[NTB] Re: Quick Help for NoteTab Newbies

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
      Those are related to NoteTab clips Robin, the most powerful feature
      of NoteTab. So powerful that clips have their own special help
      section. See the menu command HELP then HELP ON CLIP PROGRAMMING to
      learn more.

      John

      > I also expected to get an explanation of why the lines were
      coloured:

      > Get Current Document's File Name (Black)
      > ;Get the Name of the current document and (Gray)
      > ;save it in the Variable called %docfilename% (Gray)
      > ^!Set %docfilename%=^$GetDocName$ (Blue)
      > ;Print a Prompt to the screen telling me (Gray)
      > :the Name of the Current Document (Gray)
      > ^!prompt Current Document's File Name is: ^%docfilename% (Blue)
      > and I would also appreciate a "" dictionary "" of terms:
      >
      > What does the carat mean?
      > What is the exclamation mark doing?
      > What is the effect of %nnnnnnnn% ?
      > What does the dollar sign do?
      >
      > I am sure that you will point me to a source of this information
      but why is
      > it not in " Basics" ??
      >
      > Thanks for all of your help.
      >
      > Robin Chapple
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
        Hi Robin,

        At 08:53 AM 11/7/03 +1100, you wrote:
        >At 6/11/2003 04:43 PM, Jim Hall <jehall@...> wrote:
        >
        >>This is the first time anyone has mentioned this oversight and thanks to
        >>your feedback it will be incorporated into the document.
        >
        >Jim,
        >
        >I also expected to get an explanation of why the lines were coloured:
        >
        > Get Current Document's File Name (Black)
        > ;Get the Name of the current document and (Gray)
        > ;save it in the Variable called %docfilename% (Gray)
        > ^!Set %docfilename%=^$GetDocName$ (Blue)
        > ;Print a Prompt to the screen telling me (Gray)
        > :the Name of the Current Document (Gray)
        > ^!prompt Current Document's File Name is: ^%docfilename% (Blue)
        >and I would also appreciate a "" dictionary "" of terms:
        >
        >What does the carat mean?
        >What is the exclamation mark doing?
        >What is the effect of %nnnnnnnn% ?
        >What does the dollar sign do?
        >
        >I am sure that you will point me to a source of this information but why is
        >it not in " Basics" ??
        >
        >Thanks for all of your help.
        >
        >Robin Chapple

        Go to the menu bar and select Help/Help on clip programing. On this panel
        select the contents tab and select introduction. There you will see all of
        the help on basic clip elements including what the circumblex (^) and
        exclamation point (!) and other punctuation combinations are for.

        I am not just sure where to find the various color codings although I know
        they are there.

        Basically, black is for plain text which will be pasted into the current
        document at the current cursor location when you run the clip.

        Gray is for commented text which begins with a semicolon (;) and which is
        not acted on when a clip is run but is just there for descrtiptive purposes
        for the programmer or for the programmer to leave notes in the program to
        describe sections of the program for future reference when he/she modifies it.

        Blue is for command lines which begin with ^! which causes NoteTab;s clip
        parser to look up and run the clip command that follows.

        Red is for a label which follows a colon (:) and serves as a target for a
        testing command such as an ^!IfTrue command.

        I cannot think of any other colors that appear in clips just now so I think
        that this is the complete list of them.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
          Hi Robin and Larry,

          Just a little follow up to what Larry said about the colors in clips.

          Clip colors follow the color pattern each user selects (if they
          change the defaults) for HTML tags in the options
          (VIEW/OPTIONS/COLORS). Things like comments which are gray on
          Larry's screen, are bright red on mine.

          John

          > Basically, black is for plain text which will be pasted into the
          current
          > document at the current cursor location when you run the clip.
          >
          > Gray is for commented text which begins with a semicolon (;) and
          which is
          > not acted on when a clip is run but is just there for descrtiptive
          purposes
          > for the programmer or for the programmer to leave notes in the
          program to
          > describe sections of the program for future reference when he/she
          modifies it.

          > Blue is for command lines which begin with ^! which causes
          NoteTab;s clip
          > parser to look up and run the clip command that follows.
          >
          > Red is for a label which follows a colon (:) and serves as a target
          for a
          > testing command such as an ^!IfTrue command.
          >
          > I cannot think of any other colors that appear in clips just now so
          I think
          > that this is the complete list of them.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Larry
          > lrt@n... e¿ê
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
            Robin,

            Congratulations! you have moved beyond the scope of BASIC Clip Basics and of the NoteTab Basics list.

            You are now ready to Move on to the Clips list which was created specifically to deal with the subject of Clips and to keep the Basics list just for the discussion of Basic NoteTab issues. Here you can spend the rest of your life learning about and helping others with Clip Language Programming. :-)

            Here too, you will find hundreds of years of programming experience and catalogs full of clips that you can draw upon to assist you in your Clip generation if you just say please and thank you.

            Be advised that though the author of NoteTab does monitor the lists, they are not specifically a part of Fookes Software but are of the users, by the users and for the users. The lists are for users like yourself to first learn then to help others who will follow in your footsteps.

            To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from the following
            Mailing List send an empty post (no subject required) to the list
            using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

            The NoteTab Clips List............ ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            A quick answer to a couple of your questions:

            In your NoteTab root directory you will find the file Glossary.otl. This is a glossary of terms relating to the use of NoteTab and many other computer/programming terms. You can open this file from within NoteTab or simply drag and drop it on an open session of NoteTab or a shortcut icon for NoteTab..

            In the Glossary you will find the term "Syntax Highlighting" which will explain why the lines in the clip are different colors.

            In NoteTab go to HELP>HELP ON CLIP PROGRAMMING for the fundamentals of the Clip Programming language Syntax and Clip Programming in general.

            These questions are not covered in BASIC Clip Basics because the purpose of it is simply to get you to the point where you can ask these types of questions and move on to the Clips list and start learning Clip Basics.

            Regards,

            Jim (Just another NoteTab user like everyone else on the lists)

            At 08:53 AM 11/7/2003 +1100, you wrote:
            >I also expected to get an explanation of why the lines were coloured:
            >

            >What does the carat mean?
            >What is the exclamation mark doing?
            >What is the effect of %nnnnnnnn% ?
            >What does the dollar sign do?
            >
            >I am sure that you will point me to a source of this information but why is
            >it not in " Basics" ??
          • Julie
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 8, 2003
              Hi Robin,

              A day late and prob'ly a dollar short, but I thought I'd throw my 2cents in...

              You can also find "Clip Basics" in the index of the NoteTab Help file (the
              first Help file listed under the Help menu). This is not listed in the Clip
              Script Help File index, but you do find it mentioned and will link back to
              the NoteTab help file in both the Custom Functions & Clip Wizard and Fields
              sections of the Clip Script Help File. I have it referenced under Favorites
              in the Clip Script Help file for quick access to it upon occasion. (As an
              aside, I also have the Regular Expressions topic bookmarked in Favorites in
              the Clip Help for easy access.)

              The Clip Basics topic should probably be in both places, but somehow got
              lost in the shuffle when the Clip language got its own help file :-).

              Julie