[NTB] Re: Selecting thousands of lines to delete?

  • Chuck Anderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
      > Peter:

      These are the sort of solutions I like best.

      > Funny ....
      >
      > > (.*\n)*The Target Text
      > seems to work as you describe but I would have expected it to fail
      unless
      > "The Target Text" was at the beginning of the line.

      This version skips over several occurences of Target Text (at the
      beginning of the line in each case) until the last one in the file.

      (.*\n)*------=_NextPart_000

      > This:
      > (.*\n)*.*The Target Text
      > works too and is what I expected to be neccessary.

      This version locks up Note Tab Pro and I have to kill it with Windows
      Task Manager.

      > Maybe if I get some time I'll play around with testing it with pairs
      of {
      > + } and \1,\2 etc in Replace dialog to see how the matching is
      actually
      > being done
      >
      > Regards ... Alec

      Don't get me wrong. This is how I'd prefer to do this (as opposed to
      using a clip), but those are my results.

      Here is a sample file of exactly what I'm working on with thousands of
      lines of jpeg binary data removed to keep it smaller.

      http://cycletourist.com/temp/InboxExample
      http://cycletourist.com/temp/InboxExampleReadme.txt
      (Readme explains the Inbox file and what I am trying to do.)

      Chuck
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
        Hi Chuck,

        Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
        Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
        to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do not
        post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
        Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips
        or Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
        Topic discussion takes place on that list. In short, please leave
        the Basic list for the very basic use of NoteTab. Thanks!!!

        >This version locks up Note Tab Pro and I have to kill it with
        >Windows Task Manager.
        >
        >Don't get me wrong. This is how I'd prefer to do this (as
        >opposed to using a clip), but those are my results.

        Yes, but Clips are soooooo much faster than RegExp or Perl. :)
        Looks a whole lot prettier than it to IMO. I understand that
        everybody has their preferences though, and as you can see, mine
        is Clips - anytime. <g> I do use RegExp at times though.

        Happy Clip'n!

      • Chuck Anderson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
          > Hi Chuck,
          >
          > Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
          > Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
          > to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

          I wouldn't usually be critical of a long time helpful person such as
          yourself, Jody, but just to defend my own integrity; I already *did*
          move the question to the clips list. The discussion here is no longer
          (and never was) about clips¹. Have you seen the discussion in the
          clips group?

          ¹ All I ever said, at the very end of my second post, was - "I'm
          probably getting into "clipsville" now." At which point Larry Thomas
          "canned" me (which is why I actually made my clipsville quip - I
          guessed as much) and I moved the discussion. The subsequent followups
          in here are *not* about clips - as you seem to have recognized. And
          now you have "canned" me a second time. Should reg exp questions be
          discussed only in the clips group? Is that your point? You're
          certainly confusing me, ... and making me (and Pete and Alec) look
          foolish. Can you explain? Maybe I should just stay away.

          Chuck Anderson
          http://cycletourist.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
            Hi Chuck, ClarlieMC, and Others,

            OK, here is the long of it... ;)

            I'm sorry if you feel like you are being picked on, because to be
            honest with you, I did not take the time too look through it all,
            especially names of people posting. I say that just to point out
            I had no idea you were "canned" once before. It may even have
            been me. I did notice the other thread on the Clips list after
            posting and thought they were awfully familiar - I saw them both
            going, thinking they were the same thread. I actually "paniced" a
            bit when I saw the [NTB] prefix. Some of us receive literally
            100s of eMails daily and at times we answer quickly, sometimes
            perhaps not directly on target, but please don't take it
            personally. Don't be afraid to post anything. You *will be*
            politely replied to even if it is to say, please post over on the
            ... list. There are no dumb questions here!!!

            Please trust us on this one guys/gals. We are certainly not out
            to pick on anybody, to make anybody look foolish, to put anybody
            down, etc. We've been at this thing for over five years (and
            longer) on a number of lists and we know what works and what does
            not. Some of the nice folk that reply have a few threads running
            on these lists at the same time and Lord only knows how many
            others that they spend their time on for you all.

            Mistakes are going to made, some people will get their feelings
            hurt, but I assure you, none of it is meant intentionally. If I
            do find that things start getting heated they come to an abrupt
            halt! Those of us that do most the posting try very hard to keep
            the threads (a group of messages on the same topic) going on the
            correct lists and on topic. It is a must, nay imperative, for
            lists this size to be run like that else there is chaos. We've
            been there, done done that!!!

            Please,,, keep this list very, very, very... basic.

            To answer your question though, this list is strictly for the
            very basic use of NoteTab, one might even say leaning towards new
            computer users that "don't have a clue" so to speak. ;) We've all
            been there, and yes, we all did not have a clue at one point or
            another. I oftentimes post this which I think sums it up:

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do not
            post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
            Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips
            or Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
            Topic discussion takes place on that list. In short, please leave
            the Basic list for the very basic use of NoteTab. Thanks!!!

            ---

            I consider RegExp to be more on the difficult side and not used
            for the "basic" use of NoteTab. It's a beginners list you could
            say. I'd say in practically all cases if not all, if you know
            RegExp, you are probably on the wrong list. :-)

            Questions on this list would be more like:

            How do a I save a file by another name?

            How do I open more than one file at a time?

            I can click on some files in Windows Explorer and they
            open in certain programs. Can I do that with NoteTab?

            What is the window thingie on the left side used for?

            I opened a window on the right side. How do I close it?

            What does the Quick List do?

            I want to learn HTML; can you direct me to the correct list please?

            What is the Paste Board; how does it work?

            What do you do in Options under the thingie that says Associations?

            How do I make the links in NoteTab in a file so that when I click
            on them they open in a browser?

            What is a Clip?

            How do I get started writing Clips?

            What is a Library?

            What is the Clipbar?

            How do I put a thingie on the Clipbar?

            How do I add my own icons on the Clipbar?

            I don't understand what Help means when it says...

            I use to be able to move my tabs, but I can't now, help?

            My tabs disappear out on the right. How do I see them all?

            What does the bar thingie on the bottom with the buttons do?

            Is there more than one Clipbar?

            OK, 'nuff said? :)

            >> Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on
            >> the Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take
            >> it over to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.
            >
            >I wouldn't usually be critical of a long time helpful person such
            >as yourself, Jody, but just to defend my own integrity; I already
            >*did* move the question to the clips list. The discussion here
            >is no longer (and never was) about clips¹. Have you seen the
            >discussion in the clips group?

            Happy Tab'n,
            Jody Adair

            NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
            http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
          • Jim Eoff
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
              Jody wrote on Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:52:15 -0600:
              > Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
              > Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
              > to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

              My two cents: I'm glad to have seen these type posts; they have given
              me an idea of what you can do with clips (and outlines recently too),
              and I hope to make some time to learn more.

              -Jim
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
                Hi Jim,

                I understand, but that is not the point. :) The Basic list has
                its "rules" for what type of discussion goes on it and they are
                there for very good reasons; tried, tested, and proved... :)
                Thanks for everybody trying to follow them. It helps us all out
                perhaps a lot more than you can imagine. I know some of you can
                remember the messes we got in in the early days. We'll never be
                able to please everybody, but the way things are setup pleases
                the majority and that is what I shoot for on the lists.

                > Jody wrote on Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:52:15 -0600:
                >> Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on
                >> the Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take
                >> it over to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.
                >
                >My two cents: I'm glad to have seen these type posts; they have
                >given me an idea of what you can do with clips (and outlines
                >recently too), and I hope to make some time to learn more.

                Take care,

                and even thou doest err some!
                http://clean-funnies.com
                http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us