The NoteTab Basic List (was Re: [NTB] Re: Selecting thousands of lines to delete?)

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
      Hi Chuck, ClarlieMC, and Others,

      OK, here is the long of it... ;)

      I'm sorry if you feel like you are being picked on, because to be
      honest with you, I did not take the time too look through it all,
      especially names of people posting. I say that just to point out
      I had no idea you were "canned" once before. It may even have
      been me. I did notice the other thread on the Clips list after
      posting and thought they were awfully familiar - I saw them both
      going, thinking they were the same thread. I actually "paniced" a
      bit when I saw the [NTB] prefix. Some of us receive literally
      100s of eMails daily and at times we answer quickly, sometimes
      perhaps not directly on target, but please don't take it
      personally. Don't be afraid to post anything. You *will be*
      politely replied to even if it is to say, please post over on the
      ... list. There are no dumb questions here!!!

      Please trust us on this one guys/gals. We are certainly not out
      to pick on anybody, to make anybody look foolish, to put anybody
      down, etc. We've been at this thing for over five years (and
      longer) on a number of lists and we know what works and what does
      not. Some of the nice folk that reply have a few threads running
      on these lists at the same time and Lord only knows how many
      others that they spend their time on for you all.

      Mistakes are going to made, some people will get their feelings
      hurt, but I assure you, none of it is meant intentionally. If I
      do find that things start getting heated they come to an abrupt
      halt! Those of us that do most the posting try very hard to keep
      the threads (a group of messages on the same topic) going on the
      correct lists and on topic. It is a must, nay imperative, for
      lists this size to be run like that else there is chaos. We've
      been there, done done that!!!

      Please,,, keep this list very, very, very... basic.

      To answer your question though, this list is strictly for the
      very basic use of NoteTab, one might even say leaning towards new
      computer users that "don't have a clue" so to speak. ;) We've all
      been there, and yes, we all did not have a clue at one point or
      another. I oftentimes post this which I think sums it up:

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do not
      post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
      Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips
      or Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
      Topic discussion takes place on that list. In short, please leave
      the Basic list for the very basic use of NoteTab. Thanks!!!

      ---

      I consider RegExp to be more on the difficult side and not used
      for the "basic" use of NoteTab. It's a beginners list you could
      say. I'd say in practically all cases if not all, if you know
      RegExp, you are probably on the wrong list. :-)

      Questions on this list would be more like:

      How do a I save a file by another name?

      How do I open more than one file at a time?

      I can click on some files in Windows Explorer and they
      open in certain programs. Can I do that with NoteTab?

      What is the window thingie on the left side used for?

      I opened a window on the right side. How do I close it?

      What does the Quick List do?

      I want to learn HTML; can you direct me to the correct list please?

      What is the Paste Board; how does it work?

      What do you do in Options under the thingie that says Associations?

      How do I make the links in NoteTab in a file so that when I click
      on them they open in a browser?

      What is a Clip?

      How do I get started writing Clips?

      What is a Library?

      What is the Clipbar?

      How do I put a thingie on the Clipbar?

      How do I add my own icons on the Clipbar?

      I don't understand what Help means when it says...

      I use to be able to move my tabs, but I can't now, help?

      My tabs disappear out on the right. How do I see them all?

      What does the bar thingie on the bottom with the buttons do?

      Is there more than one Clipbar?

      OK, 'nuff said? :)

      >> Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on
      >> the Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take
      >> it over to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.
      >
      >I wouldn't usually be critical of a long time helpful person such
      >as yourself, Jody, but just to defend my own integrity; I already
      >*did* move the question to the clips list. The discussion here
      >is no longer (and never was) about clips┬╣. Have you seen the
      >discussion in the clips group?

      Happy Tab'n,
      Jody Adair

      NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
      http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
    • Jim Eoff
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
        Jody wrote on Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:52:15 -0600:
        > Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
        > Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
        > to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

        My two cents: I'm glad to have seen these type posts; they have given
        me an idea of what you can do with clips (and outlines recently too),
        and I hope to make some time to learn more.

        -Jim
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
          Hi Jim,

          I understand, but that is not the point. :) The Basic list has
          its "rules" for what type of discussion goes on it and they are
          there for very good reasons; tried, tested, and proved... :)
          Thanks for everybody trying to follow them. It helps us all out
          perhaps a lot more than you can imagine. I know some of you can
          remember the messes we got in in the early days. We'll never be
          able to please everybody, but the way things are setup pleases
          the majority and that is what I shoot for on the lists.

          > Jody wrote on Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:52:15 -0600:
          >> Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on
          >> the Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take
          >> it over to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.
          >
          >My two cents: I'm glad to have seen these type posts; they have
          >given me an idea of what you can do with clips (and outlines
          >recently too), and I hope to make some time to learn more.

          Take care,

          and even thou doest err some!
          http://clean-funnies.com
          http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us