[NTB] Re: Quick Help for NoteTab Newbies

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
      Hi Robin and Larry,

      Just a little follow up to what Larry said about the colors in clips.

      Clip colors follow the color pattern each user selects (if they
      change the defaults) for HTML tags in the options
      (VIEW/OPTIONS/COLORS). Things like comments which are gray on
      Larry's screen, are bright red on mine.

      John

      > Basically, black is for plain text which will be pasted into the
      current
      > document at the current cursor location when you run the clip.
      >
      > Gray is for commented text which begins with a semicolon (;) and
      which is
      > not acted on when a clip is run but is just there for descrtiptive
      purposes
      > for the programmer or for the programmer to leave notes in the
      program to
      > describe sections of the program for future reference when he/she
      modifies it.

      > Blue is for command lines which begin with ^! which causes
      NoteTab;s clip
      > parser to look up and run the clip command that follows.
      >
      > Red is for a label which follows a colon (:) and serves as a target
      for a
      > testing command such as an ^!IfTrue command.
      >
      > I cannot think of any other colors that appear in clips just now so
      I think
      > that this is the complete list of them.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Larry
      > lrt@n... e¿ê
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
        Robin,

        Congratulations! you have moved beyond the scope of BASIC Clip Basics and of the NoteTab Basics list.

        You are now ready to Move on to the Clips list which was created specifically to deal with the subject of Clips and to keep the Basics list just for the discussion of Basic NoteTab issues. Here you can spend the rest of your life learning about and helping others with Clip Language Programming. :-)

        Here too, you will find hundreds of years of programming experience and catalogs full of clips that you can draw upon to assist you in your Clip generation if you just say please and thank you.

        Be advised that though the author of NoteTab does monitor the lists, they are not specifically a part of Fookes Software but are of the users, by the users and for the users. The lists are for users like yourself to first learn then to help others who will follow in your footsteps.

        To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from the following
        Mailing List send an empty post (no subject required) to the list
        using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

        The NoteTab Clips List............ ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        A quick answer to a couple of your questions:

        In your NoteTab root directory you will find the file Glossary.otl. This is a glossary of terms relating to the use of NoteTab and many other computer/programming terms. You can open this file from within NoteTab or simply drag and drop it on an open session of NoteTab or a shortcut icon for NoteTab..

        In the Glossary you will find the term "Syntax Highlighting" which will explain why the lines in the clip are different colors.

        In NoteTab go to HELP>HELP ON CLIP PROGRAMMING for the fundamentals of the Clip Programming language Syntax and Clip Programming in general.

        These questions are not covered in BASIC Clip Basics because the purpose of it is simply to get you to the point where you can ask these types of questions and move on to the Clips list and start learning Clip Basics.

        Regards,

        Jim (Just another NoteTab user like everyone else on the lists)

        At 08:53 AM 11/7/2003 +1100, you wrote:
        >I also expected to get an explanation of why the lines were coloured:
        >

        >What does the carat mean?
        >What is the exclamation mark doing?
        >What is the effect of %nnnnnnnn% ?
        >What does the dollar sign do?
        >
        >I am sure that you will point me to a source of this information but why is
        >it not in " Basics" ??
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 8, 2003
          Hi Robin,

          A day late and prob'ly a dollar short, but I thought I'd throw my 2cents in...

          You can also find "Clip Basics" in the index of the NoteTab Help file (the
          first Help file listed under the Help menu). This is not listed in the Clip
          Script Help File index, but you do find it mentioned and will link back to
          the NoteTab help file in both the Custom Functions & Clip Wizard and Fields
          sections of the Clip Script Help File. I have it referenced under Favorites
          in the Clip Script Help file for quick access to it upon occasion. (As an
          aside, I also have the Regular Expressions topic bookmarked in Favorites in
          the Clip Help for easy access.)

          The Clip Basics topic should probably be in both places, but somehow got
          lost in the shuffle when the Clip language got its own help file :-).

          Julie