Re: [NTB] Backup my customized toolbar

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 21, 2003
      Hi Roy,

      At 12:02 PM 10/21/03 -0500, you wrote:
      >Is there a way to backup my customized toolbar?
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Roy

      Julie's advice is good for the second toolbar which is called a clipbar.
      You can create a clipbar to point to your clips and it runs the clips when
      it is clicked on.

      The standard toolbar can be customized by rearranging the buttons or by
      turning buttons on or off and the settings for it are stored in the
      NoteTab.ini or Notepro.ini files. To backup this toolbar just make a copy
      of that file and save it under a different name. Example: NoteTabbkp.ini
      or Noteprobkp.ini. Then, if you have a problem and need to restore the
      settings, you just copy the backup file to !NoteTab.ini or !Notepro.ini.
      The explanation point at the beginning of the file name is important. Now
      shut down NoteTab and restart it and your old settings will be restored.

      There is one problem that you need to be aware of. The ini file holds many
      settings and when you restore the old ini, it will restore ALL settings,
      colors, fonts, etc - not just the toolbar settings. You might want to
      consider making these backups often enough to catch all of the other
      changes that you might make from time to time in your NoteTab's Options
      panel. Otherwise, you will restore a toolbar and lose the other settings
      and have to remember them to restore them back manually.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • rh00112000
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2003
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Larry Thomas <larryt@c...> wrote:

        > Hi Roy,
        >
        > At 12:02 PM 10/21/03 -0500, you wrote:
        > >Is there a way to backup my customized toolbar?
        > >
        > >Thanks,
        > >Roy
        >
        > Julie's advice is good for the second toolbar which is called a
        clipbar.
        > You can create a clipbar to point to your clips and it runs the
        clips when
        > it is clicked on.
        >
        > The standard toolbar can be customized by rearranging the buttons
        or by
        > turning buttons on or off and the settings for it are stored in the
        > NoteTab.ini or Notepro.ini files. To backup this toolbar just make
        a copy
        > of that file and save it under a different name. Example:
        NoteTabbkp.ini
        > or Noteprobkp.ini. Then, if you have a problem and need to restore
        the
        > settings, you just copy the backup file to !NoteTab.ini or !
        Notepro.ini.
        > The explanation point at the beginning of the file name is
        important. Now
        > shut down NoteTab and restart it and your old settings will be
        restored.

        > There is one problem that you need to be aware of. The ini file
        holds many
        > settings and when you restore the old ini, it will restore ALL
        settings,
        > colors, fonts, etc - not just the toolbar settings. You might want
        > consider making these backups often enough to catch all of the other
        > changes that you might make from time to time in your NoteTab's
        > panel. Otherwise, you will restore a toolbar and lose the other
        settings
        > and have to remember them to restore them back manually.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Larry
        > lrt@n... e¿ê

        Thanks, Larry
        What is the explanation point (!NoteTab.ini) for? I have never seen
        it before.

        Thanks,
        Roy
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2003
          Hi Roy,

          At 09:11 PM 10/22/03 -0000, you wrote:
          >Thanks, Larry
          >What is the explanation point (!NoteTab.ini) for? I have never seen
          >it before.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Roy

          When NoteTab starts, Eric has set it up so that the program looks for the
          ini file with the exclamation point at the beginning of its name and if
          found, it retreives the settings from it. If it does not find the ini with
          the exclamation point at its beginning then it looks for the ini file
          without the exclamation at its beginning and retrieves its settings from
          that file. If it does not find the ini file at all in any form, it uses a
          default set of settings from the program itself.

          When NoteTab shuts down, it writes its current settings to the ini file if
          it exists or it creates the file if it does not. That is why you use the
          exclamation point to the beginning of the file. NoteTab will delete this
          file after it retrieves its settings from it.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê