Re: [NTB] User defined tags?

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
      > One other thing - NoteTab appears to have a macro language they call
      > the "Clip Language" that allows one to execute a series of operations
      > on an entire file by invoking a user written "Clip" script. Is that
      > correct, or am I misinterpreting the Help file information?

      You misinterpret. A clip can do ... well about anything you want it to do.
      It can easily insert the things of which you speak.

      Do you type your bb content into a notetab window and then paste it into a
      web page or what exactly are you doing?

      Figure out what it is that you want to do exactly and then join the notetab
      clips list (see the list of support email groups) and post your exact
      question over there. Clips aren't discussed on this list to keep it to the
      basic use of notetab.
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don Passenger" <dpasseng@i...> wrote:

        > Do you type your bb content into a notetab window and
        > then paste it into a web page ...

        Yes, that's precisely what I do - that way I can more easily format
        the message and add tags (ie; URL links, etc).

        I don't really care whether the capability is a function of
        whatever "Clips" are or not, I'm more interested in knowing whether
        what I describe can be done at all by NoteTab. My question was, is
        there a "feature within NoteTab that allows me to insert these type
        of codes around highlighted text strings similarly to the way the
        NoteTab HTML feature works."

        I don't need to "figure out" exactly what I want it to do, I know
        EXACTLY what I want it to do. Perhaps I should have sent my question
        directly to NoteTab technical support rather than posting my question
        on what I thought was a NoteTab support group.

        -- Ron
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
          He just told you what you ask can be done by the use of clips. Just go to
          the notetab clips list and they will show you how. Clips is the feature in
          Notetab that does what you want to do. This page will perhaps tell you how.
          This page has a bit of info for Libraries, Clips, and the Clipbar:
          http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm and second join the clips list they
          will show you how.
          Ed

          > Do you type your bb content into a notetab window and
          > then paste it into a web page ...

          Yes, that's precisely what I do - that way I can more easily format
          the message and add tags (ie; URL links, etc).

          I don't really care whether the capability is a function of
          whatever "Clips" are or not, I'm more interested in knowing whether
          what I describe can be done at all by NoteTab. My question was, is
          there a "feature within NoteTab that allows me to insert these type
          of codes around highlighted text strings similarly to the way the
          NoteTab HTML feature works."

          I don't need to "figure out" exactly what I want it to do, I know
          EXACTLY what I want it to do. Perhaps I should have sent my question
          directly to NoteTab technical support rather than posting my question
          on what I thought was a NoteTab support group.

          -- Ron

        • Julie
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
            Hi Ron,

            >I don't need to "figure out" exactly what I want it to do, I know
            >EXACTLY what I want it to do. Perhaps I should have sent my question
            >directly to NoteTab technical support rather than posting my question
            >on what I thought was a NoteTab support group.

            IMHO, you will get a quicker response to your question by posting to one of
            the NoteTab lists than sending a question directly to the support (sorry
            Jody <G>) address. There are very knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly
            people on the many NoteTab lists.

            The NoteTab Clips list has public archives @
            if you wish to peruse the list without joining. To join send an empty post to:
            ntb-Clips-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Notetab also has two Help files because the Clip language can be so
            complex. Make sure you check out the Clip help file for more information
            about writing your own clips.

            You can also right click over a clip name to edit the clip and examine the
            code to learn how to write clips. If you do that, be careful not to save
            any changes because the clip might not work after that! You can view entire
            libraries code by right clicking over the open clipbook library name, but,
            again, be careful not to save any changes you make.

            Julie
          • Ron
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Julie <gleits@c...> wrote:
              > Hi Ron,
              > Notetab also has two Help files because the Clip language
              > can be so complex. Make sure you check out the Clip help
              > file for more information about writing your own clips.

              Ok, thanks Julie. Perhaps I will pose my question to the
              NoteTab "Clips" list, but it sounds like the answer to
              my question is that NoteTab itself doesn't have this capability, but
              that I can write a computer program myself in the "Clips" language to
              do it. I wasn't really planning on having to learn yet another
              computer programming language in order to use NoteTab, or to have to
              write a computer program to implement the feature myself however - in
              other words, I don't want to make a career out of learning to use
              NoteTab.

              I had the (obviously mistaken) impression that NoteTab was a simple,
              fast, and easy to use text editor for quickly composing notes (as the
              program's title suggests), but I already own several very complex
              programming editors (Emacs for both Windows and Linux, MultiEdit,
              UltraEdit, Nedit, the Microsoft Visual Studio programming editor and
              development environment, etc) and I don't think I need another of
              those.

              Thanks for your help. I'm glad I checked things out here before
              purchasing the program.

              -- Ron
            • Mike Hopkins
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
                Ron,

                If I read your request correctly, what you are looking for sounds like NoteTabs 'find and replace' feature where one text string is
                replaced with another.

                To open the find dialog, use the menu SEARCH >> REPLACE, then, when the appropriate strings have been entered , click either the
                'replace' or 'replace all' button.

                If you first highlight the text in question it appears in the 'find text' area when the diaog opens and you then type in the
                replacement text in the 'replace with' area. Copy-'n-paste also works in both areas. Directly typing text also works, of course.

                Clips can provide you the opportunity to create a one-click solution. The Clip language is much more than a macro language where
                keystrokes are recorded and played back. It is a real programming language with loops, external calls, etc. In accordance with the
                rules of the NoteTab support lists, all discussions of clips should tke place on the clips list. To subscribe go to

                http://www.notetab.com/support.php

                and near the bottom of the page click on the link to subscribe to the NoteTab Clips list. These people will be very helpful, believe
                me. Also read the clips help.

                I will tell you here that the result of a customized clip book will STRONGLY resemble the HTML clipbooks included with your trial
                NoteTab. ( a clipbook is a group of {usually} related clips.)

                I hope 8^) this is an helpful response and that I haven't misunderstood your question.

                *****

                An alternate method -- and less practical one for an experienced NoteTab user -- would be to type the content of your custom tags as
                you type the text of your response, but bracket them with non-useful keyboard characters such as ^ carot (shift-six), | pipe
                (shift-backslash) and \ backslash. You could then use the find>>replace>>replace all combination on each character to replace it
                with the appropriate slash or bracket. Over a short period of time clips would be much more efficient, I think.

                *****

                Happy NoteTabbin'!

                Mike Hopkins
                ironmike@...

                > their particular forums. Typically the codes are very much like a
                > subset of HTML, except that the angle-brackets are replaced with left
                > and right square brackets. For example, in order to make text bold or
                > italic, these forums use codes like this:
                >
                > [b]bold text[/b]
                > [i]italicized text[/i]
                >
                > If someone can point me to a feature within NoteTab that allows me to
                > insert these type of codes around highlighted text strings
                >
                > -- Ron Dotson
              • Julie
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
                  Hi Ron,

                  >Ok, thanks Julie. Perhaps I will pose my question to the
                  >NoteTab "Clips" list, but it sounds like the answer to
                  >my question is that NoteTab itself doesn't have this capability, but
                  >that I can write a computer program myself in the "Clips" language to
                  >do it. I wasn't really planning on having to learn yet another
                  >computer programming language in order to use NoteTab, or to have to
                  >write a computer program to implement the feature myself however - in
                  >other words, I don't want to make a career out of learning to use
                  >NoteTab.

                  ~light coming on~
                  I think I'm beginning to see... you're looking for something where you can
                  *record* these macros you want to use in a simple fashion, rather than
                  learning the language, hm? Basic text manipulation, such as what's found
                  in the HTML library is very easy.

                  Take for example the Bold clip in the HTML library. It looks like this...

                  <very mini clip discussion>
                  H="Bold"
                  ^!InsertHtml <B>^&</B>

                  The ^& code takes the highlighted text in the document and inserts it into
                  the document so similarly using your code example

                  H="Bold"
                  [b]^&[/b]

                  would turn a selected
                  serendipity
                  into
                  [b]serendipity[/b]

                  I'm sure someone on the Clips list could write you a clip very quickly
                  where you could be prompted for the "code" you want, that would actually
                  create the clip and paste it into a library. It's really not as hard as it
                  sounds, especially for someone who has working knowledge of all the
                  programs you mentioned in a previous post.
                  </very mini clip discussion>

                  Julie
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
                    Look like you are describing UBB codes. Note Tab Clips would probably be
                    a solution, there is a list specifically for Clip Libraries, I am unsure
                    if there is a conversion library for UBB codes.
                    --
                    ~~~~

                    Jeff Scism, IBSSG
                    http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
                  • Don Passenger
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
                      > I don't really care whether the capability is a function of
                      > whatever "Clips" are or not, I'm more interested in knowing whether
                      > what I describe can be done at all by NoteTab. My question was, is
                      > there a "feature within NoteTab that allows me to insert these type
                      > of codes around highlighted text strings similarly to the way the
                      > NoteTab HTML feature works."

                      There isn't a resident part of notetab that will do it. However a clip
                      (which is simple simon work) will knock it out in no time and can even be
                      made to do the highlight and paste for you if you want to automate that
                      much.

                      > I don't need to "figure out" exactly what I want it to do, I know
                      > EXACTLY what I want it to do. Perhaps I should have sent my question
                      > directly to NoteTab technical support rather than posting my question
                      > on what I thought was a NoteTab support group.

                      I am almost offended by the above, but hopefully it wasn't meant terse like
                      it reads to me, so I'll assume I am reading it wrong. The issue is we need
                      to understand what you wish to do exactly. If your original post said you
                      wanted to create and edit and then paste to the bb interface, I missed it.

                      The post is correctly directed to the clips list and they will knock out an
                      answer for you in no time flat. Once you understand the power of clips you
                      will have a whole new dimension to your computing life.
                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 11, 2003
                        Text of UBB.clb

                        = V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30

                        H="Bold Text"

                        [b]^&[/b]

                        H="Italicize"
                        [i]^&[/]

                        H="Link"
                        [url]^&[/url]

                        H="Image"
                        [img]^&[/img]

                        H="Quote"
                        [quote]^&[/quote]

                        H="Email"
                        [email]^&[/email]
                        --
                        ~~~~

                        Jeff Scism, IBSSG
                        http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
                      • Nicole Simon
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 12, 2003
                          "Ron" <Yaho@...> wrote:
                          >My question was, is there a "feature within NoteTab that allows me
                          >to insert these type of codes around highlighted text strings
                          >similarly to the way the NoteTab HTML feature works

                          You did not want to have an answer to *that* question cause the answer
                          would be 'yes, of course it has'.

                          >I'm more interested in knowing whether what I describe can
                          >be done at all by NoteTab.

                          No programm can do everything everyone wants. And especially not with
                          people pushing the "do what I want" buttons.
                          But that is not your question either.

                          >Thanks for your help. I'm glad I checked things out here before
                          >purchasing the program.

                          Fact one: Notetab has exactly what you need.

                          If the codes are mainly like HTML for the exception that they have []
                          instead of <> - take one of the simple html-clips and just do a search and
                          replace.

                          Fact two: Notetab is still a *tool*, what you request is another *person*
                          doing your work; I am very very sorry to inform you that Notetab won't
                          fullfill that request.

                          And neither "NoteTab technical support" nor "NoteTab support group" can do
                          your work at you PC.

                          >I wasn't really planning on having to learn yet another
                          >computer programming language in order to use NoteTab, or to have to
                          >write a computer program to implement the feature myself however - in
                          >other words, I don't want to make a career out of learning to use
                          >NoteTab.

                          Yes, it is really very very complicated in seeing the pattern making
                          several of this

                          H="Codename"
                          [code]^&[/code]

                          for someone using "several very complex programming editors ".
                          Oh wait. You correctly said that you 'own' them. Not use it.

                          *sigh*
                          Nicole

                          --
                          Nicole Simon · nisi@... · http://www.gnak.de/
                          Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

                          yes, our blog's open: http://beissholz.de - von bissig bis garstig.
                        • Nicole Simon
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 12, 2003
                            Jeff Scism <scismgenie@...> wrote:
                            [..]

                            tsts. Still Notetab is unable to fullfill his needs.
                            You forgot to go to his computer and add the clip. :o)

                            Nicole

                            --
                            Nicole Simon · nisi@... · http://www.gnak.de/
                            Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.

                            yes, our blog's open: http://beissholz.de - von bissig bis garstig.
                          • John Zeman
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 13, 2003
                              Hi Ron,

                              I find this to be an interesting topic. Your thread suggests you may
                              be a programmer yet you do not talk like one. As one of very many
                              programmers in here who use NoteTab a lot (more than every other
                              program in my machine combined), I find it to be in a class by itself
                              when it comes to creating custom functions in numerous languages
                              (HTML, PHP, CSS, Perl, JavaScript, and a few others). True, it does
                              require a little time by the user to pick up on the clips programming
                              language, but it's easy to learn (for programmers it's a piece of
                              cake to learn) and once you know it, you can do pretty much anything
                              you want.

                              Well that's not quite right.. NoteTab still can't do custom text
                              syntax highlighting, but that's should be coming in a future release.

                              John