Edit or delete favorites

  • Rusty Weller
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2003
      I recently had to remormat my hard drive and added a D partition to
      C. This throws off my favorites, which now should come from D instead
      of C. I've searched here for ways to edit or delete favorites and
      tried what I found without success. I click on Favorites dropdown
      list, to Organize to Go To Favorites. If I click to remove an errant
      C-based item, it disappears, but I then can't close the box, getting
      an error message saying "Cannot create file D:\NoteTab
      Std\Favorites\Favorites.fvr" and I have no choice but to use ctrl-alt-
      delete to close the program. I suppose I could copy the files on C so
      the path would work, but I would rather fix it than work around it.
      I've tried to edit the fvr files, but they're read only, and even
      when I replace them with edited ones, the originals come back. I also
      looked through ini to see if I could find paths to change, but no
      luck.

      I also have a problem with NoteTab Std locking up after spellcheck
      and reverting back to its last closed version. I'll tackle that one
      after this, but I mention it in case it offers a clue.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2003
        Hi Rusty,

        >I recently had to remormat my hard drive and added a D partition to
        >C. This throws off my favorites, which now should come from D instead
        >of C. I've searched here for ways to edit or delete favorites and
        >tried what I found without success. I click on Favorites dropdown
        >list, to Organize to Go To Favorites. If I click to remove an errant
        >C-based item, it disappears, but I then can't close the box, getting
        >an error message saying "Cannot create file D:\NoteTab
        >Std\Favorites\Favorites.fvr" and I have no choice but to use ctrl-alt-
        >delete to close the program. I suppose I could copy the files on C so
        >the path would work, but I would rather fix it than work around it.
        >I've tried to edit the fvr files, but they're read only, and even
        >when I replace them with edited ones, the originals come back. I also
        >looked through ini to see if I could find paths to change, but no
        >luck.

        In short, try closing any .fvr files, right click over them in go
        to Windows Explorer (or My Computer), choose Properties, and then
        take them out of read-only. You should be able to edit them then.
        I'm swamped with mail, so I might have missed something above.

        >I also have a problem with NoteTab Std locking up after spellcheck
        >and reverting back to its last closed version. I'll tackle that one
        >after this, but I mention it in case it offers a clue.

        Here's everything I have on the Spelling Checker. I think you
        want to skip down to the deleting Spell.cfg file.

        You need to properly install dictionaries before you can use the
        Spell Checker and thesaurus. The following is how to install and
        use the American English dictionaries and thesaurus. Download and
        install the following installation program by clicking on
        "dicts.exe" after downloading it. All the dictionaries and the
        thesaurus go into NoteTab's Dictionaries folder.

        Setup program with English dictionaries and thesaurus (size 1,394
        KB; updated 8 May 2000) http://www.notetab.com/ftp/dicts.exe The
        following files should be installed to NoteTab's Dictionaries
        folder:

        English.dct (..\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\English.dct)
        AmerAdd.dct (..\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\AmerAdd.dct)
        English.thr (..\NoteTab Pro\Dictionaries\English.thr)

        The end result in the Spell Checker configuration (View | Spell
        Checker Options...) window should be the following. Make sure the
        boxes are checked.

        Base English v2.01
        American Add-on v2.01

        To use the Spell Checker simply load a document and press the
        Spell Check button. To use the thesaurus simply press F12 or
        click on Tools | Thesaurus.

        If you still have problems, close NoteTab and delete Spell.cfg
        found in its main folder. Start NoteTab and run the Spell
        Checker. When you are asked to configure the Spell Checker, do so
        at that time.

        Please press Help in the Spell Checker at any time it is open for
        more details and/or also press Options in the same dialog to set
        some options. You may also get to the same information from View
        | Spell Checker Options...

        Installing other dictionaries will be similar although they come
        in a compressed zip file. Additional dictionaries are located at
        our dictionaries page and do not have an installation program.
        Extract them into the Dictionaries folder and use the Add button
        in View | Spell-checker Options... to get them configured.
        http://www.notetab.com/dictionaries.htm

        See ya in the funnies,
        Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

        http://www.clean-funnies.com