Re: Quick Help for NoteTab Newbies

  • Robin Chapple
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2003
      At 6/11/2003 05:20 AM, Jim Hall <jehall@...> wrote:

      >For quick information on the NoteTab file and directory structure and
      >formats go to
      ><http://jimbow.com/>http://jimbow.com/ and download "NoteTab Intro for
      >Newbies"

      I am a "newbie" and appreciate that this basic information is important.

      I am using NoteTab Pro 4.86c/np. The intro mentions:
      At the top of the Clipbook Window (leftmost) and the Quick List Window
      (rightmost) is a selection box (little window with a button that has a down
      pointing arrow on it)
      I have no selection box in the Quick List Window. I have confirmed that I
      have the correct display by toggle on and off with F6. Has there been a
      recent change or do I have a problem?

      Thanks,

      Robin Chapple
    • hugo_paulissen
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2003
        Robin, (Jim),

        No, I do no think you have a problem. The QuickList has four
        different "views": Documents, Favorites, Disk Files and Clip
        Assistant. Only Favorites and Disk Files have the small selection box
        you mention. I'm not familiar with the jimbow-newbie file, but it
        could be considered that this info is added somehwere...

        Hugo

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Robin Chapple <robinski@m...> wrote:
        > At 6/11/2003 05:20 AM, Jim Hall <jehall@j...> wrote:
        >
        > >For quick information on the NoteTab file and directory structure
        and
        > >formats go to
        > ><http://jimbow.com/>http://jimbow.com/ and download "NoteTab Intro
        for
        > >Newbies"
        >

        > I am a "newbie" and appreciate that this basic information is
        important.

        > I am using NoteTab Pro 4.86c/np. The intro mentions:
        > At the top of the Clipbook Window (leftmost) and the Quick List
        Window
        > (rightmost) is a selection box (little window with a button that
        has a down
        > pointing arrow on it)
        > I have no selection box in the Quick List Window. I have confirmed
        that I
        > have the correct display by toggle on and off with F6. Has there
        been a
        > recent change or do I have a problem?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Robin Chapple
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2003
          Robin,

          As Hugo pointed out there are 4 "Views" available in the Quick List pane. These may be selected using TOOLS>QUICK LIST PROPERTIES or by right clicking while the mouse pointer is in the Quick List pane.

          This is the first time anyone has mentioned this oversight and thanks to your feedback it will be incorporated into the document.

          Thanks,

          Jim

          PS The current version of NoteTab Pro is 4.95 and I would recommend that you install the free upgrade.

          Eric Fookes wrote the following:

          I have just released NoteTab 4.95. You can upgrade your copy by visiting
          one of the NoteTab Web sites:
          http://www.notetab.com/
          or
          http://www.notetab.ch/

          If you're a registered users, you can obtain your free update by following
          the instructions on this page:
          http://www.notetab.com/upgrade.htm

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
            At 6/11/2003 04:43 PM, Jim Hall <jehall@...> wrote:

            >This is the first time anyone has mentioned this oversight and thanks to
            >your feedback it will be incorporated into the document.

            Jim,

            I also expected to get an explanation of why the lines were coloured:

            Get Current Document's File Name (Black)
            ;Get the Name of the current document and (Gray)
            ;save it in the Variable called %docfilename% (Gray)
            ^!Set %docfilename%=^$GetDocName$ (Blue)
            ;Print a Prompt to the screen telling me (Gray)
            :the Name of the Current Document (Gray)
            ^!prompt Current Document's File Name is: ^%docfilename% (Blue)
            and I would also appreciate a "" dictionary "" of terms:

            What does the carat mean?
            What is the exclamation mark doing?
            What is the effect of %nnnnnnnn% ?
            What does the dollar sign do?

            I am sure that you will point me to a source of this information but why is
            it not in " Basics" ??

            Thanks for all of your help.

            Robin Chapple
          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
              Those are related to NoteTab clips Robin, the most powerful feature
              of NoteTab. So powerful that clips have their own special help
              section. See the menu command HELP then HELP ON CLIP PROGRAMMING to
              learn more.

              John

              > I also expected to get an explanation of why the lines were
              coloured:

              > Get Current Document's File Name (Black)
              > ;Get the Name of the current document and (Gray)
              > ;save it in the Variable called %docfilename% (Gray)
              > ^!Set %docfilename%=^$GetDocName$ (Blue)
              > ;Print a Prompt to the screen telling me (Gray)
              > :the Name of the Current Document (Gray)
              > ^!prompt Current Document's File Name is: ^%docfilename% (Blue)
              > and I would also appreciate a "" dictionary "" of terms:
              >
              > What does the carat mean?
              > What is the exclamation mark doing?
              > What is the effect of %nnnnnnnn% ?
              > What does the dollar sign do?
              >
              > I am sure that you will point me to a source of this information
              but why is
              > it not in " Basics" ??
              >
              > Thanks for all of your help.
              >
              > Robin Chapple
            • Larry Thomas
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
                Hi Robin,

                At 08:53 AM 11/7/03 +1100, you wrote:
                >At 6/11/2003 04:43 PM, Jim Hall <jehall@...> wrote:
                >
                >>This is the first time anyone has mentioned this oversight and thanks to
                >>your feedback it will be incorporated into the document.
                >
                >Jim,
                >
                >I also expected to get an explanation of why the lines were coloured:
                >
                > Get Current Document's File Name (Black)
                > ;Get the Name of the current document and (Gray)
                > ;save it in the Variable called %docfilename% (Gray)
                > ^!Set %docfilename%=^$GetDocName$ (Blue)
                > ;Print a Prompt to the screen telling me (Gray)
                > :the Name of the Current Document (Gray)
                > ^!prompt Current Document's File Name is: ^%docfilename% (Blue)
                >and I would also appreciate a "" dictionary "" of terms:
                >
                >What does the carat mean?
                >What is the exclamation mark doing?
                >What is the effect of %nnnnnnnn% ?
                >What does the dollar sign do?
                >
                >I am sure that you will point me to a source of this information but why is
                >it not in " Basics" ??
                >
                >Thanks for all of your help.
                >
                >Robin Chapple

                Go to the menu bar and select Help/Help on clip programing. On this panel
                select the contents tab and select introduction. There you will see all of
                the help on basic clip elements including what the circumblex (^) and
                exclamation point (!) and other punctuation combinations are for.

                I am not just sure where to find the various color codings although I know
                they are there.

                Basically, black is for plain text which will be pasted into the current
                document at the current cursor location when you run the clip.

                Gray is for commented text which begins with a semicolon (;) and which is
                not acted on when a clip is run but is just there for descrtiptive purposes
                for the programmer or for the programmer to leave notes in the program to
                describe sections of the program for future reference when he/she modifies it.

                Blue is for command lines which begin with ^! which causes NoteTab;s clip
                parser to look up and run the clip command that follows.

                Red is for a label which follows a colon (:) and serves as a target for a
                testing command such as an ^!IfTrue command.

                I cannot think of any other colors that appear in clips just now so I think
                that this is the complete list of them.

                Regards,

                Larry
                lrt@... e¿ê
              • John Zeman
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
                  Hi Robin and Larry,

                  Just a little follow up to what Larry said about the colors in clips.

                  Clip colors follow the color pattern each user selects (if they
                  change the defaults) for HTML tags in the options
                  (VIEW/OPTIONS/COLORS). Things like comments which are gray on
                  Larry's screen, are bright red on mine.

                  John

                  > Basically, black is for plain text which will be pasted into the
                  current
                  > document at the current cursor location when you run the clip.
                  >
                  > Gray is for commented text which begins with a semicolon (;) and
                  which is
                  > not acted on when a clip is run but is just there for descrtiptive
                  purposes
                  > for the programmer or for the programmer to leave notes in the
                  program to
                  > describe sections of the program for future reference when he/she
                  modifies it.

                  > Blue is for command lines which begin with ^! which causes
                  NoteTab;s clip
                  > parser to look up and run the clip command that follows.
                  >
                  > Red is for a label which follows a colon (:) and serves as a target
                  for a
                  > testing command such as an ^!IfTrue command.
                  >
                  > I cannot think of any other colors that appear in clips just now so
                  I think
                  > that this is the complete list of them.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Larry
                  > lrt@n... e¿ê
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
                    Robin,

                    Congratulations! you have moved beyond the scope of BASIC Clip Basics and of the NoteTab Basics list.

                    You are now ready to Move on to the Clips list which was created specifically to deal with the subject of Clips and to keep the Basics list just for the discussion of Basic NoteTab issues. Here you can spend the rest of your life learning about and helping others with Clip Language Programming. :-)

                    Here too, you will find hundreds of years of programming experience and catalogs full of clips that you can draw upon to assist you in your Clip generation if you just say please and thank you.

                    Be advised that though the author of NoteTab does monitor the lists, they are not specifically a part of Fookes Software but are of the users, by the users and for the users. The lists are for users like yourself to first learn then to help others who will follow in your footsteps.

                    To Subscribe to or UnSubscribe from the following
                    Mailing List send an empty post (no subject required) to the list
                    using the eMail address to the right of the list name:

                    The NoteTab Clips List............ ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    A quick answer to a couple of your questions:

                    In your NoteTab root directory you will find the file Glossary.otl. This is a glossary of terms relating to the use of NoteTab and many other computer/programming terms. You can open this file from within NoteTab or simply drag and drop it on an open session of NoteTab or a shortcut icon for NoteTab..

                    In the Glossary you will find the term "Syntax Highlighting" which will explain why the lines in the clip are different colors.

                    In NoteTab go to HELP>HELP ON CLIP PROGRAMMING for the fundamentals of the Clip Programming language Syntax and Clip Programming in general.

                    These questions are not covered in BASIC Clip Basics because the purpose of it is simply to get you to the point where you can ask these types of questions and move on to the Clips list and start learning Clip Basics.

                    Regards,

                    Jim (Just another NoteTab user like everyone else on the lists)

                    At 08:53 AM 11/7/2003 +1100, you wrote:
                    >I also expected to get an explanation of why the lines were coloured:
                    >

                    >What does the carat mean?
                    >What is the exclamation mark doing?
                    >What is the effect of %nnnnnnnn% ?
                    >What does the dollar sign do?
                    >
                    >I am sure that you will point me to a source of this information but why is
                    >it not in " Basics" ??
                  • Julie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 8, 2003
                      Hi Robin,

                      A day late and prob'ly a dollar short, but I thought I'd throw my 2cents in...

                      You can also find "Clip Basics" in the index of the NoteTab Help file (the
                      first Help file listed under the Help menu). This is not listed in the Clip
                      Script Help File index, but you do find it mentioned and will link back to
                      the NoteTab help file in both the Custom Functions & Clip Wizard and Fields
                      sections of the Clip Script Help File. I have it referenced under Favorites
                      in the Clip Script Help file for quick access to it upon occasion. (As an
                      aside, I also have the Regular Expressions topic bookmarked in Favorites in
                      the Clip Help for easy access.)

                      The Clip Basics topic should probably be in both places, but somehow got
                      lost in the shuffle when the Clip language got its own help file :-).

                      Julie