RE: [NTB] Re: Open multiple files in same instance

  • Pete Turner
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      > >> I would prefer using only NoteTab. Unfortunately, this behavior
      > > all
      > >> to often forces me to use a secondary text editor (the only
      > >> alternative of course being to move the given file to an area
      > > where
      > >> it's below the NoteTab path/filename length limit. Very
      > >> inconvenient)
      >
      > Possible workaround for file path length limitations:
      >
      > I haven't experienced this myself but if you're running Win2K
      > or WinXP and
      > using NTFS you *could* get HardLink shell extension:
      > http://hermann.schinagl.tripod.com/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlin
      > kshellext.html
      >
      > This allows you to have the same file be available from two locations
      > allowing you to circumvent the path length limitation for
      > file access in
      > Notetab, but *stiill* have the file accessible from its
      > normal location by
      > other apps that expect it to be there.
      >
      > ie. set up a folder called (say) C:\shorties\ and right click
      > copy from the
      > "real" location and select option "Hardlink here"

      Have you tried simply creating a shortcut to the existing file (placing
      the shortcut in a directory with a shorter path), then opening the
      shortcut in NoteTab (which should open the file the shortcut points
      to)?

      Pete
    • mapsonx
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Turner" <pete.turner@g...>
        wrote:
        > Have you tried simply creating a shortcut to the existing file
        (placing
        > the shortcut in a directory with a shorter path), then opening the
        > shortcut in NoteTab (which should open the file the shortcut points
        > to)?

        This just returns us to the original inconvenience. I don't see a
        whole lotta difference between going thru the motions of creating a
        shortcut in another directory or just copying the file there.

        It might suffice if you just have a few files with the limitation,
        but my data drive has many subdirectories. I regularly run into this
        problem with numerous files, even when exploring zip contents.

        > > I haven't experienced this myself but if you're running Win2K
        > > or WinXP

        Win98se

        - J -