Re: [NTB] Re: Selecting thousands of lines to delete?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
      Hi Chuck,

      Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
      Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
      to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do not
      post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
      Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips
      or Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
      Topic discussion takes place on that list. In short, please leave
      the Basic list for the very basic use of NoteTab. Thanks!!!

      >This version locks up Note Tab Pro and I have to kill it with
      >Windows Task Manager.
      >
      >Don't get me wrong. This is how I'd prefer to do this (as
      >opposed to using a clip), but those are my results.

      Yes, but Clips are soooooo much faster than RegExp or Perl. :)
      Looks a whole lot prettier than it to IMO. I understand that
      everybody has their preferences though, and as you can see, mine
      is Clips - anytime. <g> I do use RegExp at times though.

      Happy Clip'n!

    • Chuck Anderson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
        > Hi Chuck,
        >
        > Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
        > Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
        > to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

        I wouldn't usually be critical of a long time helpful person such as
        yourself, Jody, but just to defend my own integrity; I already *did*
        move the question to the clips list. The discussion here is no longer
        (and never was) about clips¹. Have you seen the discussion in the
        clips group?

        ¹ All I ever said, at the very end of my second post, was - "I'm
        probably getting into "clipsville" now." At which point Larry Thomas
        "canned" me (which is why I actually made my clipsville quip - I
        guessed as much) and I moved the discussion. The subsequent followups
        in here are *not* about clips - as you seem to have recognized. And
        now you have "canned" me a second time. Should reg exp questions be
        discussed only in the clips group? Is that your point? You're
        certainly confusing me, ... and making me (and Pete and Alec) look
        foolish. Can you explain? Maybe I should just stay away.

        Chuck Anderson
        http://cycletourist.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
          Hi Chuck, ClarlieMC, and Others,

          OK, here is the long of it... ;)

          I'm sorry if you feel like you are being picked on, because to be
          honest with you, I did not take the time too look through it all,
          especially names of people posting. I say that just to point out
          I had no idea you were "canned" once before. It may even have
          been me. I did notice the other thread on the Clips list after
          posting and thought they were awfully familiar - I saw them both
          going, thinking they were the same thread. I actually "paniced" a
          bit when I saw the [NTB] prefix. Some of us receive literally
          100s of eMails daily and at times we answer quickly, sometimes
          perhaps not directly on target, but please don't take it
          personally. Don't be afraid to post anything. You *will be*
          politely replied to even if it is to say, please post over on the
          ... list. There are no dumb questions here!!!

          Please trust us on this one guys/gals. We are certainly not out
          to pick on anybody, to make anybody look foolish, to put anybody
          down, etc. We've been at this thing for over five years (and
          longer) on a number of lists and we know what works and what does
          not. Some of the nice folk that reply have a few threads running
          on these lists at the same time and Lord only knows how many
          others that they spend their time on for you all.

          Mistakes are going to made, some people will get their feelings
          hurt, but I assure you, none of it is meant intentionally. If I
          do find that things start getting heated they come to an abrupt
          halt! Those of us that do most the posting try very hard to keep
          the threads (a group of messages on the same topic) going on the
          correct lists and on topic. It is a must, nay imperative, for
          lists this size to be run like that else there is chaos. We've
          been there, done done that!!!

          Please,,, keep this list very, very, very... basic.

          To answer your question though, this list is strictly for the
          very basic use of NoteTab, one might even say leaning towards new
          computer users that "don't have a clue" so to speak. ;) We've all
          been there, and yes, we all did not have a clue at one point or
          another. I oftentimes post this which I think sums it up:

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do not
          post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
          Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips
          or Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
          Topic discussion takes place on that list. In short, please leave
          the Basic list for the very basic use of NoteTab. Thanks!!!

          ---

          I consider RegExp to be more on the difficult side and not used
          for the "basic" use of NoteTab. It's a beginners list you could
          say. I'd say in practically all cases if not all, if you know
          RegExp, you are probably on the wrong list. :-)

          Questions on this list would be more like:

          How do a I save a file by another name?

          How do I open more than one file at a time?

          I can click on some files in Windows Explorer and they
          open in certain programs. Can I do that with NoteTab?

          What is the window thingie on the left side used for?

          I opened a window on the right side. How do I close it?

          What does the Quick List do?

          I want to learn HTML; can you direct me to the correct list please?

          What is the Paste Board; how does it work?

          What do you do in Options under the thingie that says Associations?

          How do I make the links in NoteTab in a file so that when I click
          on them they open in a browser?

          What is a Clip?

          How do I get started writing Clips?

          What is a Library?

          What is the Clipbar?

          How do I put a thingie on the Clipbar?

          How do I add my own icons on the Clipbar?

          I don't understand what Help means when it says...

          I use to be able to move my tabs, but I can't now, help?

          My tabs disappear out on the right. How do I see them all?

          What does the bar thingie on the bottom with the buttons do?

          Is there more than one Clipbar?

          OK, 'nuff said? :)

          >> Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on
          >> the Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take
          >> it over to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.
          >
          >I wouldn't usually be critical of a long time helpful person such
          >as yourself, Jody, but just to defend my own integrity; I already
          >*did* move the question to the clips list. The discussion here
          >is no longer (and never was) about clips¹. Have you seen the
          >discussion in the clips group?

          Happy Tab'n,
          Jody Adair

          NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
          http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
        • Jim Eoff
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
            Jody wrote on Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:52:15 -0600:
            > Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
            > Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
            > to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

            My two cents: I'm glad to have seen these type posts; they have given
            me an idea of what you can do with clips (and outlines recently too),
            and I hope to make some time to learn more.

            -Jim
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
              Hi Jim,

              I understand, but that is not the point. :) The Basic list has
              its "rules" for what type of discussion goes on it and they are
              there for very good reasons; tried, tested, and proved... :)
              Thanks for everybody trying to follow them. It helps us all out
              perhaps a lot more than you can imagine. I know some of you can
              remember the messes we got in in the early days. We'll never be
              able to please everybody, but the way things are setup pleases
              the majority and that is what I shoot for on the lists.

              > Jody wrote on Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:52:15 -0600:
              >> Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on
              >> the Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take
              >> it over to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.
              >
              >My two cents: I'm glad to have seen these type posts; they have
              >given me an idea of what you can do with clips (and outlines
              >recently too), and I hope to make some time to learn more.

              Take care,

              and even thou doest err some!
              http://clean-funnies.com
              http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us