Re: [NTB] Re: Open multiple files in same instance

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      Mapsonx/J-PerfectPitch :-)

      >> I would prefer using only NoteTab. Unfortunately, this behavior
      > all
      >> to often forces me to use a secondary text editor (the only
      >> alternative of course being to move the given file to an area
      > where
      >> it's below the NoteTab path/filename length limit. Very
      >> inconvenient)

      Possible workaround for file path length limitations:

      I haven't experienced this myself but if you're running Win2K or WinXP and
      using NTFS you *could* get HardLink shell extension:
      http://hermann.schinagl.tripod.com/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html

      This allows you to have the same file be available from two locations
      allowing you to circumvent the path length limitation for file access in
      Notetab, but *stiill* have the file accessible from its normal location by
      other apps that expect it to be there.

      ie. set up a folder called (say) C:\shorties\ and right click copy from the
      "real" location and select option "Hardlink here"

      If you want to discuss further please reply to ntb-offtopic :-)

      Regards ... Alec

      > I, too, experienced this problem although I never thought about
      > experimenting with path/filename length. Looking forward to a
      > solution.
      >
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "mapsonx" <mapsonx@h...> wrote:
    • Pete Turner
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        > >> I would prefer using only NoteTab. Unfortunately, this behavior
        > > all
        > >> to often forces me to use a secondary text editor (the only
        > >> alternative of course being to move the given file to an area
        > > where
        > >> it's below the NoteTab path/filename length limit. Very
        > >> inconvenient)
        >
        > Possible workaround for file path length limitations:
        >
        > I haven't experienced this myself but if you're running Win2K
        > or WinXP and
        > using NTFS you *could* get HardLink shell extension:
        > http://hermann.schinagl.tripod.com/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlin
        > kshellext.html
        >
        > This allows you to have the same file be available from two locations
        > allowing you to circumvent the path length limitation for
        > file access in
        > Notetab, but *stiill* have the file accessible from its
        > normal location by
        > other apps that expect it to be there.
        >
        > ie. set up a folder called (say) C:\shorties\ and right click
        > copy from the
        > "real" location and select option "Hardlink here"

        Have you tried simply creating a shortcut to the existing file (placing
        the shortcut in a directory with a shorter path), then opening the
        shortcut in NoteTab (which should open the file the shortcut points
        to)?

        Pete
      • mapsonx
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Turner" <pete.turner@g...>
          wrote:
          > Have you tried simply creating a shortcut to the existing file
          (placing
          > the shortcut in a directory with a shorter path), then opening the
          > shortcut in NoteTab (which should open the file the shortcut points
          > to)?

          This just returns us to the original inconvenience. I don't see a
          whole lotta difference between going thru the motions of creating a
          shortcut in another directory or just copying the file there.

          It might suffice if you just have a few files with the limitation,
          but my data drive has many subdirectories. I regularly run into this
          problem with numerous files, even when exploring zip contents.

          > > I haven't experienced this myself but if you're running Win2K
          > > or WinXP

          Win98se

          - J -