Annoying Things about Win2K

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
      Probably one of the most annoying features about Win2k is that I
      cannot replace Notepad with NoteTab. I have looked back into this
      groups posts and have not been able to find a workaround. Is there
      anyone out there in Virtual NoteTab-Land who can help me with this?

      Chuck
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
        Chuck,

        Go to

        http://jimbow.com/

        where you can download a document called "All About Replacing Notepad"
        which fully describes the Who, What,Where, and Why's for replacing Notepad
        on all versions of Windows since Win 95.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2003
          Hi Chuck,

          (Jim's link is at the bottom of all this mess. <g>)

          Win2K and XP is a bit trickier than other Windows OS'. It can be
          done though. The following should get you to the settings you
          want, plus more. You might want to read it all before
          implementing any of it to get a better understanding of it all.
          Some of it is taken directly from Help.

          You can associate text based files in NoteTab under View | Options |
          Associations. (If you do not see the Associations tab check the box
          to show the Advanced Features under the View tab.)

          Look in the Utilities Library under the NoteTab Shortcuts section
          for a few Clips. The Clips will add SendTo NoteTab, Edit HTML (with
          NoteTab), and should make NoteTab your default editor for IE View
          Source or Edit button.

          From Help under Frequently Asked Questions:
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
          Can I replace Notepad with this editor?
          Yes! If NoteTab is correctly installed, you will find a command
          called "Replace MS Notepad" under the Help menu. When you choose
          that command, NoteTab will first rename Notepad by adding the
          extension ".MS" to the program file. Then, it will copy a special
          little program called NOTEPAD.STB to the Windows directory and
          rename it NOTEPAD.EXE. Whenever this program is executed, it
          launches NoteTab instead of Notepad. If you want to restore MS
          Notepad after this operation, just use the command "Restore MS
          Notepad", which is also available under the Help menu.

          Note that this feature may not work properly under Windows 2000, XP,
          and ME, due to the Windows File Protection (WFP) monitoring system,
          which checks for changes to system files.

          From the Help menu:
          ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
          Replace MS Notepad
          Once this command has been activated, it causes NoteTab to execute
          whenever MS Notepad is invoked. When you choose that command,
          NoteTab will first rename Notepad by adding the extension ".MS" to
          the program file. Then, it will copy a special little program called
          NOTEPAD.STB to the Windows or System directory. Whenever this
          program is executed, it launches NoteTab instead of Notepad. If you
          want to restore MS Notepad after this operation, just use the
          command "Restore MS Notepad", which is also available under the Help
          menu.

          Restore MS Notepad
          Reverses the changes made by the "Replace MS Notepad" command. This
          command is only available after you have used the "Replace MS
          Notepad" command.

          If you are still having problems, try going to the following link.
          I consider Jim as a NoteTab expert for Win2000 and Notepad
          replacement and has many years of computer experience overall.

          Jim Hall: http://jimbow.com/

          >Probably one of the most annoying features about Win2k is that I
          >cannot replace Notepad with NoteTab. I have looked back into this
          >groups posts and have not been able to find a workaround. Is there
          >anyone out there in Virtual NoteTab-Land who can help me with this?
          >
          >Chuck

          Take care,

          and even thou doest err some!
          http://clean-funnies.com
          http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
        • Chuck
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2003
            Jody,
            Boy, you guys are good! and Shakespeare (I think!) to boot!

            I did get the replacement issue straightened out and I am printing
            out the rest of the information and tacking it to my wall where I
            won't lose it...

            Chuck