Re: [NTB] Re: Quick Help for NoteTab Newbies

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
      Robin,

      Congratulations! you have moved beyond the scope of BASIC Clip Basics and of the NoteTab Basics list.

      You are now ready to Move on to the Clips list which was created specifically to deal with the subject of Clips and to keep the Basics list just for the discussion of Basic NoteTab issues. Here you can spend the rest of your life learning about and helping others with Clip Language Programming. :-)

      Here too, you will find hundreds of years of programming experience and catalogs full of clips that you can draw upon to assist you in your Clip generation if you just say please and thank you.

      Be advised that though the author of NoteTab does monitor the lists, they are not specifically a part of Fookes Software but are of the users, by the users and for the users. The lists are for users like yourself to first learn then to help others who will follow in your footsteps.

      To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from the following
      Mailing List send an empty post (no subject required) to the list
      using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

      The NoteTab Clips List............ ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      A quick answer to a couple of your questions:

      In your NoteTab root directory you will find the file Glossary.otl. This is a glossary of terms relating to the use of NoteTab and many other computer/programming terms. You can open this file from within NoteTab or simply drag and drop it on an open session of NoteTab or a shortcut icon for NoteTab..

      In the Glossary you will find the term "Syntax Highlighting" which will explain why the lines in the clip are different colors.

      In NoteTab go to HELP>HELP ON CLIP PROGRAMMING for the fundamentals of the Clip Programming language Syntax and Clip Programming in general.

      These questions are not covered in BASIC Clip Basics because the purpose of it is simply to get you to the point where you can ask these types of questions and move on to the Clips list and start learning Clip Basics.

      Regards,

      Jim (Just another NoteTab user like everyone else on the lists)

      At 08:53 AM 11/7/2003 +1100, you wrote:
      >I also expected to get an explanation of why the lines were coloured:
      >

      >What does the carat mean?
      >What is the exclamation mark doing?
      >What is the effect of %nnnnnnnn% ?
      >What does the dollar sign do?
      >
      >I am sure that you will point me to a source of this information but why is
      >it not in " Basics" ??
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2003
        Hi Robin,

        A day late and prob'ly a dollar short, but I thought I'd throw my 2cents in...

        You can also find "Clip Basics" in the index of the NoteTab Help file (the
        first Help file listed under the Help menu). This is not listed in the Clip
        Script Help File index, but you do find it mentioned and will link back to
        the NoteTab help file in both the Custom Functions & Clip Wizard and Fields
        sections of the Clip Script Help File. I have it referenced under Favorites
        in the Clip Script Help file for quick access to it upon occasion. (As an
        aside, I also have the Regular Expressions topic bookmarked in Favorites in
        the Clip Help for easy access.)

        The Clip Basics topic should probably be in both places, but somehow got
        lost in the shuffle when the Clip language got its own help file :-).

        Julie