Document opening problem

  • Bill Onslow
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2003
      Hi List,

      Just downloaded and started using NoteTab (free) and ran into a
      problem immediately!

      I tried to open a Word8.doc into NoteTab but all I get is a mixed
      binary/text/binary document and a warning that the document (magzilla.doc)
      might be a binary document. Tried reading help files and just about
      everything else (for two hours or so)! Perhaps Word9 is not compatible with
      NoteTab? Just like to be sure!

      Many thanks,

      Bill
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2003
        Bill Onslow wrote:

        > Hi List,
        >
        > Just downloaded and started using NoteTab (free) and ran into a
        > problem immediately!
        >
        > I tried to open a Word8.doc into NoteTab but all I get is a mixed
        > binary/text/binary document and a warning that the document
        (magzilla.doc)
        > might be a binary document.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        >
        > Bill

        Bill,

        NoteTab is a text only editor, try reloading magzilla.doc into Word8,
        save as text only and open the resulting text file in NoteTab.

        hrs
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2003
          Word will nott open directly into NoteTab, but you can cut and paste the
          text to NoteTab.
          --

          ~~~
          Jeff Scism, IBSSG

          http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
          http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2003
            Back in the days of Professional Write for DOS, you could setup your tabs to
            allow you to move X amount of spaces on a line.

            Can NoteTab do this?

            Say for instance that I am going down to the tenth line of a document...For
            my first tab, I want to move it over one tab's length. For the second tab
            (on the same line) I want to move it over 2 tabs length, and for the 3rd
            time I hit tab on the same line, I want it to move over 5 tabs lengths.

            Is this possible?

            So instead of moving over 5-5-5-5-5 (for instance), I could move 5-10-20-5
            (for instance)

            Thanx!

            Brian
          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2003
              Hi Brian,

              At 03:14 PM 12/31/03 -0600, you wrote:
              >Back in the days of Professional Write for DOS, you could setup your tabs to
              >allow you to move X amount of spaces on a line.
              >
              >Can NoteTab do this?
              >
              >Say for instance that I am going down to the tenth line of a document...For
              >my first tab, I want to move it over one tab's length. For the second tab
              >(on the same line) I want to move it over 2 tabs length, and for the 3rd
              >time I hit tab on the same line, I want it to move over 5 tabs lengths.
              >
              >Is this possible?
              >
              >So instead of moving over 5-5-5-5-5 (for instance), I could move 5-10-20-5
              >(for instance)
              >
              >Thanx!
              >
              >Brian

              You can do this with NoteTab Light and NoteTab Std but not with NoteTab
              Pro. You go to the Documents tab on options with NoteTab Light/Std and set
              the tabs there. Here is what it says in the help file.

              HELP FILE INFORMATION:
              ======================

              Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in NoteTab Std by
              separating each value with a semi-colon (;). Values must be ordered in
              increasing sizes and represent the distance from the left margin.

              Tab Units (only available in NoteTab Light/Std): Defines units used for tab
              size

              END OF HELP FILE INFORMATION:
              =============================

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 31, 2003
                Unreal...Jody, what's up with that? Odd to see something you can't get with
                the best version available...

                >Back in the days of Professional Write for DOS, you could setup your tabs
                >allow you to move X amount of spaces on a line.
                >
                >Can NoteTab do this?
                >
                >Say for instance that I am going down to the tenth line of a document...For
                >my first tab, I want to move it over one tab's length. For the second tab
                >(on the same line) I want to move it over 2 tabs length, and for the 3rd
                >time I hit tab on the same line, I want it to move over 5 tabs lengths.
                >
                >Is this possible?
                >
                >So instead of moving over 5-5-5-5-5 (for instance), I could move 5-10-20-5
                >(for instance)
                >
                >Thanx!
                >
                >Brian

                You can do this with NoteTab Light and NoteTab Std but not with NoteTab
                Pro. You go to the Documents tab on options with NoteTab Light/Std and set
                the tabs there. Here is what it says in the help file.

                HELP FILE INFORMATION:
                ======================

                Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in NoteTab Std by
                separating each value with a semi-colon (;). Values must be ordered in
                increasing sizes and represent the distance from the left margin.

                Tab Units (only available in NoteTab Light/Std): Defines units used for tab
                size

                END OF HELP FILE INFORMATION:

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Larry Thomas
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 31, 2003
                  Hi Chuck,

                  At 04:53 PM 12/31/03 -0600, you wrote:
                  >Unreal...Jody, what's up with that? Odd to see something you can't get with
                  >the best version available...

                  It is not easy to program all things into every program. Eric, like just
                  about every programmer out there, creates his programs by assembling and
                  modifying components that he buys from other software providers. He wrote
                  Super NoteTab (Now NoteTab Light/Std) and use a component Edit Control
                  called Rich Text Edit Control which allows him to program in this feature.
                  When he wrote NoteTab Pro, he decided to use a different component which
                  provides extra features which you see in NoteTab Pro but not in Light/Std.
                  Among those features were an increase in search speed and faster operations
                  in other areas. This cost the user the tab feature you asked about and
                  also among other things, the ability to use variable width True Type fonts
                  was lost also.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  lrt@... e¿ê
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 31, 2003
                    Hi Brian (not Chuck !-p ),

                    You should go to NoteTab's menu bar and select Help/Help Topics and look at
                    the comparison chart under "General Information" on the contents tab. You
                    will see a chart with three columns - one for each of the NoteTab versions.
                    Just look at how many items a checked "No" under the Std and Light columns
                    compared to the "Yeses" under the Pro column and tell me that you would
                    rather have Std than Pro. I am greedy though and I have all three.

                    For what it is worth, the one thing that dragged me under the fence to buy
                    Pro was the "Smart Tab" feature which Std/Light does not have. Once I
                    tried that out I just had to have the program. NoteTab Pro is advertised
                    as a replacement for MicroSoft's Notepad but I never used Notepad for
                    anything. I had several small ascii text files with personal data in them
                    (address book, birthdays, etc) and I was using the old DOS 6.22 Edit.com
                    program because it had what Eric now calls "Fixed Tabs" and "Auto-Indent"
                    using spaces instead of tab characters. I was playing around with Super
                    NoteTab and just wishing and wishing that it would do tabs the same as
                    Edit.com. When I discovered NoteTab Pro 4.0 in beta testing and found out
                    about Fixed and Smart tabs, I could not wait to get my hands on a
                    registered copy. I really cannot remember the last time I ran MS Edit.com.

                    I just did a quick check and I still have it under:

                    C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EDIT.COM

                    I tried it and it still works after several years of not using it. I guess
                    that I keep it just in case I have a system crash and need to run an editor
                    under DOS from a floppy. ie - I get into a situation where I cannot get
                    Windows started temporarily and need an editor but cannot use NoteTab
                    because I don't have Windows. Then I can fall back on a couple of my old
                    DOS programs. Good greif! I don't even want to think of having to do that.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    lrt@... e¿ê