Re: [NTB] My Least favorite activity in NoteTab

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
      Hi Jeff,

      At 06:36 AM 12/5/03 -0800, you wrote:
      >I really ENJOY using the program. However there is ONE or TWO things
      >that really bug me.
      >

      >The First one is when doing a replace all in a lot of open documents
      >the REPLACE window stays on top, even while switching to other open
      >programs. The other option is to doing it as a replace on drive, but
      >that isn't always what I want to do, if I want the changes in only
      >select files. I know this is a RESOURCE issue as well because the
      >Program is using a lot of resources while doing a major swap (sometimes
      >I have to wait for the swaps to finish before the other program windows
      >will maximize) I have 386 MB of RAM, and a Pentium 400, so the swaps
      >should go pretty fast.
      >
      >The other thing is while doing this operation I have no idea if the
      >computer is locked up, or still actually processing the files. There
      >have been a number of times that the computer seems to be locked up,
      >and I can Ctrl-Alt-delete to get OUT before the process finishes and
      >LOSE the work in progress, If I had something to indicate PROGRESS of
      >the process it would relieve my mind. Perhaps if the process displayed
      >the file names the way the disc replace method does on the title bar of
      >the replace box?

      You just need to learn the language a little better and place the options
      that you want into your clips. I will not discuss clips here except in
      general terms but there are a number of commands that will allow you to
      open a message window in the middle of the window that you can use to
      provide yourself an indication at various places in the program with
      information on what is happening at that time. You can also place messages
      into the status bar at the bottom of the window with these messages.
      NoteTab normally lists each line of code in the status bar when it is
      executed but most of the time it is being run so fact that you cannot see
      anything but a blur of lines of text appearing and then being replaced by
      another line of text. Watch the status line when you run a rapidly looping
      clip. With some programming knowledge and planning, you can set and use
      variables and messages using these variables at various specific places
      withing your program to display the status of these specific items to tell
      you what the status of a long running program is while it is running. ie
      names of files being processed or operations being performed or even a
      timer display to indicated how much time is passing as the program is running.

      The main penalty for placing these things into your program is that it may
      run a little slower due to the overhead of having to display messages. You
      just have to decide how important it is to you.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
        Larry,

        I agree, I need to learn my coding better, I am working on it.

        However, the problem isn't a CLIP problem it is a REPLACE problem while
        using the drop down menu from the task bar. (The default Replace in all
        documents function)

        The problem is that the Replacement WINDOW establishs itself in the
        center of the screen, is always on top, and while processng can not be
        moved or minimized.

        If the replacement process takes thirty minutes, as it often does, all I
        can do is move around the "billboard" in the center of my screen. I
        often work with large documents or have about 30 open in notetab at once
        while doing a site maintenence.

        Doing it with the Control+D disc replacement isn't always my best
        option.

        Jeff
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
          Hi Jeff,

          At 08:01 AM 12/5/03 -0800, you wrote:
          >Larry,
          >
          >I agree, I need to learn my coding better, I am working on it.
          >
          >However, the problem isn't a CLIP problem it is a REPLACE problem while
          >using the drop down menu from the task bar. (The default Replace in all
          >documents function)

          I don't have this problem anymore. What I did was to open the Find dialog
          boxe and dragged it to the top over the document tabs and the toolbars
          which allows me to see the results of my searches in the document below.
          Then I click on the upper left corner and when the drop down menu appears I
          make sure that the "Open Centered" item is unchecked and then I click on
          the "Save Window State" item which closes the menu. After that I do the
          same with the Replace dialog. Now whenever I use either one they always
          appear at the top of the NoteTab window and they never block my view of the
          document text and the search and search/replace results.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
            Thanks, a good tip, but it sill stays on top of whatever window is
            activated.

            jeff
          • Warner
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
              If the Find dialog box is in your way, you can cancel it and use
              F3 after the first find.

              Warner

              Subject: Re: [NTB] My Least favorite activity in NoteTab

              > Thanks, a good tip, but it sill stays on top of whatever
              window is
              > activated.
              >
              > jeff

              ---
            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
                It isn't a problem with the find dialog box, it is the REPLACE text in
                all open documents process.

                If I tell teh Replace dialog to change all tray
                attributes(</TD>,</TR>^P<TR><TD>) to ^P (when detablizing data), if it
                is doing it in say 20 open documents, it can take a LONG time for
                notetab to make those replacements, the whole time the REPLACE Window
                is Immobilized in the position it was in when the process started.

                ONLY when the process completes are you able to minimize or shut
                downthe window, or even MOVE it. AND it is always ON TOP.
                ~~~
                I see two solutions, allow it to run in the background, or have it
                minimizeable.

                I don't think I am the only person this has happened to, it happened in
                LITE and in Standard. I Probably happens in PRO, but I can't know that.

                Jeff
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
                  Jeff:

                  This should probably go to OffTopic if you need more discussion, but one or
                  the other of:
                  Actual Title Buttons: http://www.actualtools.com/titlebuttons/
                  Power Menu: http://www.veridicus.com/tummy/programming/powermenu/
                  GhostIt: http://home.rochester.rr.com/artcfox/GhostIt/

                  might allow you to make what you want to see be ON-TOP wrt the Replace
                  Dialog. I believe that Windows has two different Z-order queues: Normal and
                  On-Top where anything in the On-Top queue beats anything in the Normal
                  queue.

                  If you're using Win2K or WinXP you might also find it possible to make the
                  Replace Dialog translucent or click-through with one of the above.

                  Regards ... Alec

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Hi Jeff,

                    At 04:06 PM 12/5/03 -0800, you wrote:
                    >I don't think I am the only person this has happened to, it happened in
                    >LITE and in Standard. I Probably happens in PRO, but I can't know that.
                    >
                    >Jeff

                    Well, I finally think that I know what your problem is. NoteTab Lite/Std
                    CAN be brutally slow at times, especially when doing very large REPLACE
                    procedures. NoteTab Pro uses a different software control and most of the
                    time it is much much faster than Lite/Std. I am sorry but I think the
                    solution to your problem may be to purchase Pro.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    lrt@... e¿ê