RegEx probs

  • ccsrsj
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
      I find the RegEx feature of Notetab very useful, but it seems very
      easy to lock Notetab with it. This may well be due to my inefficient
      or incorrect expressions, but it would be nice to be able to kill it
      without killing the entire app, or perhaps a configurable timeout so
      that it gives up after 5 minutes or something?
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
        won't control alt delete kill whatever you are doing?
        give that a try if you are using a clip to run your regex

        for more complex regex stuff consider using perl via notetab

        ccsrsj wrote:

        > I find the RegEx feature of Notetab very useful, but it seems very
        > easy to lock Notetab with it. This may well be due to my inefficient
        > or incorrect expressions, but it would be nice to be able to kill it
        > without killing the entire app, or perhaps a configurable timeout so
        > that it gives up after 5 minutes or something?
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
          At 01:14 PM 12/4/03 -0000, you wrote:
          >I find the RegEx feature of Notetab very useful, but it seems very
          >easy to lock Notetab with it. This may well be due to my inefficient
          >or incorrect expressions, but it would be nice to be able to kill it
          >without killing the entire app, or perhaps a configurable timeout so
          >that it gives up after 5 minutes or something?

          Sometimes a lockup is not really a lockup. In this case, NoteTab could
          just be taking longer to do the search. Try Pressing Ctrl+Alt to cancel
          the clip.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
            ccsrsj wrote:

            > I find the RegEx feature of Notetab very useful, but it seems very
            > easy to lock Notetab with it. This may well be due to my inefficient
            > or incorrect expressions, but it would be nice to be able to kill it
            > without killing the entire app, or perhaps a configurable timeout so
            > that it gives up after 5 minutes or something?

            ccsrs,

            The key combination to interrupt a clip in progress is Ctrl+Alt, that's
            it, only 2 keys. Although, if it is going to work in the specific
            instance you are speaking of, one can't be sure.

            Do remember, you may have to keep the 2 keys depressed for several
            seconds before they will be effective.

            hrs
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
              Hi ccsrsj,

              When at all possible, use Clips instead of RegExp due to the
              known problem you are having. Larry mentioned that it might just
              be taking a long time and will eventually finish. Clips are much,
              much faster, but then you have to write them, but a lot of times
              you can reuse the Clip with minor adjustments. We will be using a
              much better perl based RegExp in v5 so we won't have the problem
              anymore. Check out the Clips and Scripts lists.
              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

              >I find the RegEx feature of Notetab very useful, but...

              bcnu,
              jody

              I can only please one person a day.
              Today is obviously not your day.
              Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
              http://www.clean-funnies.com
              http://www.notetab.net
            • Don Passenger
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                oops NOT DELETE
                control alt SPACE
                sometimes control alt isn't enough so add the space bar

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                  > Hi ccsrsj,
                  >
                  > When at all possible, use Clips instead of RegExp due to the
                  > known problem you are having. Larry mentioned that it might just
                  > be taking a long time and will eventually finish. Clips are much,
                  > much faster, but then you have to write them, but a lot of times
                  > you can reuse the Clip with minor adjustments. We will be using a
                  > much better perl based RegExp in v5 so we won't have the problem
                  > anymore. Check out the Clips and Scripts lists.
                  > http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                  Hi Jody and others,

                  Ctrl-Alt doesn't seem to stop the RegEx (from the find and replace
                  dialog at least)

                  I do use the clips often, but for complex, one-off jobs, a RegEx
                  often comes to mind first. I look forward to version 5.

                  Many thanks for all your replies,
                  Roger (ccsrsj)
                • hugo_paulissen
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Roger,

                    > Ctrl-Alt doesn't seem to stop the RegEx (from the find and replace
                    > dialog at least)

                    My guess is that this would not work, since it is the RegEx-engine
                    that is casuing the troubles. I imagine that it doesn't matter how
                    you start it up (either from a clip or from the F+R dialog). I think
                    it is a seperate process...

                    > I do use the clips often, but for complex, one-off jobs, a RegEx
                    > often comes to mind first. I look forward to version 5.

                    So do we,

                    Hugo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Hi ccsrsj,

                      I forgot to mention that the Ctrl+Alt normally does not work if
                      the RegExp is acting up. Normally, it will do it somewhat quick
                      if it is going to do it that way, otherwise, good luck. Once it
                      happens to me, I just go ahead and build the Clip. I find it is
                      faster than spending a bunch of time on the RegExp usually to no
                      avail.

                      >> When at all possible, use Clips instead of RegExp due to the
                      >> known problem you are having. Larry mentioned that it might just
                      >> be taking a long time and will eventually finish. Clips are much,
                      >> much faster, but then you have to write them, but a lot of times
                      >> you can reuse the Clip with minor adjustments. We will be using a
                      >> much better perl based RegExp in v5 so we won't have the problem
                      >> anymore. Check out the Clips and Scripts lists.
                      >> http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                      >
                      >Hi Jody and others,
                      >
                      >Ctrl-Alt doesn't seem to stop the RegEx (from the find and replace
                      >dialog at least)
                      >
                      >I do use the clips often, but for complex, one-off jobs, a RegEx
                      >often comes to mind first. I look forward to version 5.

                      See ya in the funnies,
                      Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                      http://www.clean-funnies.com