Re: [NTB] Annoying Things about Win2K

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
      Chuck,

      Go to

      http://jimbow.com/

      where you can download a document called "All About Replacing Notepad"
      which fully describes the Who, What,Where, and Why's for replacing Notepad
      on all versions of Windows since Win 95.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2003
        Hi Chuck,

        (Jim's link is at the bottom of all this mess. <g>)

        Win2K and XP is a bit trickier than other Windows OS'. It can be
        done though. The following should get you to the settings you
        want, plus more. You might want to read it all before
        implementing any of it to get a better understanding of it all.
        Some of it is taken directly from Help.

        You can associate text based files in NoteTab under View | Options |
        Associations. (If you do not see the Associations tab check the box
        to show the Advanced Features under the View tab.)

        Look in the Utilities Library under the NoteTab Shortcuts section
        for a few Clips. The Clips will add SendTo NoteTab, Edit HTML (with
        NoteTab), and should make NoteTab your default editor for IE View
        Source or Edit button.

        From Help under Frequently Asked Questions:
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        Can I replace Notepad with this editor?
        Yes! If NoteTab is correctly installed, you will find a command
        called "Replace MS Notepad" under the Help menu. When you choose
        that command, NoteTab will first rename Notepad by adding the
        extension ".MS" to the program file. Then, it will copy a special
        little program called NOTEPAD.STB to the Windows directory and
        rename it NOTEPAD.EXE. Whenever this program is executed, it
        launches NoteTab instead of Notepad. If you want to restore MS
        Notepad after this operation, just use the command "Restore MS
        Notepad", which is also available under the Help menu.

        Note that this feature may not work properly under Windows 2000, XP,
        and ME, due to the Windows File Protection (WFP) monitoring system,
        which checks for changes to system files.

        From the Help menu:
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        Replace MS Notepad
        Once this command has been activated, it causes NoteTab to execute
        whenever MS Notepad is invoked. When you choose that command,
        NoteTab will first rename Notepad by adding the extension ".MS" to
        the program file. Then, it will copy a special little program called
        NOTEPAD.STB to the Windows or System directory. Whenever this
        program is executed, it launches NoteTab instead of Notepad. If you
        want to restore MS Notepad after this operation, just use the
        command "Restore MS Notepad", which is also available under the Help
        menu.

        Restore MS Notepad
        Reverses the changes made by the "Replace MS Notepad" command. This
        command is only available after you have used the "Replace MS
        Notepad" command.

        If you are still having problems, try going to the following link.
        I consider Jim as a NoteTab expert for Win2000 and Notepad
        replacement and has many years of computer experience overall.

        Jim Hall: http://jimbow.com/

        >Probably one of the most annoying features about Win2k is that I
        >cannot replace Notepad with NoteTab. I have looked back into this
        >groups posts and have not been able to find a workaround. Is there
        >anyone out there in Virtual NoteTab-Land who can help me with this?
        >
        >Chuck

        Take care,

        and even thou doest err some!
        http://clean-funnies.com
        http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
      • Chuck
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2003
          Jody,
          Boy, you guys are good! and Shakespeare (I think!) to boot!

          I did get the replacement issue straightened out and I am printing
          out the rest of the information and tacking it to my wall where I
          won't lose it...

          Chuck