Re: [NTB] Re: Selecting thousands of lines to delete?

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2003
      Hi Chuck,

      At 12:56 AM 12/31/03 -0000, you wrote:
      >Thanks, Larry. That works great. I can use that.
      >
      >But, I'm so used to editors that let you set a mark - navigate to
      >another place in the document - and then select everything between
      >there and the mark. I was hoping for something similar. It would be
      >a lot more efficient if I could search to find the next spot in the
      >file, or had some other automated of way of getting there. Goto Line
      >number, Goto Bookmark, and Find all seem to unselect the first selection.
      >
      >Here's an example of what I'm trying to do; deleting four image
      >attachments from one email message:
      >
      >There's a line at the beginning of each image attachment that says:
      >------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C3BE29.B3DF5380
      >[That's a randomly generated delimiter]
      >
      >Ideally, I would like to select the first line of the first image (as
      >you said) and then find:"------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C3BE29.B3DF5380."
      >That would take me to the beginning of the next image and I could
      >scroll up a couple of lines, shift-select, and then delete the first
      >image attachment (that way I can skip over the description fields that
      >appear at the beginning of each image to leave a text record of having
      >deleted the image in the email message text).
      >
      >Then I scroll down to the beginning of the next image (gobbledy-gook
      >binary characters - a jpeg file), select that line, repeat my find,
      >shift-select, and delete the second image (leaving the description
      >fields again).
      >
      >So, ... What I want to know is; is there another way to navigate
      >through the document besides scrolling without losing the initial
      >selection? (I'm probably getting into "clipsville" now.)
      >
      >Thanks,
      > Chuck

      To answer one of your questions, you can program NoteTab to do this and
      many many other things as well. This is a topic that is cover on our clips
      list which you can join. Here is a canned message which I add to my
      replies to new users:

      CANNED MESSAGE FROM MY HELPER FILE:
      ===================================
      Discussion of clips and how to write and use them is a subject reserved for
      the NoteTab Clips list and the NoteTab ClipsClass List. The basic list is
      for discussion of the basic features of NoteTab for new users. You can
      join the other lists by sending an empty post to:

      The NoteTab Clips List............ ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      The NoteTab ClipsClass List....... ntb-ClipClass-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Jody also has set up a web page on his site to subscribe to or unsubscribe
      from the lists at:

      If you want to reply with a clip to someone on the basic list and you do
      not know whether he is on the Clips list or not, you can post your message
      and clips to the Clips list and Cc: to the person you are replying to.

      This message is provided for informational purposes only and it is not a
      put down or rebuke of anyone. I am a listmember the same as you are and I
      sometimes forget which list I am posting to and accidentally post a clip to
      the basic list which Jody Adair has asked us not to do. Then I do one of
      two things. 1.) I freeze up and hope nobody notices that I screwed up.
      2.) I choke on my own spit while I type up an apology to the list for the
      mistake. This message is mainly for new listmembers who may see a clip
      posted to the list and think that it is ok but it is not ok. I have this
      message in a helper.otl file and I paste it into my replies occassionally
      to help Jody Adair out because I know how busy he is.

      Thank you.

      END OF CANNED MESSAGE FROM MY HELPER FILE:

      If you do join the clips list, I will try to help you with learning the
      clip language as best as I can.

      To answer another question, There is indeed a search and a search and
      replace feature which you can use directly and also through clips to look
      for a pattern in NoteTab and it does select the text it finds. It also has
      a regular expression search engine so that you can do some very
      sophisticated searches for poatterns in your files. I am not so good at
      this though but you will find others on the clips list that are reg expr
      wizards who will help you.

      The problem with going to various lines no matter what method you use, is
      that NoteTab will move the cursor to the new line and unselect the
      previously selected text if any. If you join the clips list, there are
      commands that will allow you to save the current cursor position into a
      variable after the first search and then after the second search there is a
      command that will allow NoteTab to select to the cursor position saved in
      the variable and automatically delete the lines you want deleted. NoteTab
      Lite and NoteTab Std use the Rich Text Edit control and is very slow when
      doing large complicated searches, so you should be aware of this. NoteTab
      Pro costs some money but you get a different Edit control and it is very
      very fast when doing such search and replace operations.

      I hope that this helps.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
        Peter:

        Funny ....

        > (.*\n)*The Target Text
        seems to work as you describe but I would have expected it to fail unless
        "The Target Text" was at the beginning of the line.

        This:
        (.*\n)*.*The Target Text
        works too and is what I expected to be neccessary.

        Maybe if I get some time I'll play around with testing it with pairs of {
        + } and \1,\2 etc in Replace dialog to see how the matching is actually
        being done

        Regards ... Alec

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
          > Peter:

          These are the sort of solutions I like best.

          > Funny ....
          >
          > > (.*\n)*The Target Text
          > seems to work as you describe but I would have expected it to fail
          unless
          > "The Target Text" was at the beginning of the line.

          This version skips over several occurences of Target Text (at the
          beginning of the line in each case) until the last one in the file.

          (.*\n)*------=_NextPart_000

          > This:
          > (.*\n)*.*The Target Text
          > works too and is what I expected to be neccessary.

          This version locks up Note Tab Pro and I have to kill it with Windows
          Task Manager.

          > Maybe if I get some time I'll play around with testing it with pairs
          of {
          > + } and \1,\2 etc in Replace dialog to see how the matching is
          actually
          > being done
          >
          > Regards ... Alec

          Don't get me wrong. This is how I'd prefer to do this (as opposed to
          using a clip), but those are my results.

          Here is a sample file of exactly what I'm working on with thousands of
          lines of jpeg binary data removed to keep it smaller.

          http://cycletourist.com/temp/InboxExample
          http://cycletourist.com/temp/InboxExampleReadme.txt
          (Readme explains the Inbox file and what I am trying to do.)

          Chuck
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2004
            Hi Chuck,

            Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
            Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
            to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do not
            post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
            Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips
            or Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
            Topic discussion takes place on that list. In short, please leave
            the Basic list for the very basic use of NoteTab. Thanks!!!

            >This version locks up Note Tab Pro and I have to kill it with
            >Windows Task Manager.
            >
            >Don't get me wrong. This is how I'd prefer to do this (as
            >opposed to using a clip), but those are my results.

            Yes, but Clips are soooooo much faster than RegExp or Perl. :)
            Looks a whole lot prettier than it to IMO. I understand that
            everybody has their preferences though, and as you can see, mine
            is Clips - anytime. <g> I do use RegExp at times though.

            Happy Clip'n!

          • Chuck Anderson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
              > Hi Chuck,
              >
              > Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
              > Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
              > to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

              I wouldn't usually be critical of a long time helpful person such as
              yourself, Jody, but just to defend my own integrity; I already *did*
              move the question to the clips list. The discussion here is no longer
              (and never was) about clips¹. Have you seen the discussion in the
              clips group?

              ¹ All I ever said, at the very end of my second post, was - "I'm
              probably getting into "clipsville" now." At which point Larry Thomas
              "canned" me (which is why I actually made my clipsville quip - I
              guessed as much) and I moved the discussion. The subsequent followups
              in here are *not* about clips - as you seem to have recognized. And
              now you have "canned" me a second time. Should reg exp questions be
              discussed only in the clips group? Is that your point? You're
              certainly confusing me, ... and making me (and Pete and Alec) look
              foolish. Can you explain? Maybe I should just stay away.

              Chuck Anderson
              http://cycletourist.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
                Hi Chuck, ClarlieMC, and Others,

                OK, here is the long of it... ;)

                I'm sorry if you feel like you are being picked on, because to be
                honest with you, I did not take the time too look through it all,
                especially names of people posting. I say that just to point out
                I had no idea you were "canned" once before. It may even have
                been me. I did notice the other thread on the Clips list after
                posting and thought they were awfully familiar - I saw them both
                going, thinking they were the same thread. I actually "paniced" a
                bit when I saw the [NTB] prefix. Some of us receive literally
                100s of eMails daily and at times we answer quickly, sometimes
                perhaps not directly on target, but please don't take it
                personally. Don't be afraid to post anything. You *will be*
                politely replied to even if it is to say, please post over on the
                ... list. There are no dumb questions here!!!

                Please trust us on this one guys/gals. We are certainly not out
                to pick on anybody, to make anybody look foolish, to put anybody
                down, etc. We've been at this thing for over five years (and
                longer) on a number of lists and we know what works and what does
                not. Some of the nice folk that reply have a few threads running
                on these lists at the same time and Lord only knows how many
                others that they spend their time on for you all.

                Mistakes are going to made, some people will get their feelings
                hurt, but I assure you, none of it is meant intentionally. If I
                do find that things start getting heated they come to an abrupt
                halt! Those of us that do most the posting try very hard to keep
                the threads (a group of messages on the same topic) going on the
                correct lists and on topic. It is a must, nay imperative, for
                lists this size to be run like that else there is chaos. We've
                been there, done done that!!!

                Please,,, keep this list very, very, very... basic.

                To answer your question though, this list is strictly for the
                very basic use of NoteTab, one might even say leaning towards new
                computer users that "don't have a clue" so to speak. ;) We've all
                been there, and yes, we all did not have a clue at one point or
                another. I oftentimes post this which I think sums it up:

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                If you sign up for any of the discussion lists, please do not
                post questions about Clips and other scripting languages on the
                Basic list. More difficult tasks should be posted on the Clips
                or Scripts lists. HTML should be posted on the HTML list and Off
                Topic discussion takes place on that list. In short, please leave
                the Basic list for the very basic use of NoteTab. Thanks!!!

                ---

                I consider RegExp to be more on the difficult side and not used
                for the "basic" use of NoteTab. It's a beginners list you could
                say. I'd say in practically all cases if not all, if you know
                RegExp, you are probably on the wrong list. :-)

                Questions on this list would be more like:

                How do a I save a file by another name?

                How do I open more than one file at a time?

                I can click on some files in Windows Explorer and they
                open in certain programs. Can I do that with NoteTab?

                What is the window thingie on the left side used for?

                I opened a window on the right side. How do I close it?

                What does the Quick List do?

                I want to learn HTML; can you direct me to the correct list please?

                What is the Paste Board; how does it work?

                What do you do in Options under the thingie that says Associations?

                How do I make the links in NoteTab in a file so that when I click
                on them they open in a browser?

                What is a Clip?

                How do I get started writing Clips?

                What is a Library?

                What is the Clipbar?

                How do I put a thingie on the Clipbar?

                How do I add my own icons on the Clipbar?

                I don't understand what Help means when it says...

                I use to be able to move my tabs, but I can't now, help?

                My tabs disappear out on the right. How do I see them all?

                What does the bar thingie on the bottom with the buttons do?

                Is there more than one Clipbar?

                OK, 'nuff said? :)

                >> Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on
                >> the Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take
                >> it over to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.
                >
                >I wouldn't usually be critical of a long time helpful person such
                >as yourself, Jody, but just to defend my own integrity; I already
                >*did* move the question to the clips list. The discussion here
                >is no longer (and never was) about clips¹. Have you seen the
                >discussion in the clips group?

                Happy Tab'n,
                Jody Adair

                NoteTabbers Assistant Page Clean-Funnies dot com
                http://www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
              • Jim Eoff
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2004
                  Jody wrote on Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:52:15 -0600:
                  > Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on the
                  > Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take it over
                  > to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.

                  My two cents: I'm glad to have seen these type posts; they have given
                  me an idea of what you can do with clips (and outlines recently too),
                  and I hope to make some time to learn more.

                  -Jim
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 2004
                    Hi Jim,

                    I understand, but that is not the point. :) The Basic list has
                    its "rules" for what type of discussion goes on it and they are
                    there for very good reasons; tried, tested, and proved... :)
                    Thanks for everybody trying to follow them. It helps us all out
                    perhaps a lot more than you can imagine. I know some of you can
                    remember the messes we got in in the early days. We'll never be
                    able to please everybody, but the way things are setup pleases
                    the majority and that is what I shoot for on the lists.

                    > Jody wrote on Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:52:15 -0600:
                    >> Wow, I just now noticed that this long techish thread was on
                    >> the Basic list. Sorry about that folks. Could you please take
                    >> it over to the Clips or Scripts list. Thanks much.
                    >
                    >My two cents: I'm glad to have seen these type posts; they have
                    >given me an idea of what you can do with clips (and outlines
                    >recently too), and I hope to make some time to learn more.

                    Take care,

                    and even thou doest err some!
                    http://clean-funnies.com
                    http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us