Re: [NTB] User defined tags?

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 11 6:02 AM
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:

      > Do you type your bb content into a notetab window and
      > then paste it into a web page ...

      Yes, that's precisely what I do - that way I can more easily format
      the message and add tags (ie; URL links, etc).

      I don't really care whether the capability is a function of
      whatever "Clips" are or not, I'm more interested in knowing whether
      what I describe can be done at all by NoteTab. My question was, is
      there a "feature within NoteTab that allows me to insert these type
      of codes around highlighted text strings similarly to the way the
      NoteTab HTML feature works."

      I don't need to "figure out" exactly what I want it to do, I know
      EXACTLY what I want it to do. Perhaps I should have sent my question
      directly to NoteTab technical support rather than posting my question
      on what I thought was a NoteTab support group.

      -- Ron
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 11 6:30 AM
        He just told you what you ask can be done by the use of clips. Just go to
        the notetab clips list and they will show you how. Clips is the feature in
        Notetab that does what you want to do. This page will perhaps tell you how.
        This page has a bit of info for Libraries, Clips, and the Clipbar:
        http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm and second join the clips list they
        will show you how.
        Ed

        > Do you type your bb content into a notetab window and
        > then paste it into a web page ...

        Yes, that's precisely what I do - that way I can more easily format
        the message and add tags (ie; URL links, etc).

        I don't really care whether the capability is a function of
        whatever "Clips" are or not, I'm more interested in knowing whether
        what I describe can be done at all by NoteTab. My question was, is
        there a "feature within NoteTab that allows me to insert these type
        of codes around highlighted text strings similarly to the way the
        NoteTab HTML feature works."

        I don't need to "figure out" exactly what I want it to do, I know
        EXACTLY what I want it to do. Perhaps I should have sent my question
        directly to NoteTab technical support rather than posting my question
        on what I thought was a NoteTab support group.

        -- Ron

      • Julie
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 11 6:42 AM
          Hi Ron,

          >I don't need to "figure out" exactly what I want it to do, I know
          >EXACTLY what I want it to do. Perhaps I should have sent my question
          >directly to NoteTab technical support rather than posting my question
          >on what I thought was a NoteTab support group.

          IMHO, you will get a quicker response to your question by posting to one of
          the NoteTab lists than sending a question directly to the support (sorry
          Jody <G>) address. There are very knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly
          people on the many NoteTab lists.

          The NoteTab Clips list has public archives @
          if you wish to peruse the list without joining. To join send an empty post to:
          ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Notetab also has two Help files because the Clip language can be so
          complex. Make sure you check out the Clip help file for more information
          about writing your own clips.

          You can also right click over a clip name to edit the clip and examine the
          code to learn how to write clips. If you do that, be careful not to save
          any changes because the clip might not work after that! You can view entire
          libraries code by right clicking over the open clipbook library name, but,
          again, be careful not to save any changes you make.

          Julie
        • Ron
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 11 10:27 AM
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Julie <gleits@c...> wrote:
            > Hi Ron,
            > Notetab also has two Help files because the Clip language
            > can be so complex. Make sure you check out the Clip help
            > file for more information about writing your own clips.

            Ok, thanks Julie. Perhaps I will pose my question to the
            NoteTab "Clips" list, but it sounds like the answer to
            my question is that NoteTab itself doesn't have this capability, but
            that I can write a computer program myself in the "Clips" language to
            do it. I wasn't really planning on having to learn yet another
            computer programming language in order to use NoteTab, or to have to
            write a computer program to implement the feature myself however - in
            other words, I don't want to make a career out of learning to use
            NoteTab.

            I had the (obviously mistaken) impression that NoteTab was a simple,
            fast, and easy to use text editor for quickly composing notes (as the
            program's title suggests), but I already own several very complex
            programming editors (Emacs for both Windows and Linux, MultiEdit,
            UltraEdit, Nedit, the Microsoft Visual Studio programming editor and
            development environment, etc) and I don't think I need another of
            those.

            Thanks for your help. I'm glad I checked things out here before
            purchasing the program.

            -- Ron
          • Mike Hopkins
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 11 10:56 AM
              Ron,

              If I read your request correctly, what you are looking for sounds like NoteTabs 'find and replace' feature where one text string is
              replaced with another.

              To open the find dialog, use the menu SEARCH >> REPLACE, then, when the appropriate strings have been entered , click either the
              'replace' or 'replace all' button.

              If you first highlight the text in question it appears in the 'find text' area when the diaog opens and you then type in the
              replacement text in the 'replace with' area. Copy-'n-paste also works in both areas. Directly typing text also works, of course.

              Clips can provide you the opportunity to create a one-click solution. The Clip language is much more than a macro language where
              keystrokes are recorded and played back. It is a real programming language with loops, external calls, etc. In accordance with the
              rules of the NoteTab support lists, all discussions of clips should tke place on the clips list. To subscribe go to

              http://www.notetab.com/support.php

              and near the bottom of the page click on the link to subscribe to the NoteTab Clips list. These people will be very helpful, believe
              me. Also read the clips help.

              I will tell you here that the result of a customized clip book will STRONGLY resemble the HTML clipbooks included with your trial
              NoteTab. ( a clipbook is a group of {usually} related clips.)

              I hope 8^) this is an helpful response and that I haven't misunderstood your question.

              *****

              An alternate method -- and less practical one for an experienced NoteTab user -- would be to type the content of your custom tags as
              you type the text of your response, but bracket them with non-useful keyboard characters such as ^ carot (shift-six), | pipe
              (shift-backslash) and \ backslash. You could then use the find>>replace>>replace all combination on each character to replace it
              with the appropriate slash or bracket. Over a short period of time clips would be much more efficient, I think.

              *****

              Happy NoteTabbin'!

              Mike Hopkins
              ironmike@...

              > their particular forums. Typically the codes are very much like a
              > subset of HTML, except that the angle-brackets are replaced with left
              > and right square brackets. For example, in order to make text bold or
              > italic, these forums use codes like this:
              >
              > [b]bold text[/b]
              > [i]italicized text[/i]
              >
              > If someone can point me to a feature within NoteTab that allows me to
              > insert these type of codes around highlighted text strings
              >
              > -- Ron Dotson
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 11 11:19 AM
                Hi Ron,

                >Ok, thanks Julie. Perhaps I will pose my question to the
                >NoteTab "Clips" list, but it sounds like the answer to
                >my question is that NoteTab itself doesn't have this capability, but
                >that I can write a computer program myself in the "Clips" language to
                >do it. I wasn't really planning on having to learn yet another
                >computer programming language in order to use NoteTab, or to have to
                >write a computer program to implement the feature myself however - in
                >other words, I don't want to make a career out of learning to use
                >NoteTab.

                ~light coming on~
                I think I'm beginning to see... you're looking for something where you can
                *record* these macros you want to use in a simple fashion, rather than
                learning the language, hm? Basic text manipulation, such as what's found
                in the HTML library is very easy.

                Take for example the Bold clip in the HTML library. It looks like this...

                <very mini clip discussion>
                H="Bold"
                ^!InsertHtml <B>^&</B>

                The ^& code takes the highlighted text in the document and inserts it into
                the document so similarly using your code example

                H="Bold"
                [b]^&[/b]

                would turn a selected
                serendipity
                into
                [b]serendipity[/b]

                I'm sure someone on the Clips list could write you a clip very quickly
                where you could be prompted for the "code" you want, that would actually
                create the clip and paste it into a library. It's really not as hard as it
                sounds, especially for someone who has working knowledge of all the
                programs you mentioned in a previous post.
                </very mini clip discussion>

                Julie
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 11 12:55 PM
                  Look like you are describing UBB codes. Note Tab Clips would probably be
                  a solution, there is a list specifically for Clip Libraries, I am unsure
                  if there is a conversion library for UBB codes.
                  --
                  ~~~~

                  Jeff Scism, IBSSG
                  http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
                • Don Passenger
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 11 1:42 PM
                    > I don't really care whether the capability is a function of
                    > whatever "Clips" are or not, I'm more interested in knowing whether
                    > what I describe can be done at all by NoteTab. My question was, is
                    > there a "feature within NoteTab that allows me to insert these type
                    > of codes around highlighted text strings similarly to the way the
                    > NoteTab HTML feature works."

                    There isn't a resident part of notetab that will do it. However a clip
                    (which is simple simon work) will knock it out in no time and can even be
                    made to do the highlight and paste for you if you want to automate that
                    much.

                    > I don't need to "figure out" exactly what I want it to do, I know
                    > EXACTLY what I want it to do. Perhaps I should have sent my question
                    > directly to NoteTab technical support rather than posting my question
                    > on what I thought was a NoteTab support group.

                    I am almost offended by the above, but hopefully it wasn't meant terse like
                    it reads to me, so I'll assume I am reading it wrong. The issue is we need
                    to understand what you wish to do exactly. If your original post said you
                    wanted to create and edit and then paste to the bb interface, I missed it.

                    The post is correctly directed to the clips list and they will knock out an
                    answer for you in no time flat. Once you understand the power of clips you
                    will have a whole new dimension to your computing life.
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 11 1:42 PM
                      Text of UBB.clb

                      = V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

                      H="Bold Text"

                      [b]^&[/b]

                      H="Italicize"
                      [i]^&[/]

                      H="Link"
                      [url]^&[/url]

                      H="Image"
                      [img]^&[/img]

                      H="Quote"
                      [quote]^&[/quote]

                      H="Email"
                      [email]^&[/email]
                      --
                      ~~~~

                      Jeff Scism, IBSSG
                      http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
                    • Nicole Simon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 12 6:18 PM
                        "Ron" <Yaho@...> wrote:
                        >My question was, is there a "feature within NoteTab that allows me
                        >to insert these type of codes around highlighted text strings
                        >similarly to the way the NoteTab HTML feature works

                        You did not want to have an answer to *that* question cause the answer
                        would be 'yes, of course it has'.

                        >I'm more interested in knowing whether what I describe can
                        >be done at all by NoteTab.

                        No programm can do everything everyone wants. And especially not with
                        people pushing the "do what I want" buttons.
                        But that is not your question either.

                        >Thanks for your help. I'm glad I checked things out here before
                        >purchasing the program.

                        Fact one: Notetab has exactly what you need.

                        If the codes are mainly like HTML for the exception that they have []
                        instead of <> - take one of the simple html-clips and just do a search and
                        replace.

                        Fact two: Notetab is still a *tool*, what you request is another *person*
                        doing your work; I am very very sorry to inform you that Notetab won't
                        fullfill that request.

                        And neither "NoteTab technical support" nor "NoteTab support group" can do
                        your work at you PC.

                        >I wasn't really planning on having to learn yet another
                        >computer programming language in order to use NoteTab, or to have to
                        >write a computer program to implement the feature myself however - in
                        >other words, I don't want to make a career out of learning to use
                        >NoteTab.

                        Yes, it is really very very complicated in seeing the pattern making
                        several of this

                        H="Codename"
                        [code]^&[/code]

                        for someone using "several very complex programming editors ".
                        Oh wait. You correctly said that you 'own' them. Not use it.

                        *sigh*
                        Nicole

                        --
                        Nicole Simon · nisi@... · http://www.gnak.de/
                        Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

                        yes, our blog's open: http://beissholz.de - von bissig bis garstig.
                      • Nicole Simon
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 12 6:18 PM
                          Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:
                          [..]

                          tsts. Still Notetab is unable to fullfill his needs.
                          You forgot to go to his computer and add the clip. :o)

                          Nicole

                          --
                          Nicole Simon · nisi@... · http://www.gnak.de/
                          Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

                          yes, our blog's open: http://beissholz.de - von bissig bis garstig.
                        • John Zeman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 13 5:17 AM
                            Hi Ron,

                            I find this to be an interesting topic. Your thread suggests you may
                            be a programmer yet you do not talk like one. As one of very many
                            programmers in here who use NoteTab a lot (more than every other
                            program in my machine combined), I find it to be in a class by itself
                            when it comes to creating custom functions in numerous languages
                            (HTML, PHP, CSS, Perl, JavaScript, and a few others). True, it does
                            require a little time by the user to pick up on the clips programming
                            language, but it's easy to learn (for programmers it's a piece of
                            cake to learn) and once you know it, you can do pretty much anything
                            you want.

                            Well that's not quite right.. NoteTab still can't do custom text
                            syntax highlighting, but that's should be coming in a future release.

                            John