI file, close NoteTab
          and rename NotePro.ini found in its main folder (NoteTab.ini for
          Std/Light). Start up NoteTab and it will use its default settings
          actually creating the INI file when you shut it down.

          If that fixes it, try going through the same procedure, but
          rename your original INI file back to its original name. If it
          looks OK then, all is well. If not you will need to build the new
          INI file again and redo all your settings. You might be able to
          get away with copying all the text in the old INI file and
          pasting it into the new INI file. Simply save the file with an
          exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini) in front of it
          and restart NoteTab.

          Happy Tab'n,
          Jody Adair

          NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
          http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
        • Christine
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 9, 2004
            Kevin,
            This doesn't address NT's issue, but I think I have a thought for you with
            your RAM usage.

            Do a search on Tweaks for your OS. There are .vbs sripts that let you click
            on them to release RAM without having to reboot. I have one set for my RAM
            amount and it works well.

            Here's the page: http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/harddrive/2.shtml

            Perhaps this will help?
            Christine

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
              First off, thanks to everyone who answered me first time 'round. It's
              much appreciated.

              However, to clarify this time (~Big Smile~) I'm using Windows 98 SE
              (happily, by the by) and have full control over all aspects of my
              computer... (And a fair handle on how to use it, I guess.)

              I tried what was suggested--both renaming and totally removing
              the .ini file from my NoteTab Pro folder.

              That worked fine through *one* reboot (shut off at night and booting
              next morning) as I recall...

              Hasn't worked probably 9 times out of 10, though.

              In other words, I've done that over and over (and over again (the
              renaming) to try and get it to 'stick.'

              I have to say that it's very frustrating, as I often work with 20 to
              30 open files that I'd like to 'find' next go 'round... (Lordy, I
              even thought about starting to keep a handwritten list. But I'd
              forget every single time...)

              I'm going to have to figure some way to recall where things are. I
              have subfolder upon subfolder I work with and files from literally
              dozens, so I can't say how confusing and annoying it is not to be
              able to have the essential files open when I need 'em.

              I'm strongly considering reverting to using the free version--and
              then pull things over to Pro when I really need the features (which
              have certainly paled for me during all this frustration). At least I
              never have these problems with that version of the software. (It
              still makes me chuckle that the free version has less bugs than the
              pro version... ~Big Smile~)

              Any other suggestions? Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall? Could
              there be some other reason I'm having such a *bad* time with the
              software?

              Or maybe somebody can suggest a similar software I could try in place
              of NoteTab Pro? (I think I'm getting a tad desperate now. LOL. Can't
              believe I'd ever think of giving up on NoteTab, but this has me
              pulling my hair out...)

              Anyway, the defaulting to the systray cleared up, although the
              software *never* opens first time 'round. (I don't ever double-click
              the icon anymore, as that *never* seemed to open it properly--in case
              anybody here cares. I'd always right-click and select Open, as that
              worked better. But now that *never* works the first time I try it. It
              takes twice every time to open it... A sure sign my Open files will
              be gone, by the by...)

              Thanks again for all the help. It's appreciated.

              ~~KevinR
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                KevinR wrote:

                > First off, thanks to everyone who answered me first time 'round. It's
                > much appreciated.
                >
                > However, to clarify this time (~Big Smile~) I'm using Windows 98 SE
                > (happily, by the by) and have full control over all aspects of my
                > computer... (And a fair handle on how to use it, I guess.)
                >
                > I have to say that it's very frustrating, as I often work with 20 to
                > 30 open files that I'd like to 'find' next go 'round...
                >
                > I'm strongly considering reverting to using the free version--and
                > then pull things over to Pro when I really need the features (which
                > have certainly paled for me during all this frustration).
                >
                > Any other suggestions? Maybe I should uninstall and reinstall? Could
                > there be some other reason I'm having such a *bad* time with the
                > software?
                >
                > Or maybe somebody can suggest a similar software I could try in place
                > of NoteTab Pro? (I think I'm getting a tad desperate now. LOL. Can't
                > believe I'd ever think of giving up on NoteTab, but this has me
                > pulling my hair out...)
                >
                > Thanks again for all the help. It's appreciated.
                >
                > ~~KevinR

                KevinR,

                I've followed this string but not too closely. I wonder if I could
                suggest that you list, to the best of your knowledge, the individual
                things you've tried to get NTPro to work as it should.

                To have the continual trouble you're having is extremely unusual. Pro
                is one of the most stable pieces of software on my computer. If we
                could view a compiled list we might see additional items to check and
                verify. Sorry you're having trouble.

                hrs
              • Larry Thomas
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                  Hi Kevin,

                  At 06:22 PM 1/15/04 -0000, you wrote:

                  >First off, thanks to everyone who answered me first time 'round. It's
                  >much appreciated.
                  >
                  >However, to clarify this time (~Big Smile~) I'm using Windows 98 SE
                  >(happily, by the by) and have full control over all aspects of my
                  >computer... (And a fair handle on how to use it, I guess.)
                  >
                  >I tried what was suggested--both renaming and totally removing
                  >the .ini file from my NoteTab Pro folder.
                  >
                  >That worked fine through *one* reboot (shut off at night and booting
                  >next morning) as I recall...
                  >
                  >Hasn't worked probably 9 times out of 10, though.

                  I have looked at Jim and Jody's reply to your previous post and it seems
                  fairly simple enough but I will suggest one more thing. Go to the menu bar
                  and select View/Options and then go to the General tab. You should have
                  "Reload Open Documents" checked. You should NOT have "Allow Multiple
                  Instances" checked. If you do allow multiple instances then it is possible
                  for the last instance to write to the ini and that will cause it to be the
                  new default. That is, if you open NoteTab once with your favorite files
                  open and then open a second instance with other files you are editing, you
                  can lose your settings to the second instance if you close it last. Each
                  instance of NoteTab writes to the ini file with its cirrent settings when
                  it is terminated and if you have more than one open, then you have to be
                  careful to leave the one open that has the settings you want until all of
                  the other instances are closed or it will be replaced by the settings of
                  the last one you close. I hope that is not too confusing to you.

                  Otherwise, I cannot think of anything that Jim or Jody has not told you to do.

                  By the way, there are two settings on the general tab that are opposed to
                  each other. If you check one then the other will be unchecked.

                  "Reload Open Documents" or "Load Favorites on Startup" - you can only have
                  one checked at one time. If you check one the other will become unchecked.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  lrt@... e¿ê
                • Kevin Royal
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                    Thanks, Larry...

                    Actually, I already 'reasoned out' that multiple instance thing
                    and have made sure it's OFF. (Good for others here to note,
                    though!)

                    Yep, I also realize that the open and favorites are a one-only
                    choice, too...

                    Darn it. This is a big pain. LOL.

                    Everybody has lovely ideas for me to try, but unfortunately I'm
                    still muddled (and currently trying to work with *both* versions
                    of NoteTab open at once... ROFL).

                    I appreciate the thoughts, though, Larry.

                    ~~KevinR

                  • Charles M. Raine
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                      Hi Kevin:

                      On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:09:55 -0800 (PST), Kevin Royal wrote:
                      >Everybody has lovely ideas for me to try, but unfortunately I'm
                      >still muddled (and currently trying to work with *both* versions of
                      >NoteTab open at once... ROFL).

                      I think I may have figured out what you problems are...

                      1. You are running short of MEMORY (RAM).
                      2. Running both versions of NoteTab only increases that possibility. You
                      also mentioned using a graphic program which you said will max out your
                      ram, and cause a reboot.
                      3. If you Reboot without closing NoteTab it will not have saved the
                      information related to your open files!

                      I just bought another 512 MB of ram and it works wonders!

                      Charlie R.
                    • Larry Thomas
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                        Hi Charles and Kevin,

                        At 08:20 PM 1/15/04 -0600, you wrote:
                        >Hi Kevin:
                        >
                        >On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:09:55 -0800 (PST), Kevin Royal wrote:
                        >>Everybody has lovely ideas for me to try, but unfortunately I'm
                        >>still muddled (and currently trying to work with *both* versions of
                        >>NoteTab open at once... ROFL).
                        >>

                        >I think I may have figured out what you problems are...
                        >
                        >1. You are running short of MEMORY (RAM).
                        >2. Running both versions of NoteTab only increases that possibility. You
                        >also mentioned using a graphic program which you said will max out your
                        >ram, and cause a reboot.
                        >3. If you Reboot without closing NoteTab it will not have saved the
                        >information related to your open files!
                        >
                        >I just bought another 512 MB of ram and it works wonders!
                        >
                        >Charlie R.

                        WARNING!! Kevin says he is using Windows 98 the same as I am. Windows 98
                        will not use any RAM above 128 Megabytes. I have Windows XP on another
                        Drive in a Drive tray and one of these days, I will install it into my
                        computer and move all of my programs over to it but until then I can only
                        us 128 Megs of the one Gigabyte of RAM that I have now. It causes my ATI
                        All-In-Wonder to freeze up my system if I try to use the video recording
                        features built into the card. So he can upgrade to 128 Megs if he does not
                        already have that much RAM but he should not add more unless he is also
                        going to a higher version of Windows that will support the extra RAM.

                        Regards,

                        Larry
                        lrt@... e¿ê
                      • Alec Burgess
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                          Kevin:

                          > However, to clarify this time (~Big Smile~) I'm using Windows 98 SE
                          > (happily, by the by) and have full control over all aspects of my
                          > computer... (And a fair handle on how to use it, I guess.)

                          Charles' idea about memory being the problem is valid, but in Win9x my
                          experience was always that running out of resources became an issue long
                          before memory (RAM) caused problems.

                          Just to make sure either or both is not was causing your problems - can you
                          confirm that you have Resource Meter (from the Win98 distro) and/or one of
                          TClockEx, ProcessMonitor, TaskInfo2003 (all freeware or light nags - just
                          Google) running to show whether it is a shortage of Resources causing your
                          problem?

                          It would be worth retrying what ever causes your failure symptoms under a
                          *very* light load. ie - close all other apps and make sure nothing not
                          required is being invoked at startup and see if you get the same or
                          different problems.

                          Addressing two of your specific problems:

                          > I'm going to have to figure some way to recall where things are. I
                          > have subfolder upon subfolder I work with and files from literally
                          > dozens, so I can't say how confusing and annoying it is not to be
                          > able to have the essential files open when I need 'em.

                          As a workaround until the main problem gets solved - could you build a
                          Favorites list that includes all the files you want to be able to access and
                          use QuickList to select from for the file/files you want to work on?

                          SysTray icon for Notetab: When I was using Win98 I always had problems
                          getting this feature to work consistently too - others have reported similar
                          problems. Usually clicking the option off/on (OK'ing between each in
                          Options) seems to help but long term I found it more useful to just leave
                          Notetab on the taskbar.

                          This also allows you (if you want to open a file from Windows Explorer) to
                          drag the file(s) on to the TaskBar-Notetab button - wait a second or two -
                          Notetab window gets restored - drop it/them into Notetab. Note: I didn't
                          discover this till after switching to Win2K so I'm not posiitive it will
                          work in Win9x

                          Long term: Get Win2K or WinXP - the time you save in not having to reboot
                          never mind the other advantages will be so gooood :-)

                          Regards ... Alec

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 15, 2004
                                    On 15 Jan 2004 at 18:22, KevinR wrote:

                                    > Anyway, the defaulting to the systray cleared up, although the
                                    > software *never* opens first time 'round. (I don't ever double-click
                                    > the icon anymore, as that *never* seemed to open it properly--in case
                                    > anybody here cares. I'd always right-click and select Open, as that
                                    > worked better. But now that *never* works the first time I try it. It
                                    > takes twice every time to open it... A sure sign my Open files will
                                    > be gone, by the by...)

                                    You are really starting me to think that you are experiencing hard disk
                                    errors through fragmentation of actual physical errors. When was the last
                                    time you did a scandisk and a defrag? It sounds like NT is trying to write
                                    to the disk, but something isn't allowing it to do so consistently. Why
                                    this is happenning to NTP and not the lite version may have more to do with
                                    where on the disk the program files are being written to. Try the scandisk
                                    and defrag first, then see if NTP starts saving your settings properly.

                                    --
                                    Robert

                                    Thought for the day: If man does his best what else is there? George S.
                                    Patton